Fallout 3 upgrade system as much fun as Deus Ex

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Post by Fulgrymm »

I hope it's set in Skyrim. If Bloodmoon was a taste of what Skyrim is like, it should kick a ton of ass.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

yeah you'd hope it would be like Bloodmoon, that wasn't too bad- unlike Tribunal that broke the game :D (breaking in that you can kill the Dark Brotherhood soldiers shit easy at the start of the game and sell their loot for 1000s of gold right at the start- if you roll a good character that is.)

My mistake then, I haven't finished fallout 1 in more than 14 years so my memory is really rusty.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

But I haven't EVER finished Fallout 1, so don't trust me too easily ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

damn it Jonas.. learn to finish games lol :D
Taskeen
Thug

Post by Taskeen »

Well, I have been meaning to load up my old save files for Fallout 2 and System Shock 2. I lost my old save file for Deus Ex so I have to start over (although, I'm waiting for HTDP). I have not completed any of those games, but it will happen in my life time!
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:yeah you'd hope it would be like Bloodmoon, that wasn't too bad- unlike Tribunal that broke the game :D (breaking in that you can kill the Dark Brotherhood soldiers shit easy at the start of the game and sell their loot for 1000s of gold right at the start- if you roll a good character that is.)

My mistake then, I haven't finished fallout 1 in more than 14 years so my memory is really rusty.
Morrowind was irretrievably broken from the outset (potion skill, anyone?), so you can't blame Tribunal for that.

Not that that made it any less of an awesome game, mind you.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Jonas wrote:But I haven't EVER finished Fallout 1, so don't trust me too easily ;)
I've never finished Fallout 2, but only because the game's horribly designed, especially the environments.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

dude play that game against its graphics, the RPG design is what it shines for. I mean it was released like more than a decade ago when we didn't have the luxury of Shader 3.0 to make everything blurry.

You'll be happy to know that in Fallout 2 if you play as a female and have the sex appeal trait you can prostitute your character. To think they actually got away with that lol :D
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jetsetlemming wrote:I've never finished Fallout 2, but only because the game's horribly designed, especially the environments.
I think Fallout 2 was quite a well designed game, actually. It did tend to put pretty harsh demands on its player, but its mechanics were all solid and supported the core gameplay well, its structure was logical, and it had so many esoteric details that even DX can't compete.

I thought the environments were pretty well designed as well. Each town had lots of interesting content, the "dungeons" (if you will) were all decently unique, and the wilderness seemed suitably dangeous. Are you talking about the graphics or the artwork or what?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

or lack of "IMMERSHUN!" :D sorry I couldn't resist.

With that said, graphics don't create that so called "sucking in" effect that people misrepresent as being Immersion. Good game design does that sucking in effect. See Civ4, Total War, Deus Ex for examples.. you can play them till the sun comes up the next day. Bethesda have their terminologies mixed up IMO- or rather the gamers and reviewers didn't understand when Todd Howard keeps thrashing the word for no good reason.

Why I brought that up is because Immersion was the reason why Beth found it necessary to switch to a First Person shooter.. It was a big mistake IMO as we've seen the user is punished to avoid twitch based gameplay. Fallout 2 however you know its a table top game and it plays like one, Fallout 3.. looks like an FPS but plays like a table top.. so it makes no sense to have it first person. This is why the NMA guys were pissed off because they knew it was going to create problems from day one and I agreed entirely.

This also led a lot of people to understand that Bethesda had no idea what made Fallout's original game design so popular- being that it was a table top CRPG- you can't translate that into a first person shooter. I'll be looking to see how the game works with those elements but I feel that the reliance on SPECIAL and VATS ultimately is ruining the experience for myself honestly. They should have either made an FPS RPG hybrid or a Table Top CRPG, what we got was in the middle somewhere.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I suspect they made the game this way because that's the sort of game they like. Same with Oblivion.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Peccavi
Mole Person

Post by Peccavi »

Have anyone else noticed that the music and voice acting are very reminiscent of Morrowind/Oblivion? The voice acting mostly in these ridiculous comments NPCs throw in your face when you walk by though and not so much in actual dialogues, but still.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Jonas wrote:I suspect they made the game this way because that's the sort of game they like. Same with Oblivion.
Or basically "we're too cheap to actually put some effort into making this Fallout 1 and 2 so here's our previous game with a Fallout Mod"
Have anyone else noticed that the music and voice acting are very reminiscent of Morrowind/Oblivion? The voice acting mostly in these ridiculous comments NPCs throw in your face when you walk by though and not so much in actual dialogues, but still.
Have you also noticed that all the animations are from Oblivion? (see character when running with a sword, for some reason he/she looks like they have a shield :D DogMeat is also the same animation for the Wolves in Oblivion only it has a few extra ones for the stupid "woof woof whimper")

Actually I find this entire paragraph moderately offensive, so I'm deleting it. You're not allowed to encourage piracy on these forums, and you're certainly not allowed to use the word "faggot" as a casual insult, even if it's about somebody who isn't here to defend himself. - Jonas

So today's lesson is, don't be a stupid dumb ass thinking you can stop piracy by pissing off downloaders- because they'll find other ways and actually try as hard as possible to make the piracy more widespread. Fallout 3 might actually be more pirated than FarCry 2 lol. I've been mostly playing the Xbox version at a friends place for the past week. Honestly I hate fanbois.

I don't want to buy this game because Bethesda did bad things with my money.. (stupid Foo Fighters!)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:
Jonas wrote:I suspect they made the game this way because that's the sort of game they like. Same with Oblivion.
Or basically "we're too cheap to actually put some effort into making this Fallout 1 and 2 so here's our previous game with a Fallout Mod"
Yes, let's assume the worst in people. Certainly they can't have developed Oblivion because Oblivion was exactly the sort of game they wanted to make, and certainly they can't have developed Fallout 3 with the same formula because they thought that form would be a good fit for that IP.

I mean if OTP acquired the Fallout license and made Fallout 4 basically a Deus Ex clone, would you still be bitching about this? That's probably what we'd do with a license, we'd basically make a DX game with it. Deus Ex: Fallout. Deus Ex: StarCraft. Deus Ex: Half-Life. Call of Deus Ex. Command, Conquer, and Deus Ex. You get the point ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:
Have you also noticed that all the animations are from Oblivion? (see character when running with a sword, for some reason he/she looks like they have a shield :D DogMeat is also the same animation for the Wolves in Oblivion only it has a few extra ones for the stupid "woof woof whimper")

Actually I find this entire paragraph moderately offensive, so I'm deleting it. You're not allowed to encourage piracy on these forums, and you're certainly not allowed to use the word "faggot" as a casual insult, even if it's about somebody who isn't here to defend himself. - Jonas

So today's lesson is, don't be a stupid dumb ass thinking you can stop piracy by pissing off downloaders- because they'll find other ways and actually try as hard as possible to make the piracy more widespread. Fallout 3 might actually be more pirated than FarCry 2 lol. I've been mostly playing the Xbox version at a friends place for the past week. Honestly I hate fanbois.

I don't want to buy this game because Bethesda did bad things with my money.. (stupid Foo Fighters!)
...i wasn't all that pissed off... in fact i didn't notice them do anything to keep me from doing what i did...