GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: GMDXv9.0 Announced

Post by Jonas »

Dunno about redundant, but the flamethrower currently fills a space in the arsenal that no other weapon really does: it's a lethal close-range splash damage weapon (the tear gas being the non-lethal version of it). There's already WP ammo for the GEP gun which is a long-range fire-based projectile, so if a napalm launcher (ahem) were to be implemented its effective range should probably fall somewhere in between, and I would definitely recommend keeping the current flamethrower functionality alongside the new :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yeah, I'd just add the new ammo type, adjust the normal ammo type values accordingly for balancing, and then we can have both types of fun. But usually if it's something I'm unsure about or is controversial/polarising I usually just leave it as vanilla, or make it toggle-able in the options, the latter of which I won't bother with for an ammo type.
Entrance to smugglers now looks more like a parking garage: http://oi68.tinypic.com/1h48hw.jpg
Vanilla from a different angle for reference: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/deu ... -prefix=en
Bird
NSF

Post by Bird »

Cybernetic pig wrote:20mm ammo is so rare that nothing is redundant to it.
Good point. I fired up Deus Ex and I was toying with WP GEP rockets, vanilla GEP rockets and 20 mm HE rounds. Verdict: GEP rockets and 20 mm HE rounds are quite the same.
Cybernetic pig wrote: What would make it redundant anyway in your eyes?
I overlooked that cylinder of thermite would not create an explosion, rather it would sit there igniting nearby actors until dies out as the white phosphorus rocket does it. So, it would be different.

My initial logic which turned out to be flawed was that thermite round would explode upon contact.

Would the possibility be idiotic if one could ignite that double-walled napalm canister and throw it away in a manner a person throws away a TNT stick?

Garage entrance looks good.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Bird wrote: Would the possibility be idiotic if one could ignite that double-walled napalm canister and throw it away in a manner a person throws away a TNT stick?
From a realism POV, probably. Gameplay, could be interesting. Requires new anims so it's a no-go either way.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Wouldn't it have the same effect as a Molotov Cocktail? Because TNM has one with animations, and I'm sure you'll get a permission to rip it out of it.
Unless I'm missing something and the thermite + napalm has a more nuanced behavior than creating a big ball of flame and then a lingering flame.

I don't see the place of thermite alone - flare darts can already torch NPCs, and there are many ways of breaking barriers using things other items - one of them is the crossbow with normal darts, which does pretty good damage (especially if you're specialized and it's upgraded).
Shadowdancerxxl
NSF

Post by Shadowdancerxxl »

Helloooooooo

Just registered on this website, because I promised CyberP to sign up and continue harrasing him here even more!

On a more serious note. I'm happy to see that people in this thread also share to a certain extent my passion of fire and also noticed that the vanilla game seriously lacks flame based weapons. So I can't really roleplay a pyromaniac and an arsonist on a level I'd want to which is a pity. This is why I loved The Nameless Mod, because it gave me aside from the vanilla weapons also a flame sword, a napalm launcher, molotov cocktails plus it improved the flame effects and allowed me to torch a few more stuff in the game. Also if I set someone on fire even after they died they still kept burning for a few more minutes. Perfect.

GMDX gave me the flare darts perk which allows me to set my enemies on fire, but it still doesn't fully satisfy my desire to see the world burn.

As already mentioned a few posts before me the molotiv cocktail from TNM would definitely fit the game and would somewhat fill the void in my heart while playing GMDX. The model is detailed enough for me. I only felt the throwing mechanics is a bit awkward in TNM, but I could still live with that. Also in the console version's intro you can see a guy throwing a molotov cocktail! I call this false advertisement!

I'm kinda surprised nobody mentioned that brown-red incendiary grenade model used in 2027 and a few other mods. This could also be added to the game, but unlike the molotiv cocktail that would break and then burn for a minute or so on the ground this could basically work like throwable WP rocket. Both these things would belong to the demolition weapon skill and would make it more useful.

I kinda like this "Thermite Launcher" in this youtube video posted a few days ago in this thread. Kinda reminds me on the heavy incinerator and that's good. Although I kinda like the vanilla flamethrower as it is. Yeah I know it's not realistic, because flamethrowers aren't really used any more, because they have been replaced by RPO-A Shmel and similar weapons which are basically GEP Guns with WP rockets. But where's the fun if you set something on fire from a distance? I mean you want to be up close to bask in its beauty! Using it as an alt ammo/alt fire mod could be cool, but I think that'd require a decent looking projectile animation wouldn't it?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx A mod that improves Deus Ex's gameplay, maps, visuals, audio etc. whilst staying loyal to its original design? Yes my friend, you may touch yourself with the light now.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

You mean this one?
Kelkos wrote:
CyberP, how about this new advancement for the flamethrower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEoqrjFX1yI
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Acquired this effect from RTCW. You can use it as the thermite projectile. Spawn some sparks near it and Voila!
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (22.05 KiB) Viewed 7301 times
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Shadowdancerxxl
NSF

Yeah, but I'd imagine it in GMDX being something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2aePPGee4g
http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx A mod that improves Deus Ex's gameplay, maps, visuals, audio etc. whilst staying loyal to its original design? Yes my friend, you may touch yourself with the light now.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Flamethrower stuff GMDX does:

-Smaller inventory size (2x3 or six slots as opposed to eight), the size it always should have been to equal its worth.
-Improved flame effects.
-Improved handling.
-Range mods now increase the weapon's range instead of doing nothing.
-AI set on fire now run around sensibly instead of running into walls. If they can find a path anyway.
-Fixed a bug where the fire sound would stop playing.
-NPCs use the weapon at slightly bigger range, actually making them a threat and providing greater realism. Before they'd try to get right in your face despite the weapon have greater range capability, and they never stood much a chance.
-The weapon accepts one or two new types of weapon mod.
-late-game armored/augmented NPCs take consecutive flame damage before they set on fire. Just enough to actually demand some skill while still remaining semi-believable. And now the damage stat means something. For example NPC x takes 10 flame damage before catching aflame. With master skill that's three fireballs. Or one if it's a head shot. Untrained it's five fireballs, or one of it's a headshot.

Bold = New in v9.0

I don't share the same desire to see the world burn and its optimized nicely so I doubt I'll do more than that, but as usual suggestions are very welcome.

Does anyone get framerate issues when using the weapon? It seems an NPC on fire and running around right in your face has a notable impact on performance, but that's vanilla or Smoke89's modification to the NPC on fire effect present in HDTP.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Oh and the problem with 2027's napalm grenade is it uses 2027's gloved hands model (iirc) and it's low poly low res, as opposed to HDTP's grenade set. I intend to make the game visually more consistent where possible.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Listen, CyberP. I've got some friends at gamebanana. I've downloaded a Hi-Res version of their fire extinguisher as opposed to the ones in GMDX. I just need to know if they'll be able to convert it from source to dx.

http://gamebanana.com/skins/40636
Shadowdancerxxl
NSF

Yeah, I agree with the flamethrower being good as it is. I only thought I'd throw in this idea in case you wouldn't find the fire-based weapon arsenal sufficient enough in GMDX.

In case of the napalm grenade I guess the molotov cocktail would get denied for the same reasons. Low poly resoultion. Np, I can live with that.

Only thing I'd ask for actually is one or two napalm canisters on Battery Park/New York first visit. I'd love to start out as a heavy weapon character with having pistol/flare crossbow as back up weapons, but GMDX doesn't really give me anything to work with. GEP Gun is only for bots np, Plasma rifle and its ammunition is understandable, that I can't simply find them laying around in some alley in a box, so that leaves me with the flamethrower which I'm totally happy with, except for the fact that I can't really find ammo for it. I can get the gun in Castle Clinton which is acceptable, but having the extra napalm canister hidden in that room where you can find the aug canister plus the flamethrower in Osgood 'n' Sons removed makes it really hard for me to set the world on fire. And use heavy weapons of course! If you'd restore these two canisters I'd be more than happy. Although a few extra flare darts laying around here and there wouldn't be unwelcome either!

About the flamethrower npcs posing little to threat because of their weapon's limited range why not simply do what the The Nameless Mod did? More specifically give every character who has a flamethrower also a pistol as a backup. This way if you get out their flamethrower's range they wouldn't keep charging at you making them look like a joke, but instead they'd pull out their pistol and keep firing at you with that instead.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Weapon switch animations aren't really good, or to be more accurate, actually exist. It's quite jarring seeing NPCs switch weapons.

And every playthrough style needs to be a little more flexible in the beginning, because it isn't fully realized (skill and aug wise) and doesn't have all the weapon it needs. Playing heavy weapons leaves you with a ton of free space in the beginning because you only have 2 out of 3 weapons for it.
If you want to torch stuff, there are plenty of flare darts in the beginning (and that will set you back a bit as it requires an investment in handguns, but flexibility is key). If you want to bomb stuff as all heavy weapons users do, put some more into demolitions and collect grenades. Due to the rarity of the 20mm HE ammo, putting points in rifles doesn't really help you.
That's why I also think there should be a Molotov Cocktail, to supplement the non-lethal option of gas grenades with a lethal fire-based one. And to prevent investing in handguns just for a little segment of flame-darts use.

Also, it's probably the easiest to make improvised bomb, so if there's a civilian uprising (NSF, Silhouette) it should be common. All you need is some petrol, a bottle, and a rag.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Kelkos wrote:Listen, CyberP. I've got some friends at gamebanana. I've downloaded a Hi-Res version of their fire extinguisher as opposed to the ones in GMDX. I just need to know if they'll be able to convert it from source to dx.

http://gamebanana.com/skins/40636
Can't use it. For starters it says "500 dollar fine" on it. DX currency is credits.