The DDL appreciation thread

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Re: The DDL appreciation thread

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Shit man.. this sounds amazing! Very few games incorporate temperature mechanics. I have thought of the idea myself but to see it in action will be epic! Looking forward to it.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Low skin temp gets you past IR scanners, low CORE temp kills you!

It's a shooter! It's an RPG! It's EDUCATIONAL, kids!

..and it's actually quite a stupid idea, in retrospect.

I even had to add the property "insulationlevel" to NPCs (to represent thermal underwear under all the body armour, or something), because otherwise they would happily patrol around in the snow until they died.

...Actually, though now I think of it, a check for body temp at every patrolpoint, with 'too low' meaning they sub out for some guards in a warm room...

*runs off to the coding cave*
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:Low skin temp gets you past IR scanners, low CORE temp kills you!
You... may want to think about how you're communicating that to the player, actually. Maybe I just missed the part of the training where that was explained, but it seems like it's an important (and awesome) distinction. Still, swimming for so long that you start freezing and then continuing to take cold damage after you leave the water: win. Turning on your augmentations because they generate heat to warm you faster: timeless, epic win.

Oh, oh, tell them about the patrolling guards checking in via radio on Liberty Island :D
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Jonas wrote:
DDL wrote:Low skin temp gets you past IR scanners, low CORE temp kills you!
Oh, oh, tell them about the patrolling guards checking in via radio on Liberty Island :D
Will there be an aug to allow you to listen in on the guards?
Btw It would be good to do a tutorial at the beginning if you are going to be doing game play that advanced.
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

There's a long and rather elaborate training mission that teaches you all sorts of fancy things like using the new timed explosives or shooting through walls.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

Jonas wrote:You... may want to think about how you're communicating that to the player, actually. Maybe I just missed the part of the training where that was explained.
You did. It was there in the training, but I think I distracted you by wondering out loud why the fuck the doors weren't opening and demanding you run back to hit the right trigger.

Playtesting: so much easier when you have Jonas actually in your house.

(Also if you click on the temperature gauge in the health screen it tells you what temp your core temperature starts to be harmful, and when it's likely to kill you -but don't worry, it's surprisingly difficult to actually properly freeze to death, though less difficult to slowly drift into hypothermic death. The latter comes with plenty of advance warning, of course: your health drops)
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Fuck TNM, this sounds INCREDIBLE!!!

You seriously need to be more like Jonas in your 'self-pimpage', DDL ;)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

AgentSmithereens wrote:Fuck TNM, this sounds INCREDIBLE!!!
Wait, did I say DDL's mod was great? I meant it sucks. It's terrible. It's full of bugs! It's completely unprofessional. No, you should definitely play TNM instead ;)

Actually though I think comparing John's mod to TNM is in a way like comparing TNM to HDTP: It's useless because the mods have completely different ambitions. DDL's mod is incredible for cramming so many new features and details into the game that you probably won't even notice half of them in a single playthrough. That's not really the point of TNM, we haven't actually messed very much with the DX gameplay, instead our aim was always to refine and expand upon DX's basic gameplay.

I think a fair way to summarize it, bearing in mind that I never managed to see more than the first two levels of John's mod, is that TNM is way bigger, but John's mod has more detail :)
You seriously need to be more like Jonas in your 'self-pimpage', DDL
Well the difference here is that John is modding for the shits and giggles, whereas we're modding because we're complete and utter attention whores.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

What TNM lacks in pointless features (and believe me, it doesn't lack much, if at all), it makes up and THEN some in raw new content. Seriously: there's no competition.

TNM: two mutually exclusive storylines, each taking 20-40 hours each (depending on how silly you are at exploring..ok, you might be able to do each story in 10 if you play it like a shooter on "easy", but fuck THAT). A team of incredibly talented mappers, coders, sound techs, fucking musicians...seriously: my shit is a tech demo, they've got a game. Like I said in t'other thread, I'm doing this coz it's FUN, not for any particular attention whoring.

(Also, I was so embarassed by my lack of content -look, mapping is hard, and VERY time consuming, ok?- that I coded the whole thing to also let you play through vanilla DX, only with my custom fucked-up shit in play*, just to add some depth. Maybe I'll attract some talented mappers someday, but hey: guess I need to ask first, right?)

*be warned, mechs got a shitload of extra coding, and gunther is now a right bastard to take down. And he can see in the dark.
DDL

Post by DDL »

hahahah sometimes I find stuff I don't even remember coding.

Thought I'd share this one with you: your target aug will, above a certain level, tell you about your target's augs: TNM does this too (and in fact, better) but that's convergent evolution for you.

Anyway, my pawns now have this property, which augTarget will check against, and inform you of, accordingly:

Code: Select all

var(Augs) bool bCosmetic; //for silly people like jojo fine. in fact, basically just jojo fine. Ah, fuck you.
Yeah, I need to get out more.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Ahahahahah that's so gratuitous.

But don't be so hard on your mod, it's far beyond a tech demo - it also has really hilarious dialogue.

And I mean if you only had features like the cold and the augmentation tweaks it might be considered "just extra features", but you also have all those super-responsive little quirks in the plot and the levels.

Anyway I think this thread will do you some good. What you need is excessive group pressure, maybe that'll help you get off your arse and release something ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

So exactly how deep down the extraneous feature rabbit-hole are you going, DLL? Is adrenaline accounted for? If I'm getting shot at, will I run slightly faster? If I'm injured, can I temporarily lift heavier objects? If I'm in a kill-or-be-killed encounter with an enemy where his next shot'll kill me, will my accuracy focus in faster in desperation? If I'm in one of your cold areas, will I see a steam emitter appear in front of and slightly below my viewpoint? If I turn the mouse hard and spin myself in circles will I get dizzy? Will my vision waver?
DDL

Post by DDL »

Jetsetlemming wrote:Is adrenaline accounted for?
Don't tempt me. But no. Sorry.
If I'm getting shot at, will I run slightly faster? If I'm injured, can I temporarily lift heavier objects?
Again, no, Sorry.
However, being suitably drunk may allow you to lift things (or hit things) you really shouldn't be able to. Might require suitable booze, though.

If I'm in a kill-or-be-killed encounter with an enemy where his next shot'll kill me, will my accuracy focus in faster in desperation?
It's still DX. If you're in a kill-or-be-killed encounter, UR DOIN IT RONG. :D
If I'm in one of your cold areas, will I see a steam emitter appear in front of and slightly below my viewpoint?
Originally yes. But I deemed it...what's the best description? "Fucking annoying", yeah, that'll do.
Nobody should have to wait until they're breathing in to line up a shot, especially in a game with no breath control (and no, I'm not fucking adding that).
Will my vision waver?
Aside from the original DX-based reasons for vision wavering, no.
Apart from if you get shot in the face (and survive, obviously). Or someone flings a concussion grenade at you.

It's fun, honest. 8-[
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Your enemies's breath is visible in cold areas though, right? I seem to recall something like that.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

Unless they're so heavily mechanised they don't generate exhaled moisture, yeah.

Did I mention mechs had a lot of code? Sorry. Mechs are just too much fun.