Free kitchen sink designs from Nigeria

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Marcelo
NSF

Re: GMDX Mode- V1 Release

Post by Marcelo »

The only way I see it working in any way would be to give the ability to make your own homade bombs or molotovs by combining different materials (a la MacGyver). I think something similar was done in 2027 but in the case that you had to combine elements to upgrade, recharge or repair things. I reckon this means lot of work.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

It was done in TNM, right?
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

I have a good idea for you. Do you think you could make it easier to activate some augs by making it possible to assign augs to the quick select bar (numbers 1-9)?
YK: And you... you... are a bad actress.
(unknown sound)
MC: And you have one less finger...
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I dunno, I'm not sure the reason but you cannot unbind aug keys vanilla. I'm guessing you want it done because you can just use mousewheel for toolbar, and 0-9 for augs?
It's probably not possible i'm guessing, doesn't bother me anyway as I play with console pad more often than M + K ;)
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

Yeah, thats the idea! Weapons i can change with the mouse wheel. Pressing F7 every time that i wan't to run with the speed aug gets very annoying, or deadly if i have to use it in the middle of combat or if i accidentaly dropped from very high! Same thing with all the useful augs, that are from F5 and forword.

But i'm not talking of putting every aug to the numbers. I was saying that you should be able to drag augmentations you like from the aug screen to the toolbar, so you can activate them more easily!

For example my toolbar would look like this.

1.Primary weapon
2.Running
3.Cloack
4.PROD!!!!!!!
5.Medkit

mousewheel should not select augmentations, but only cycle through weapons/stuff. Once you press the numbered key, the aug should activate like if you pressed the coresponding F key. Lastly the augs would not be unbinded from the F keys, they would just be assigned a numbered key also!
(unknown sound)
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

My Toolbar is usually filled with weapons ;) You could probably change aug keys in user.ini. Well, not change them, but have other keys activate them as well.

Some GMDX screenshots: http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... brary/GMDX
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

Seeing the helicopter take off, makes me wish that the player could have a helicopter battle and if he skip it (stealth/run/backway), it could come to the airfield and search for the player with headlights, making the stealth harder.
(unknown sound)
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

It's possible i'm certain, although if it were to happen it would have to be later in the game when the player is well-equipped to take one on if he so chooses.
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

Are you sure? I think it's imposible! First of all it's not a real vechicle, it's just a mesh (not sure if i use the term corectly) that is programmed to move. So i'm not sure if you can add hitpoints and AI to it.

Second problem i think, would be that a moving source of light is not supported by the Unreal Engine. So no headlights to search for the player.

But if it could be done, it would be awesome i think. Also you are well equiped at this stage, you have the GEP gun from paul and if you didn't you'd have the sniper, which can be used to take down a helicopter. Also in the secret room, you can find a LAW. Or you could climb high, were the sniper is, and throw LAMs at it! Finaly if you are not into fighting, you can stealth past it and also there is a second way out.
(unknown sound)
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

AI is the problem. Coding up realistic flying behaviour is...not trivial.
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

Maybe they could do add something like that in Deus Ex 2, i hear that they will use Unreal engine 2 that has vechicle support... :)
OH WAIT!
(unknown sound)
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DDentonas wrote:Are you sure? I think it's imposible! First of all it's not a real vechicle, it's just a mesh (not sure if i use the term corectly) that is programmed to move. So i'm not sure if you can add hitpoints and AI to it.
Of course you can.
But if it could be done, it would be awesome i think. Also you are well equiped at this stage, you have the GEP gun from paul and if you didn't you'd have the sniper, which can be used to take down a helicopter. Also in the secret room, you can find a LAW. Or you could climb high, were the sniper is, and throw LAMs at it! Finaly if you are not into fighting, you can stealth past it and also there is a second way out.
I hate one shot weapons. All that effort coding it up etc and BAM the player shoots down your efforts without even trying.
One shot weapons require no effort or skill.
DDL wrote:AI is the problem. Coding up realistic flying behaviour is...not trivial.
Scripted entirely with interpolation points, but the rotation of the chopper always facing the player during attack patterns ;)

But Deus Ex deserves better than that. Something like Half-Life's chopper battle, only avoidable.
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

What do you mean like half life? Freeman had tons of ammo. In deus ex you have a small ammo pool, and everything dies with one or two hits. Me thinks that a Helo would be down with two GEP rockets, or a LAW and a GEP (total of 450 damage?), or if you are advanced or Master in Heavy weapons, with one GEP rocket? EMP grenades should stop the rottors, but since its an movable and flying target, it would make the shot very hard.

But.. the Helo would have to be very deadly, so that the player has very small windows of time to take his shots (if he chooses to fight it).

Other then that, you must think about weaponry. Missiles are a good choise, but if the player has the ADS at max, it could make the battle trivial. A mix of missiles and machineguns would be a better choice i think.

Again i don't think it's possible, but i like fantasizing.
(unknown sound)
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DDentonas wrote:What do you mean like half life? Freeman had tons of ammo. In deus ex you have a small ammo pool, and everything dies with one or two hits.
#-o
JC can carry just as much ammo as Freeman, probably more.
(total of 450 damage?),
No, higher.
Again i don't think it's possible, but i like fantasizing.
I think you like fantasizing about it NOT being possible, as it very much is.
DDL

Post by DDL »

I think you're underestimating what a lot of work it would be.

A) interpolation points are an arse to work with, and if you're going down that route your helicopter is already essentially just a mobile scripted event (also, your helicopter will have to travel in figure of eight loops, because if you loop interpolation points your actor has to finish at the same rotation it started, not 'same rotation plus a whole turn'), so if the player fucks off inside or something, the heli will still be flying back and forth on its track, and it will all look a bit weird. Making it less weird simply would make a mobile scripted event into a mobile HEAVILY scripted event, and it would still be weird.

B) AI coding for a flying object that behaves realistically is ..an arse. Hell, it's hard enough to get scriptedpawns to not behave stupidly, let alone "all of the above plus momentum and an extra dimension of freedom"

Believe me, I've tried both. Interp points are the easier way to go, by far, but only really work where your demands are very small, and very transient.