Weapon-picky NPCs

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Weapon-picky NPCs

Post by DDL »

Adds a sense of "this is a living breathing world, that you just happen to be fighting conspiracies in", as opposed to IW's more "this entire world exists for your entertainment" feel.

In the real world, a single shot handbag-concealable anti-rapist plasma weapon might actually be useful. Is it useful to fight MJ12 troopers? No, not really. But then in the real world, few things ARE useful for fighting MJ12 troopers, so it makes the place feel more real.

If you see what I mean.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Oh, "Immersion"?

I never had a use for the PS20 though.

I just waited for the Auto Shotgun to drop, add a couple of mods here, and boom, instadeath for the guy that tapped his way round the corner.

Or If I'm in the stealth mood, I'll pull out the PROD, or the Baton.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Xesum wrote:What is the point of the PS20?
I might be wrong, but I think it originally was meant to be multi shot or something

Wait, I'll retract that, I think it was more making them stackable rather than being multi-shot

anyway according to the DeusEx Wiki: http://en.deusex.wikia.com/wiki/PS20
The PS20 is completely useless. You can't hold more than one at one time, it can't kill a NSF troop with one chest shot, and there's about five or so throughout the entire game. If you find one, either fire it for fun or dump it.
Last edited by Morpheus on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

It doesn't set off the "He's holding a gun, lets run like hell/shoot him," reaction. Thus it allows you to get a shot off before anyone realizes you're armed. The fact that that was basically never a useful feature to have does limit its utility.

It can also serve as one last little bit of long range weaponry before you have to go in and finish someone off with your knife/crowbar/sword/baton/prod.

I actually think that somewhere in The Nameless Mod you can find my description of ways that the thing could theoretically be useful from PDX. The conclusion was basically that it could be useful under a somewhat bizarre set of circumstances that never really come up. Though I do stand by that pre-fallback weapon thing.

If you're going to have to take on someone with a melee weapon because you ran out of ammo for all the good weapons wouldn't you want to shoot them first? Maybe you'd actually kill them and thus not have to get your hands dirty. The PS20 can give you that shot at a cost of one inventory slot.

[prepost edit:]
DDL's reasoning is better.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Xesum wrote:What is the point of the PS20?
Yep, that and the spy drone aug are two things I never use.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Spy drone is an absolutely brilliant aug, for the following reasons:
- spying (duh...)
- EMP attacks
- flying (well, surviving huge drops by floating to the ground)
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

AgentSmithereens wrote:Spy drone is an absolutely brilliant aug, for the following reasons:
- spying (duh...)
- EMP attacks
- flying (well, surviving huge drops by floating to the ground)
:mrgreen: I will always choose the ADS option as it is more useful and less energy eating.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

The Hell's Kithcen UNATCO troops use their nades if you tell them they save lives and they should keep them.

Of course more than not they disable all UNATCO troopers giving the NSF free targetpractice, but whatever.

What was fun was the pre-1.0.3 ABI guard in TNM using a Vortex Grenade. Darn; that guy was devestating (mostly to friendlies too :D).
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

If you are suicidal, or using godmode, it should actually be fairly simple to make every weapon fire vortex grenades.

A slightly less devastating (but still crazy) thing to do would be to make only certain things fire them.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

chris the cynic wrote:If you are suicidal, or using godmode, it should actually be fairly simple to make every weapon fire vortex grenades.

A slightly less devastating (but still crazy) thing to do would be to make only certain things fire them.
Hahaha! A vortex grenade firing silenced pistol. \ 0 /
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Actually in the "everything fires the same thing" world I find melee weapons most useful because they never run out of ammo. (Though, of course, the flamethrower is useful for its fire rate.) Never tried it with vortex grenades, but when everything fires rockets a crowbar is about as useful as anything else.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I prefer the LAW on the Deus Ex WIKI
While usually not entirely practical in combat situations, the LAW has proven extremely effective in stress relief and general recreation. Its ability to blow through practically anything that isn't either pure level geometry or a Plot-Critical-Character (the two most indestructible materials known to man) as though it were made of damp rice paper gives the LAW almost limitless potential. Uses include:

* Helping your brother clear out his apartment before moving out;
* Reducing the customer base of a competing Triad's inconveniently successful Nightclub;
* Letting a famous actress, her maid, her living room and most of her windows know what you think of her movies without going to the trouble of actually talking to her;
* Settling gang wars without getting overly involved;
* Resolving hostage situations;
* Resolving domestic disputes;
* Simplifying Terrorist Negotiations;
* Exterminating pests such as rats, cockroaches, acidic chickens and mole people;
* Taking Before and After shots of a busy marketplace;
* Ensuring witnesses don't;
* Creating your own fireworks;
* Painting your walls black... or red;
* Permanently opening doors;
* Performing Viking funerals.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I seem to recall reading that the PS20 was designed as a concealable weapon for the white house mission, because you obviously wouldn't be let into the building with any sort of weapons on you - you could acquire a hide-a-gun (as the PS20 is still called in the code) and sneak that past all the security. I guess when the White House mission was axed and no map seriously used that restriction any more, they thought they might as well turn the concealable weapon into something slightly more powerful and keep it in the game.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I'm sure JC could just hide a gun in his rectum.
Delta2501
UNATCO

Post by Delta2501 »

That sounds like an interesting premise (so long as you got your other weapons back afterwards). I expect I could sneak a baton or pepper spray through though and then just pilfer all the weapons I ever needed from unconscious guards, after all we all know everyone in America has a gun :)

Speaking of secret weapons, will some not set off the metal detectors in DXI? I'd have thought the baton, pepper spray and blowpipe would be unlikely to contain metal parts.