GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

RoSoDude
Thug

Re: GMDXv9.0 Announced

Post by RoSoDude »

Shadowdancerxxl wrote:
RoSoDude wrote:Hey, one more thing while it's on my mind. There's been a bug since vanilla where interacting with ATMs causes whatever key you have bound for interaction to be inputted into the "Account #" field. Most players might not know this because the default interact keybinding is RMB, so it doesn't input anything. I use "f" for interact, so whenever I touch an ATM there's already an f there, which is mildly annoying.

Don't know if this is something you can even fix, but I thought I'd bring it up.
I just have to ask: If you're using "F" for interaction, then for what are you using the right mouse button?
Zooming in with scopes. I like to have a relatively unified control scheme between first person games, and I've settled on F as the interact key. It's quite natural for me, in a way that RMB could never be.

To be honest I don't think I use the default control scheme for nearly any PC games.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

RoSoDude wrote:Hey, one more thing while it's on my mind. There's been a bug since vanilla where interacting with ATMs causes whatever key you have bound for interaction to be inputted into the "Account #" field. Most players might not know this because the default interact keybinding is RMB, so it doesn't input anything. I use "f" for interact, so whenever I touch an ATM there's already an f there, which is mildly annoying.

Don't know if this is something you can even fix, but I thought I'd bring it up.
Done. Just for you :smile:

Ended up going with MiC's suggestion to fix it.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

RoSoDude, is this issue specific to ATMs or does it also occur in computer terminals? Security terminals should be OK because they have an animation before they open up the menu.

If it doesn't, a proper solution might've been implemented by Ion Storm but only in the case of computer terminals, and it's best to implement it instead of mine.
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

I remember that issue occurring with all computer instances.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

ATMs only. At least according to my tests.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Ran a test on my end, also tested it with keypads and "use" button mapped to the number key - everything runs as it should, no double input. The issue is exclusive to ATMs.

Something I should note is that with all of these objects, except the ATM, you can still move slightly even after initiating the interaction. I'm guessing a solution similar to what I've suggested was implemented in vanilla - so for consistency's sake (and also, to reduce lag). The only case where lag shouldn't be reduced is the security terminal because it relies on an animation playing out.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Made in China wrote:The only case where lag shouldn't be reduced is the security terminal because it relies on an animation playing out.
Ah but GMDX already addressed that by increasing the animation speed a little. So you can't activate the panel and then run to the other side of the room and hide under a table, which is both immersion-breaking and an exploit of sorts. Still, you can get some distance between yourself and the panel in GMDX but the time frame is notably shorter now, without the animation itself ending up being unbelievable.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I've reread my previous post - I meant to say that the delay should be reduced to a minimum all across interactable objects, except the security terminal. I'm not sure why I didn't complete that sentence, I clearly remember writing it - I've probably over-deleted.

Anyway, random idea time - Deus Ex seems to have a problem if you kill both Anna Navarre and Juan Lebedev on the 747, and AFAIK only seems to acknowledge the one you've done first - if you killed Anna first, you'll get scolded. If you killed Lebedev first, you'll get praised. Is there a way to cherry pick lines that apply to the case you've simply killed everyone?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Perhaps. It would probably take some heavy selective picking though, to the point there's little dialogue left...

It's alright, it's kind of an edge case event. Most players should be invested in the story by that point and wouldn't see killing both as a desirable option no matter their political or moral views. That's a multiple repeat playthrough kind of thing to test the boundaries of the game and squeeze the most out of it. It's a problem but there's not much anyone can do about it.
Shadowdancerxxl
NSF

Post by Shadowdancerxxl »

Well if you decide to kill both just for the hell of it, then you're just trying to break the game : DD Anyway, the game then simply treats the situation as if Anna killed Lebedev after your third conversation with him and you killed Anna out of rage or something like that. Even Alex says "I guess you have to stand up to which you believe in" meaning he sort of understands that killing off Anna was kinda justified, because she went against everything UNATCO officially stands for.

Although, do you get praised if you kill Lebedev first? I mean if you kill Anna as well, then Manderely will be like "Here's your bonus. No use splitting hairs this time." So basically he knows that Anna got killed on the plane and it has probably something to do with you not killing Lebedev.
Soldiers only heard that there was some shooting on the plane and will say in every scenario "I heard you got Lebedev. Way to go!".
Maybe Gunther's conversation could be altered so JC will say "Yeah uhh.. there was some shooting on the 747" instead of "Sorry, you can't execute Lebedev, I already killed him." if he doesn't say that already if both Anna and Lebedev are dead. Because if JC killed Anna for killing Lebedev, then obviously he would lie his ass off and would say he didn't exactly saw what happened.

Anyway! The only thing I can think of to make sure the player can't break the game is that if the player decides to kill one of them, then the other will automatically switch to binvincible=true unless if Anna kills Lebedev, because then it makes sense that you kill her afterwards. So basically if you kill Lebedev first, then Anna will become immortal and vice versa.
Not sure if this is possible this way or if CyberP wants to fuck around with this trivial matter. I'm okay either way.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx A mod that improves Deus Ex's gameplay, maps, visuals, audio etc. whilst staying loyal to its original design? Yes my friend, you may touch yourself with the light now.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Shadowdancerxxl wrote: Anyway! The only thing I can think of to make sure the player can't break the game is that if the player decides to kill one of them, then the other will automatically switch to binvincible=true unless if Anna kills Lebedev, because then it makes sense that you kill her afterwards. So basically if you kill Lebedev first, then Anna will become immortal and vice versa.
Not sure if this is possible this way or if CyberP wants to fuck around with this trivial matter. I'm okay either way.
Already thought of that, but its certainly a massive hack job, and a LAM would probably blow them both up before any scripting can occur unless I were to put a special case within core explosion code, which is another hack job in itself. Definitely another thing best left alone.

Well, I guess I could override TakeDamage() in both Lebedev and Navarre to check for the existence of the other NPC and if not then negate the damage, but still. It's not really anything anyone can adequately fix without the original voice actors.

Any moar ideas? Get them in quick, as remember this is intended to be the final version. If there is something wrong with the game and I can fix it, and haven't already fixed it, and should fix it, I will.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Kim Wincen brought up a good point about the soda vending machine - in HDTP, the lemon lime is really far away from orange.
I don't suggest scrapping it - it still looks good. I'm suggesting swapping the labels through the magic of the Photoshop lasso tool - it should be a pretty easy texture fix.
Shadowdancerxxl
NSF

Cybernetic pig wrote:
Any moar ideas? Get them in quick, as remember this is intended to be the final version. If there is something wrong with the game and I can fix it, and haven't already fixed it, and should fix it, I will.
Now that you mention it!

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/deu ... -prefix=en

"Nanite aerosol reservoir allows remote detonation of explosives" (Yeah CyberP, you know where I'm going with this : DD)

This is not my usual masochistic gamer request, it stands in the datacube, that Walton Simons has an ADS installed. I know we've talked about this in the past and I agree with you that giving him a regular ADS aug that denotes rockets and grenades in novice players' faces would be kinda cheap so I came up with a more elegant idea. Basically borrow the EMP forcefield aug from the 2027 mod. Since you played the mod as well I don't have to go into great details what it does. It basically deactivates rockets and grenades in a certain range of the user making sure you can't simply blow him up. Only modification I would add that it should only affects rockets and grenades, but shouldn't directly emp attack the player or nearby bots and security devices. This way you could fix this error that has been around since the very beginning, but still make sure that it doesn't feel cheap. Your current system what Walton has that the first 2-3 missiles you fire at him explode in his face, but somehow doesn't damage him at all while gunfire damages him immediately feels kinda weird. Obviously this should only apply to the hardcore mode.

Please don't hate me for throwing yet another version of the Walton Simons ADS aug idea at you for like the third time : DD But I really feel the game designers probably forgot to implement this. Otherwise why would they put that datacube into the game that lists Walton Simons' augs if they are not going to give him those augs.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx A mod that improves Deus Ex's gameplay, maps, visuals, audio etc. whilst staying loyal to its original design? Yes my friend, you may touch yourself with the light now.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Why not make ADS affect electronic systems, then? It should be consistent between the PC and the NPCs.

For grenades, it deactivates their sensors, and maybe even their fuse.
For GEP guns, it jams their targeting - which in direct-aim mode can either flip the missile's direction, or make them fire with the largest aiming reticle (NPCs will be inaccurate).
For LAWs and bot/commando rockets, I don't know. Maybe not being able to fire them in a certain radius, but really-long range aiming still works?
Shadowdancerxxl
NSF

Made in China wrote:Why not make ADS affect electronic systems, then? It should be consistent between the PC and the NPCs.

For grenades, it deactivates their sensors, and maybe even their fuse.
For GEP guns, it jams their targeting - which in direct-aim mode can either flip the missile's direction, or make them fire with the largest aiming reticle (NPCs will be inaccurate).
For LAWs and bot/commando rockets, I don't know. Maybe not being able to fire them in a certain radius, but really-long range aiming still works?
I'd be down with that, but I think I already brought this up to CyberP (without the modification) and I think he thought 2027 emp forcefield would be kinda overpowered. I mean in that mod wherever Magnus went (the guy who had that aug) every camera and turret went into dizzy mode, plus if you were close to him you received like a -20 units EMP damage every 2 seconds which deactivated a big security bot in like 8 seconds by simply standing near it so I had to add some kind of nerf to make it sound less overpowered even if it makes it also sound less consistent.

Now that I think of it, it could deactivate explosives, but could simply deal less emp damage to the player and enemy bots (like 5% or so). And if also used as a player augmentation since a blast costs like 20 units of bio energy and since in GMDX hardcore mode you only have limited energy due to the repair bots only giving you 2 shots this wouldn't come off as overpowered! Thanks, MiC!