Haven't I seen Adam Jensen before.

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Faith.

Actually Faith looks a little French, come to think of it...

(Obviously not.)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Dead-eye wrote:I have a feeling like Anna and Gunther were extreme cases of augmentation work. Both Bret and Adam look like there augmentations are more socially acceptable like the bar tender in hells kitchen.

Maybe the cap on his head is to augment his vision.
But that kind of goes against the racism stuff. ie. No-Mechs Allowed! I was hoping they'd incorporate the ability to choose what physiology you have and use that to ultimately shape who will like you and who will hate you. Plus Barrett still looks very mech like- however not to the extent of Gunther. Sadly Deus Ex 1 doesn't do any of the mechs Justice and for a reason, its trying to prove that they are obsolete.

It would be cool to play as a pure human or play as an over the top mech like Gunther or somewhere in the middle. Space Siege did this though that game sucked but I blame that on trying to be a "spiritual successor" and failing. But its a good idea because it restricts where you can go based on your physiology as well as people's reactions and of course gives you a trade off.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

If Anna didn't have that Eye thing going on I could Imagine myself thinking a sentence that had the words "Anna", "sex" and "with" in it. But because of that eye thing the sentence would also contain the word "Not" somewhere in it.

What a shame. :-k
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Dead-eye wrote: I'm just glad he looks cooler then I imaged a Rent-a-cop would when they first made mention of his character.
He only doesn't look like a rental cop because they rebuilt him after the intro accident, originally he looked like this:
Plastic surgery is amazing in the 2020's.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Dead-eye wrote:If Anna didn't have that Eye thing going on I could Imagine myself thinking a sentence that had the words "Anna", "sex" and "with" in it. But because of that eye thing the sentence would also contain the word "Not" somewhere in it.

What a shame. :-k
Why we weren't able to go down that path in Deus Ex disappointed me. You could see the potential.. but NO :( I mean befriending two mechs has its advantages no?
Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Post by Fulgrymm »

Not when you have to kill them in the near future.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

that's what I meant duh.. that it sucked you "had to kill them" I wanted the option NOT to and instead befriend them.
Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Post by Fulgrymm »

Mmm, except that they seemed pretty brainwashed by the whole "kill all terrorists" thing. It would have been an interesting dynamic to be able to convince them to join you.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

You don't actually have to kill either of them, of course. :P

But it does, admittedly, really really try to encourage this.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:that's what I meant duh.. that it sucked you "had to kill them" I wanted the option NOT to and instead befriend them.
I felt like Gunther was my buddy when I was at UNATCO. :(
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Unatcoborn ftw!
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Placebo
MJ12

Post by Placebo »

Hm..."Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep?"

I guess he looks to me like Harrison Ford as Rick Deckard in Blade Runner, if you add the shades =)
ImageEvery morning, I meditate about love and peace... I stop after three seconds.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Jetsetlemming wrote:
Dead-eye wrote: I'm just glad he looks cooler then I imaged a Rent-a-cop would when they first made mention of his character.
He only doesn't look like a rental cop because they rebuilt him after the intro accident, originally he looked like this:
Plastic surgery is amazing in the 2020's.
Ahh! I was going to ask if that was the sec dude from le Croix's HQ but then I saw the image link which confirmed this :)

I do like speaking to that dude when i'm in the area - he's funny!

I'm currently in the warrens in Hollywood. This is my first play-through and i'm really enjoying it - but the warrens are pretty evil!
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Deus Ex was limited in choices, but that had good reasons (development time, etc). The Gunther/Anna thing was brilliant. I would have liked to choose to save them too, but that was the point. Sure, maybe the developers didn't have time to set that choice structure up, but it was the story! There was an emotional attachment to Anna and Gunther, and it was complex (Respect? Honour? Sexual?). The storytelling created this emotional attachment, with that arc ending in betrayal and ultimately playing out the roles that UNATCO had set up for the mechs and the playercharacter. The mechs and their storyline embodied the whole Warrior's or Assassin's Code idea, and we're still talking now about not wanting to kill them with their deaths being like an inescapable fate. I'm talking a lot of airy complexity about some superficially simple ideas in a videogame, but none of this is represented in other games and it drives me nuts.

DX3 has a lot of potential if they tie in how each mod changes the playercharacter's appearance. I think it has a lot to prove though in how other mechs act in AI, and how some crazy fun gadgets might get pushed out of the way in favour of extreme endurance, speed, and strength (the way Deus Ex 1 had mechs having bodyparts replaced entirely with machinery). Otherwise Deus Ex 1 looks idiotic when a security guard can see and lethally punch through walls, while Gunther just runs around shooting stuff. Beyond that, Mr_C's ideas in his post on the 9th are really cool, like DX2's nanoaug-discrimination, but with choice and better social interaction.