DX3 Trailer of the Trailer

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Dead-eye
X-51

DX3 Trailer of the Trailer

Post by Dead-eye »

Last edited by Dead-eye on Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: DX3 Trailer of the Trailer

Post by bobby 55 »

They have won me . Bring it.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

He has auto-deploying sunglasses? That is so blooody badass. Very good trailer, seems to reference to the Icarus thing if I remember my greek mythology correctly.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

bobby 55 wrote:They have won me . Bring it.
lol that was easy. Maybe you should hold off till you actually see the game in action LOL. This is one of the cutscenes that Square Enix has been working on, and are very well known for how awesome their FMVs are, its to be expected that the cutscenes would be great and I was actually hoping for it to be a big factor in changing my mind on the overall game. (Eidos apparently contributed the original artwork for them to upscale for CGI from what I understand)

Well I went from Pesimistic to Neutral from watching it. We'll see how it goes later in the year.

And I state it again, Jensen is really coming off as Snake from MGS4. (except he looks like the younger version of snake)

I'll summarise my feelings towards the game now.

Optimistically - say the game goes well, we'll see a great blend between all the great elements that made western RPGs great merged into an FPS hybrid with great open roaming areas and a non-linear story, whilst also adding the power and emotion from what made JRPGs that Square is well known for so great as well.

Pesmistically - well it can't be worse than Invisible War right ;) (and to be fair IWar isn't that bad).

Overall I'm expecting a good game, the real question is though how will the game go when you compare it to Deus Ex 1. So I think that'll be the real challenge here, I know its unfair to do that but they choose to make a prequel instead of a spinoff- so it immediately inherits that comparisson. It'll be interesting to see the final game.

(I just hope the next trailer has some damn gameplay! :D)
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:
bobby 55 wrote:They have won me . Bring it.
lol that was easy.
I'm not cheap but I am easy. :P

You're right though regarding playing the game first, that also works for people who want to dismiss it out of hand as well.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:whilst also adding the power and emotion from what made JRPGs that Square is well known for so great as well.
I thought squeenix were just doing promo trailers. Cutscenes rendered in the game engine is way better imo, and preferably no cutscenes at all.
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

As long as they stick to intro and outro cutscenes, we'll be fine. It's interrupting the gameplay with cutscenes like eg. Kojima does all the goddamn time that gets on your nerves. Even DX had the cutscenes with the helicopter during the game to tie the missions together.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Other news is that a) Deus Ex 3 and Thief 4 are being made in UEngine 3 (previously Eidos Montreal were working with the current gen Tomb Raider engine), b) Deus Ex 1 style inventory and world design (wooooooot), c) Yeah, that was Icarus in the teaser. It's the main character dreaming while recovering from getting the Robocop treatment.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jetsetlemming wrote: Deus Ex 1 style inventory and world design (wooooooot),
Okey, now I'm sold
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Deus Ex 3 and Thief 4. <3 <3
Trasher
UNATCO

Post by Trasher »

Jetsetlemming wrote:Other news is that a) Deus Ex 3 and Thief 4 are being made in UEngine 3 (previously Eidos Montreal were working with the current gen Tomb Raider engine)
Really? That's great news! I really hope that the game will be moddable. Can't wait for Thief 4 aswell.

Any news about the auto-heal? That one is still bothering me... :roll:
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Moonbo
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Moonbo »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2764 ... ssance.php

Article about the game's art design.
But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Moonbo wrote:http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2764 ... ssance.php

Article about the game's art design.
Cheers, it just gets better and better.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

The discovery of geometry? So that would put us around ... 300 years after the Greek Renaissance and 1500 years before The Renaissance.

Which Renaissance are they talking about here?

-

Of course I know which Renaissance, but as a classicist and mathematician I'm not sure how to react.

Should I be pissed off that someone just delivered a massive "Fuck YOU!" to both of the areas I specialize in, or should I be saying, "That's adorable," the way one might when a child says something that is cute because it combines incredible ignorance coupled with the naive conviction that they know what they're talking about to produce something so outrageously moronic you'd never have imagined someone might actually say it?

-

The placement of the discovery of geometry above is giving credit to Euclid, partially because what existed before the revolution in thinking that Euclid pretty much personifies wasn't really geometry as we understand the word, and partially because it's really hard to find a date for the earlier geometry.

This is not to say that earlier geometry was useless or that it should not get credit for having been around well in advance of the date I used. It should in fact be noted that that earlier geometry was what was used to build the pyramids. From that one could argue that, since the Egyptian pyramids required some kind of geometry (even if it was almost certainly not how we use the word now), the "discovery of Geometry" is a minimum of 3,900 years before the Renaissance instead of the 1500 figure I gave.

-

I'm sorry, I know I'm supposed to be looking at the pictures and video and going "Pretty" and they are pretty and do represent a definite improvement over what they have shown us in the past which indicates that things might be looking significantly up ... but the reason they call it Euclidean Geometry is because it was put forward by fucking Euclid and unless the Renaissance happened in the 19th century Euclidean Geometry was the geometry of the Renaissance*. They "discovered" it when their teachers taught them about it, just as their teachers had been taught about it by their teachers, and so on for more than a thousand years. Just like we do today.

So, if you've had a geometry class Jacques-Belletete thinks you deserve credit for discovering geometry.

*Because at the time they thought non-Euclidean geometry was impossible.

-

Ok, I'm done now.