Deus Ex garbled sound remedies

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

r00tb33r
MJ12

Deus Ex garbled sound remedies

Post by r00tb33r »

Here is the list of stuff I tried:

Doesn't work:
Rebooting
Quitting and starting the game a few times

Works:
Lowering the sampling rate to 22050

I'd like to know what others do when they get garbled sound. It's a known issue, but it seems to occur randomly for most people, but constantly for me, unless I lower the sampling rate. Now I don't really like the lowered sampling rate so I'd sure love to see more suggestions.

[NOTE]
I'm running Vista on the same hardware I ran XP. I have NEVER had garbled sound on this hardware on XP.
EER
Illuminati

Re: Deus Ex garbled sound remedies

Post by EER »

I also have an USB headset, when sound gets garbled on the speakers I use the headset which works. So you'd think it is something driver-related.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I used to have garbled sound on my old soundblaster card, but when I switched to onboard it went away.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Jonas wrote:I used to have garbled sound on my old soundblaster card, but when I switched to onboard it went away.
Onboard Realtek chip attached to nForce4. I have a PCI SB Live! laying around, but its an early version that doesn't have smooth sampling rate conversion. 48000Hz rate sounds buzzy on it, so I don't use it at all.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

There's lots of possibilities for garbled sound when it comes to Unreal Engine 1. The first is that modern CPU downclocking (Cool 'n Quiet, or Speedstep) screws with it, cutting people off; this sounds ancient and silly, but OS X still suffers from dynamic FSB clockspeeds messing with USB audio. Some sound cards don't do well with "Full Acceleration" in dxdiag, like my Chaintech AV-710 -- excellent Envy24 card, garbles game audio when set to full acceleration for some reason. UT was probably the last game that had to worry about how many simultaneous sounds the card could play, but that can be an issue with old cards and onboard I'd suppose.

It could always be your speaker set or receiver, but you'd notice that in all sound.

If sound matters to you at all, I'd suggest that onboard sound isn't ideal for a main computer. There's also a lot of choice when it comes to soundcards now, and Creative Labs doesn't really have the proprietary EAX advantage since Vista. My suggestion would be to upgrade to a good receiver or speakerset that can take digital audio (SPDIF or digital Coax), which makes the complex and expensive soundcards and their DigitalAnalogConverters essentially irrelevant. After that, it's just a matter of getting a soundcard that can accelerate everything fully, and output digital audio.
slyweezy
Thug

Post by slyweezy »

the only setting you need to change is the Latency setting in the deusex.ini.

i had the same problem, i fixed it by changing that setting from 40 to 60.

more info: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:UT_ ... ooting_FAQ

good luck.

oh, im running in vista 32 so that should work for you as well.