[sort of off topic] Deus Ex:Redux

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: [sort of off topic] Deus Ex:Redux

Post by DDL »

Aaaaand...there we go.

*checks watch*

Actually that took longer than I expected. Possibly there was a delay as people recoiled in confusion from the initial quintuple post.

More seriously though: never EVER expect people to fling themselves at a mod based on five picture-free posts with dubious spelling and punctuation. Even with HDTP (with a shitload of media released as actual playable stuff or even just newsposts and the like), Metche has to work her ass off to find the people we need. And once she's got em, she needs to carry on working her ass off to keep 'em. It's a miracle she's got any ass left, to be honest.

A common misconception amongst startup modders is that announcing "I'M DOIN A MOD THAT DOES X" will effectively earn them an instant free handjob. Nope, sorry: not gonna happen. Not gonna happen even with games released in the last year.

You waltz in, announce you're intending to mod a game that is over EIGHT YEARS OLD, and you are intending to mod it in a fashion that several other groups have either tried to do (and failed) or are in fact STILL DOING, and you present no media or otherwise to show your capabilities, AND request a team of people that, looking at the skillbase, would make you entirely redundant.

It's not looking good, to be honest.

Now don't get disheartened just yet: work on your stuff, ALONE, and make sure you're capable of doing it ALONE (or at least, largely alone) because ultimately the sole driving force behind your mod will be YOU, and YOU ALONE. Team members may drop out, they may return, they may go mysteriously silent for months at a time: YOU need to be the one constant that keeps things moving. If you can't be sure you can do that, weathering all manner of shit that life throws at you, then wait until you can be sure.

And then: once you have something to show, show it! Show people what you can do, and they will actually stand a chance of joining you. Nobody will join a mod based on 'I HAVE A GREAT IDEA': they need to see if you actually stand a chance of carrying that idea to fruition. So prove it to us.

And finally: modding is not about getting the community to say "DUDE YOU ARE FUCKING AWESOME", modding should be 100% because YOU ENJOY DOING IT. Assume you will get no praise (or worse, no feedback whatsoever), and work on that premise. Learn to accept it. As long as you are happy to keep working purely for yourself, and purely because you enjoy doing it, then you'll be fine. If you're lucky, it might end up being maybe 90% "enjoy doing it" and 10% "getting praise": that'd be a definite win, there. If you're really really lucky, you might get 80% enjoy, 10% praise, and 10% "something cool to put on your resume/CV", but that takes a LOT of time and effort.

Seriously: modding is NOT in any way a terribly rewarding process, unless you're the sort of person for whom the modding itself IS a reward.
Chrome
Thug

Post by Chrome »

DAMN!!!!!!! http://chrome00.webs.com/apps/photos/ its the damn unatco click picture for a quick summary more pictures on the damn way!!!!!!!!
Sanity is for the Weak.....
Trasher
UNATCO

Post by Trasher »

Well, what can I say.. It's quite funny.. you're making a mod from a mod that isn't even ready yet :D

I don't see any new high detailed graphics except that you actually made the textures smaller, which makes it look more detailed. As for the screenshots.. you actually modified everything I builded :P now don't get me wrong you're allowed to do that of course.

Anyway, I used to use those same cool textures you're using right now, but then i realized the they are way out of place. Thanks to the critisism I received when I started publishing the mod. I'm really glad that people showed me what's good and what's way out of place and what doesn't fit in the world of Deus Ex. And I'm very greatful for that.

Mod seems to be getting better and better(i think :p) as I'm learning more tricks with the editor. I can promise you that I'm doing everything to keep the Deus Ex atmoshpere. Woops, a bit offtopic.. sorry.. :p

Well, I'm looking forward to play your modification. Keep up the work and respect other's opinion. With that, you will get far my friend. :)

-Trasher
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

So wait... you're modding Trasher's mod, Chrome?

Weird! But kinda neat.

Anyway listen to DDL and respect his advice, he's been at this for ages and he knows what he's talking about. Plus he's being pretty polite about it, so replying with three "damn"s and 15 exclamation marks is not the best course of action :)

My wish of good luck still stands.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Chrome
Thug

Post by Chrome »

I will from now on and i apologize for that and use right now its modifying trashers mod thing but in my final versionit will contain my own custom also thanks for the great maps trasher :)

P.S. Can you guys spread the word that i need a team cuz that'd be great
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

No offence, but this got to be the most pointless mod I've ever seen.

Effectively you're trying to combine HDTP, New Vision, Revision, Reborn and Shifter.

I think your best bet (if you're actually good at what you're doing) is to join these separate groups and try to help them finish the stuff they've been working on for years, rather than coming up with the most ambitious, unnecessary mod possible, for the game whose fans won't even play it when/if it gets released due to the largely superior mods earlier mentioned.
Chrome
Thug

Post by Chrome »

I see what you mean and i have already signed up to help the revision team but i will remain with my mod and work on it but at the same time help my fellow modders and i intend to make this a MUST have mod i want it to be a mod that people will really enjoy all the features i intend to put in and i think the best will be the better character customization which i have wanted to do for a while but finally decided to do it, if theres a specific character model you would like to see let me know this is ehat i have so far:

MJ12 Commando <--Personnal Fav
Paul Denton
Smuggler
Walton Simons
Multiple JC Denton ReTextures
NSF Terrorist
Thugmale3
Bob Page
MIB
Thugmale1
Multiple Custom ones

Also i intend to make this a vesrion of deus ex thats more flexible
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

justanotherfan wrote:People will be doubtful and perhaps dismissive...
Honestly that went way better than I thought it would. I remember quoting someone who was starting his first mod and he said that it would never be good, and I quoted him in order to suggest helping other mods instead of making something not-good, and that started a mini-flamewar. This went well enough, and you got a lot of advice from experienced modders.

New UNATCO looks pretty neat. It's much like the original, but the new textures are much more luxury-oriented (marble walls, marble floors, marble bathroom stalls, more TVs, more windows, etc). I felt that JC's original description of UNATCO being "a cinderblock bunker" fit the old UNATCO well, and this would be my criticism if HDTP/NV had done it that way; UNATCO Bunker is not a luxury hotel, but an office in a bomb shelter (or an unremarkable facade). Many people want to see the originals reproduced as faithfully as possible, and fairly or not, HDTP/NV bear that really annoying burden. As a different mod, this doesn't have to be faithful, and it looks fun. Photos 12 and 14 I find particularly impressive (edit: just found screenshots on Trasher's mod, and the neat architecture in those photos are part of it. Cool stuff, Trasher!).

Your plans do sound overly ambitious, especially at this point. Perhaps set a few lower goals, complete them as best you can, and see where that takes your project. Focusing on the details can have a higher payoff.
Last edited by justanotherfan on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

justanotherfan wrote:Honestly that went way better than I thought it would. I remember quoting someone who was starting his first mod and he said that it would never be good, and I quoted him in order to suggest helping other mods instead of making something not-good, and that started a mini-flamewar.
Which is to say nothing of our initial warnings to El Cid way back when he announced Power & Love, which he somehow managed to turn into a bit of a feud.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Hmm this mod seems intriguing. I look forward to seeing what comes out of it.
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Chrome
Thug

Post by Chrome »

See this is the kind of feedback i like :o anyway my goals are currently to just release a coupl of maps everythig else
is just stuff i hope to put in my final version in my first version i will include all maps up to before hong kong version two will in clude all of hong kong and some beta things (character customize,new weapons,and more npcs in areas) right now my priorities are to get the NYC series done :)
Chrome
Thug

Post by Chrome »

JUst a quick question, if anyone has time could you follow this tutorial http://tack.planetdeusex.gamespy.com/Cr ... lass2.html except do it as the MJ12 Commando i need this done for testing purposes and i dont have enough time to do it (working on paris main city area) and it would be real helpful :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You don't have time to do it? :/
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Chrome
Thug

Post by Chrome »

I'm hard at work on paris ,mann it takes forever not only that but i get bad motion sickness which can set me back for some time depending on how bad it is it can take hours at a time so thats why i was hoping someone get help me out a bit :)
Placebo
MJ12

Post by Placebo »

a word of advice and politeness for other internet users

replace those .bmp pictures in your gallery with lighter .jpg version. It's taking ages for me to load and it's tad anoying
ImageEvery morning, I meditate about love and peace... I stop after three seconds.