How to record video in-game?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Dark Reality
UNATCO

How to record video in-game?

Post by Dark Reality »

Can somebody give me some pointers? The TNM launch trailer looks so nice, but I have Fraps, and when I make videos, they come out huge (~100MB/minute) and such low quality. My computer is pretty good, too (2GHz AMD Athlon64 3200+, 2GB RAM, 256MB GeForce 6600 PCI-E graphics, WinXP Pro Sp3). Shouldn't be a problem as far as my specs; I figure it's more to do with settings, and possibly the program I'm using.
Do you love Off-Topic Productions and The Nameless Mod?
Join TNMST - The Nameless Mod Street Team - today.
Kee715
Illuminati

Re: How to record video in-game?

Post by Kee715 »

Xfire or CamStudio.

Fraps never gets high quality video, either that or YouTube HD is not as good as I thought. Go to Xfire.com and look up the videos there, sufficient quality and decent size. :D

But as I said on the Street Team Google Group I can not record videos with audio. :(

Oh and I have seen some videos on YouTube that are mega sh*t quality, there is a box in the top right that usually says "Unregistered Hypercam" or something, if you find that then avoid it.
Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

Can't get Xfire to record. Maybe it doesn't like that DX isn't installed in the usual place, but I was able to point it to where I do have it (on an external hard drive under a PortableApps folder for compatibility with that app launcher) and I'm even able to launch DX from Xfire. It just does a whole lotta nothing when I hit the key combo it wants (CTRL + ScrollLock IIRC). And doesn't record. On top of that, it can't be used for TNM since it seems to only work with a set list of games. When I specified the custom location to DX, I only provided a folder, not the .exe, so I couldn't have pointed to TNM.exe. If you can make Xfire record TNM, I'd like to know how. Actually I'd like to know how to record at all, because all the settings looked right, it would just not start recording.

Also CamStudio is video only, no sound. Even if you uncheck "don't record audio" or whatever in its menu. Silent video every time.

Maybe I'll have to suck it up and actually install DX to the right folder and try that. It won't hurt my portable copy. Copies, actually, if the flash drive is plugged in. But while that might let me record in Xfire, it doesn't help me record TNM and it doesn't get me sound in CamStudio.

Fraps will record video with sound, but the quality is bad.

I can rig Audacity to get the sound, but I'm not good at dubbing and wouldn't know where to begin doing that anyway (what app and all).

I've seen "Unregistered Hypercam" on videos, too, but usually on, um, well, other kinds of video. I've never seen a Hypercam video that looked good, so I would not use that program.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Xfire's video record default key combination is Scroll Lock + V. And I am sorry that I forgot about it only supporting some games, but it worked with Sven Co-op and it is not regular HL, HL1 is not even supported I do not think...

Just Google "Free Video recorder" and see what comes up.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I used Fraps for the trailer. We recorded a good 30 GB of video IIRC 8-[

Then we used Adobe Premiere Pro to cut it together and export it to a more sensible format.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Skilgannon
UNATCO

Post by Skilgannon »

1. Xfire can and will record Deus Ex, BUT, NOT with the Enhanced OpenGL renderer. I dunno why, but XF will simply not record through that.

2. Xfire has no support for TNM, so you can't use XF whilst playing TNM unfortunately.

3. It is simple to enable sound recording in Xfire. Go to Tools->Options->Video Tab, then see my attachment.
Attachments
XFire tut.JPG
Life is a series of random events designed to strip you of your sanity.

Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

I can not record Audio because of my crap ass sound card.
Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

Kee715 wrote:Xfire's video record default key combination is Scroll Lock + V. And I am sorry that I forgot about it only supporting some games, but it worked with Sven Co-op and it is not regular HL, HL1 is not even supported I do not think...

Just Google "Free Video recorder" and see what comes up.
ScrollLock + V. Yeah, that's right. And that's what I did, I did what it said. Then I figured maybe it (DX, not Xfire) didn't like that combo, so I tried a few others.

Any way to go and get a game supported?
Jonas wrote:I used Fraps for the trailer. We recorded a good 30 GB of video IIRC 8-[

Then we used Adobe Premiere Pro to cut it together and export it to a more sensible format.
No Adobe, we ain't Oprah rich here. Could pirate it, of course, but I'd rather not. Besides, Adobe's stuff is needlessly complicated for my needs. Thanks for the input though. I suppose if I could get some GOOD video out of Fraps, I could re-encode it with something that encodes to MPEG-4, what YT uses for its HD videos. Or the higher-end FLV.
Skilgannon wrote:1. Xfire can and will record Deus Ex, BUT, NOT with the Enhanced OpenGL renderer. I dunno why, but XF will simply not record through that.

2. Xfire has no support for TNM, so you can't use XF whilst playing TNM unfortunately.

3. It is simple to enable sound recording in Xfire. Go to Tools->Options->Video Tab, then see my attachment.
Enhanced OpenGL renderer is all I've used for 3 years plus. Isn't there an enhanced D3D renderer or something? (If so can someone link it?) If I can't record TNM (via TNM.exe) can I possibly call the TNM maps with Legend, or would that end badly? (I've thought about using Legend to call up Raving's store and get Denton those chrome .45s, and then go back to Hong Kong, where I'm at, but that just has disaster written all over it.) And I saw where to get the sound, but since I couldn't get video, I couldn't see if it was doing sound or not.
Skilgannon
UNATCO

Post by Skilgannon »

Kee715 wrote:I can not record Audio because of my crap ass sound card.
I dunno if mine even exists per se, I think it's inbuilt to the MoBo.....

Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

Skilgannon wrote:
Kee715 wrote:I can not record Audio because of my crap ass sound card.
I dunno if mine even exists per se, I think it's inbuilt to the MoBo.....
An onboard sound card isn't usually a bad thing, unless you're an audiophile and you sprung for a Sound Blaster. The only difference is a PCI sound card has its own processor for handling audio, and requests are sent to it, and it does its business, while an onboard sound card, as it were, uses the CPU. At least that's my understanding. But handling audio isn't really CPU intensive. Having a sound card was important in the 200MHz Pentium 1 days. Not so much now. If your sound card thingy is indeed crap, well, that doesn't change that, but my mobo has built-in 7.1 audio (Reltek or some such). I only have a 2.1 setup, but it sounds fine to me. I can also hook it right up to the surround sound on the TV right next to me and get 5.1.

Anyway, I made a request on Xfire's forums for TNM to be added. If anyone's got an Xfire account and wants to weigh in, here's the link.
Skilgannon
UNATCO

Post by Skilgannon »

Posted, this is an awesome idea. :D

Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

Well, I uninstalled Xfire after I found out it wouldn't work for me, prior to starting this topic, I believe. It's gonna stay uninstalled until/unless they add TNM. Otherwise I got no use for it. Not too keen on using an Xfire sig or chatting with anybody, but if it can record, I'll use it.
Skilgannon
UNATCO

Post by Skilgannon »

Your loss. ;)

Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

Skilgannon wrote:Your loss. ;)
*shrug* Not until they add TNM support. Until then it ain't no use to me. Never had a need for anything like it before. Other than showing off your hours spent in a game, which I guess can be cool, and recording, what else is it? Or just that?
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Dark Reality wrote:
Jonas wrote:I used Fraps for the trailer. We recorded a good 30 GB of video IIRC 8-[

No Adobe, we ain't Oprah rich here. Could pirate it, of course, but I'd rather not. Besides, Adobe's stuff is needlessly complicated for my needs. Thanks for the input though. I suppose if I could get some GOOD video out of Fraps, I could re-encode it with something that encodes to MPEG-4, what YT uses for its HD videos. Or the higher-end FLV.
SUPER, it's free. I always use it to turn 100-300MB fraps* avi files to 10MB mpgs

*(only have the trial fraps with 30 sec video.)