Deus Ex 3 - I'll just leave this here

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

VectorM
MJ12

Re: Deus Ex 3 - I'll just leave this here

Post by VectorM »

Yeah, i didn't remember what they were called.
Chris Rosenkreutz
NSF

Post by Chris Rosenkreutz »

I don't have the explosives mission pack.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I don't have mine enabled yet because I didn't know they were in Tools when I started playing.
Near the gas, there is a weak wall you can blow up (or punch through) with a tap to turn off the gas behind it.
I'm low on explosives and I don't have the wall aug.
that you can find the door code for it somewhere. If you have the highlighting off, you might have missed it.
I tried looking initially but I didn't have much luck, I guess it deserves another look. Thanks. You might've saved me a few hours.

EDIT: yep found it, it was in the toilets. Odd place to put it given how Tracer Tong bragged about his security and his bouncers. Lol I found an issue though when I got to this point, I killed Bobby. but the cutscene has Bobby alive.
First off, that thing you did in the Berret fight is not an exploit, it's pretty much intended.
Its a pretty piss poor Boss fight, your first instinct is to go from cover to cover and out run the guy, after dying from this, you then go for the barrels, only there's occasions where you'll mess up and miss. If you run out of barrels what the hell are you meant to do then?!.. now whilst Barret does try to blow himself up with grenades this takes too long to happen as by then I'm usually low on health chewing on Painkillers.

And you're pretty screwed if you didn't bring any grenades or explosives of your own along. Going into this fight with just small arms is impossible on the hardest mode, if you screw up the barrels. To me, it comes off as very pass fail and is not very good game design, and it negates all non-lethal and stealth builds as the only way to beat barret is through lethal force (whereas with Deus Ex 1 you could bypass it either by using a killphrase or running away.) I also dislike the level design used there as well, it would've been completely fine if they'd given us more room since Barret has that instant death melee attack.

Thing is that I've heard complaints about the later bosses as well and from what I understand you have to go in it with certain augmentations or else you can't win- its not so much it being harder, its more a case of you have to do it that way or you can't progress. And to me, these huge brick walls they call bosses really destroy the pacing of the game.
omni-r
Mole Person

Post by omni-r »

Aw dammit I can't help myself. Tried scrolling through the pages but there's no end to it, and most of the posts are walkthrough-related.

I'm dying to know how good is the soundtrack, or to be more precise, is it... Brandonish while playing?
What are your impressions on it? I've heard a couple of tracks (don't wanna spoil em all) but frankly, they haven't really made an impression..

(and no, it's not prejudice, the music genuinely sounds mainstreamed and simplified to me, I'm not asking for a 1:1 Brandon-styled copy, though I wouldn't mind that scenario >:D )

p.s. please oh please take this post on a light note, don't wanna be losing any limbs due to stepping on landmines whilst running goofey, carelessly hugging the nanobots in the air.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

It's not Brandon, but tbh I don't mind it.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

overall there's a absence of music in the game, Shanghai doesn't sound as Iconic as what Hong Kong did. Generally all the tracks sound the same as the intro theme, at least so far in the first half of the game. The combat music has really been the only real highlight as it sets the mood pretty well and you hear it fairly regularly, its loud enough to not be ambient music.

Brandon created a truly iconic soundtrack which really gave each of the locations a unique flavour in music. I feel that's what is lacking in this game so far as far as soundtrack goes. The soundtrack tends to keep out of the way which is a real shame- whereas in Deus ex 1 the soundtrack was right there in your face. So don't expect a Brandon soundtrack.

The songs tend to follow a very strict guideline throughout the game, whilst they try to be unique, they're often always using similar sequences of music or instruments, so it doesn't give individual tracks much of a chance to stand out unfortunately. That said its soundtrack is fairly unique compared to most games and I'd argue is one of the better ones we've heard in the last decade.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I noticed the same about the leak.
I got my copy through the post 5 minutes ago (Which my dog tried to attack :shock:) and now I'm happy. :mrgreen:

Concept art book is a little dull but a nice extra and I'm assuming the Bonus disc contains the soundtrack and whatever else.
Also, how does the DLC work? I've got a code I need to input into Steam to activate it but I only want the extra mission and not the fuckton of credits and extra weapons at the start.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
MrBlack
NSF

Post by MrBlack »

Yeah soundtrack seems more or less similar and "background" whereas DX1 had a more unique sounding soundtrack, the music in dx3 so far just merge into each other during scene transitions.

DLC works by starting the game up once, and then exiting, then registering the DLC via steam.

It's only one code to register, and if you have both dlc packs, then you get it all without choice between.

The guns are good, but annoying because they take up your early inventory space. The credits, ok it's maybe making the game slightly easier to begin with, but 10000 credits is basically two praxis points from the clinic, which means one or two aug upgrades (i used mine to get the 2 praxis costing Social aug)

If you play stealth and non-lethal you won't need the guns anyway, if you play more stealth-lethal or combat orientated, they are a godsend.

I'm saving my shotgun for the bosses, since i want to play the game mostly stealth, except that if you didn't know (all the reviewers state this as a con) the 4 non-optional boss fights are combat only, which does suck, but then im not sure how they could have gotten around it...
"It's all good!"
omni-r
Mole Person

Post by omni-r »

Fair and square. It's not as bad as I feared it then, I guess I'll survive with the music being blended into the background and wait for the boss fights to kick up the volume :D

If the sound files turn out to be editable in some way, I'll try bastardly replacing them with DX1's tunes in hope that it won't sound like unsynchronized mumbo jumbo.
Who knows, that might even turn out to be my first mod ever if it works when I get the game :D
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

Yeah, soundtrack is something you overlook quickly as it doesn't stand out at all. On the other hand this stupid heart-beat noise in the menu really goes on my nerves big time. Another point for my review... this one won't be a short one I'm sure of it already now ;)
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

My only real compliant with Human Revolution is that it was too short.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Yeah, soundtrack is something you overlook quickly as it doesn't stand out at all. On the other hand this stupid heart-beat noise in the menu really goes on my nerves big time
YES! and its bugged as well, don't alt tab what ever you do, you'll blow your ears out.

Also for those of you doing non-lethal, don't bother, by the end of the game you have enough points to buy all the "Fun" skills. I pretty much have everything I could need. Unfortunately this negates entirely the whole "Choice" thing people are praising the game for, since by 50% through I had unlocked everything I could want and am now just throwing points away on the pointless crap. The game suffers from a redundancy here, which is funny because they replaced the system to remove the already existing redundancy in Deus Ex 1's skill system.. what I find sad is that Invisible War is the ONLY game in the series to have actually gotten this element right, it still had the branching augmentations selection (as in you could only install 1 or the other.. you can't have both), its only flaw was that some of its augs seemed to be over powered making the other choices pretty pointless.

They shouldn't have changed the augmentation system as it undermines the whole point of it by this later part of the game, and turns the game into a straight run and gun shooter (as cover no longer applies to you, neither does stealth). No point in hacking all the computers in the game world either (and boy are there a lot of them) because the XP you get will go to waste, whilst it can be cool to find a little Easter egg, you'd save more time just focusing on the essentials.

It's a real shame they did this and I feel weakens the game as a whole at this point.

What I will say to their credit is that their definitely nailed the whole non-linearity thing, and greatly improved on it from the original Deus Ex, they give you plenty of opportunities to fuck up missions and plenty of opportunities to change the entire story.

Jensen as a character, or rather his voice actor started off in really bad form, I disliked Jensens voice as it was overly raspy and felt pretty apathetic towards everything and everyone (very emo).. but later on the voice actor starts to really emote, and I feel Jensen as a character is greatly enhanced by this, for starters he looses the raspy voice when he yells and gets angry, he actually starts to replicate more of JC in this because he's making rationalizations much in the same way JC did.. whereas outside of those scenes Jensen is just on QandA all the time, which makes him pretty void of any character or personality- of course this was a flaw with Bioware's games too, Mass Effect for example (Which this game borrows A LOT from- I'd argue this is more a sequel to mass effect than Deus Ex in its combat and interface design lol.)

I'm going to compile a final opinion once I've finished the game, Its going to be fairly favorable, but it won't be "OMFG Deus Ex is back" rather "This could've been done much better.. they made a lot of mistakes which makes this a lesser game when compared to the original, but VASTLY superior to Invisible War" Considering my opinions of Invisible War are generally favorable, that says a lot, I certainly like the game, but I can see where it fails and creates frustration.

If this is to be a starting point for an eventual series of games.. its off to a good start.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I finished the game.. (with all 4 endings).

I don't want to spoil anything.. but I will say.. I'm not happy.. not one bit. My opinion of this game has greatly changed.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

Dead-eye wrote:My only real compliant with Human Revolution is that it was too short.
well im playing it on hard and being mega thorough, and i just left detroit after 4 days of play.
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I thought Invisible War was flawed, but a good game. If HR is better, that's interesting.

I'm glad if Jensen develops as a character. Too bad he has strep throat.

I'm sure everyone who is playing HR is busy with life + playing HR, but I'm looking forward to complete reviews.