Disney's Steampunk Mickey - A new game by Warren Spector

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Xesum
Illuminati

Re: Disney's Steampunk Mickey - A new game by Warren Spector

Post by Xesum »

Jaedar wrote:
Xesum wrote:I have WiiSports and WiiPlay.

That's it.
You should buy the metroid prime trilogy (in stores soon methinks) 3 of the best console FPS's ever, at the price of one, I'd buy it if not for the fact I already have them all :)
I'd buy it but I've already used up my Video Game Budget for August.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Hassat Hunter wrote:I guess were you live Loony, there aren't people who "modify" your console for a modest sum, like here in Holland?
We have that in Sweden as well, with a little effort you could probably find some 15 year old who'd do it for free :P
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Wii Motion stuff doesn't seem realistic, it seems to be half a second behind you.

The Sixaxis on a Ps3 controller is annoying, because if you start the system with the controller at a certain angle, it can think that's the flat bit.*

*This only happened to me while playing Mirrors Edge.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

More and more I'm thinking this is going to be one of those "wag and win" games that the Wii is notorious for. If it turns out Disney has Warren Spector developing Casual games.. then the industry has truly gone to hell- its a waste of talent.

Spector has a strong RPG background so to not do an RPG instead do a platformer is just fucking stupid.. I mean did Disney not see how well Kingdom Hearts did? and the Wii needs more decent RPGs. The game in my mind could easily conform to something like Toon- its got the IP to do a damn good job at it and Spector would know exactly what to do because he's already done it before.

I'm concerned this will be a gimick "novelty" game- which is a shame because the idea sounds awesome.

All they have to say is "this game is for non-gamers" and I'll write the idea off.
OiNutter
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by OiNutter »

Just saw this posted by Scatman on The Graveyard of the Ruins of the Boards Formerly Known as The PDX Forums.

(Aside) Scatman is an oldbie PDXer, but I do not know if he made it into TNM.

While reading his link (sanitized to this page) I thought it was obvious that this was satire, especially since there we no links to the "evidence" it threw about.

Then I got to the bottom and found the link to the source and realized that not only is this actually real (!), but I am going to have to eat my hat!

Back when we first heard about Disney acquiring Junction Point, I made a certain topic....
OiNutter wrote: ...Disney [installed] a new filter on Warren Spector's imagination...
Warren Spector wrote: Image
You win this round, Spector.

...and damn, did you ever win.
Last edited by OiNutter on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed markup
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

so rather than Disney censor Deus Ex.. Deus Ex censored Disney :D
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Thanks OiNutter.That was educational.*wanted to do something else besides a man in a dark trench coat* and the days of the hundred hour game are gone* :cry:
It's the end of the world as we know it, or at least want it.Maybe i should change the we (homo phonic simile intended)to me?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

"I want to do a cartoon game really bad - well, really good. People don't realise that I did my Masters thesis on Warner Brothers cartoons, you know - I used to teach animation classes, I've been a Disney stockholder since I was 19. I'm a cartoon freak, I've met a bunch of the old WB directors, and did Toon, the cartoon [pen-and-paper] RPG… And I've been trying to get somebody to let me do a cartoon game for the entire time I’ve been in the videogame business."
This makes me think he really wanted to go back to Toon.. As do I. Toon is an awesome RPG.
OiNutter
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by OiNutter »

Jimmothy and I were just making quips about various concepts of the Echelon system in pop conspiracy, and I happened to find myself at the Wikipedia page for one permutation of the mythos, where I was instantly met with the following.

I think it would be damn clever if Warren Spector is planning to insinuate that Epcot houses an enormous antenna used for pervasive surveillance, and I'm sure Kevin Bacon would love it too.

* Note: I realize that the material used in Epcot's shell would defeat the purpose of a radome, and that a return to form is hardly six degrees of separation, but the former can be easily overcome by a plethora of narrative devices, and the latter is valid, but it's still one hell of a coincidence, don't you think?
Morti
UNATCO

Post by Morti »

This is relevant to my interests. I also like platformers and the Wii so huzzah.

For the record, "proper" exclusive games on the Wii that I like: Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Red Steel, The Conduit, Sonic and The Secret Rings (shut up, I liked it).

Although my Wii is sufficiently modded for homebrew so I mainly play emulated games these days. Homebrew Channel with emulators for NES, SNES, Game Boy (Color/Advance/Original), Neo Geo Pocket Color, Master System, Game Gear and Mega Drive. Hooray! :D

Anyway, on topic, yes, I'd certainly pirate this game and then buy it if I enjoyed it.
OiNutter
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by OiNutter »

Morti wrote:Anyway, on topic, yes, I'd certainly pirate this game and then buy it if I enjoyed it.
Uh-oh, does this mean that money is only spent on making a game if it meets your evaluation? I might need to rethink my plan to become a game developer -- I'm not sure I want to spend years on projects that have a large chance of not actually paying me.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

OiNutter wrote:
Morti wrote:Anyway, on topic, yes, I'd certainly pirate this game and then buy it if I enjoyed it.
Uh-oh, does this mean that money is only spent on making a game if it meets your evaluation? I might need to rethink my plan to become a game developer -- I'm not sure I want to spend years on projects that have a large chance of not actually paying me.
Sorry , OiNutter, but plenty of people think like this most of the time... Well unless you provide a demo. We are in an economic recession, we can't just spend money on stuff that MIGHT be good :). And sales are irrelevant for your salary if you have a publisher anyways. (although the longevity of said payments may change)
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I'm squarely on Jaedar's side on that one, I have no problem with piracy as a substitute for demos, as long as the game is actually purchased if it meets your expectations. I don't do this a lot with games because even a poor game is never really a bad purchase when you're a game designer (learning from bad examples etc), but I do it with music all the time.

Oi: I agreed with you on the patch issue because I know how impossibly complex game systems are, but seriously, if you charge money for a product, you have a considerable obligation towards your costumers, and expecting them to pay for a game they have no chance to try out and just suck it down if it turns out to be a piece of shit is not the way to go. If you want people to pay you, make good games.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
loony636
UNATCO

Post by loony636 »

Hassat Hunter wrote:I guess were you live Loony, there aren't people who "modify" your console for a modest sum, like here in Holland?

Console games certainly aren't less hard to pirate. Then for why piracy is more present on PC's (is it though?) is because lack of knowledge that it can be done, like everyone knows now on the PC (publicy has it's effect), yet each and every real "gamer" on the console knows how to do the trick there too.
I was referring more to hard modding, like opening up and soldering mod chips to your console's motherboard.

And while I'm sure there are people who modify consoles here in Australia, I haven't sought them out.
Jonas wrote:I'm squarely on Jaedar's side on that one, I have no problem with piracy as a substitute for demos, as long as the game is actually purchased if it meets your expectations. I don't do this a lot with games because even a poor game is never really a bad purchase when you're a game designer (learning from bad examples etc), but I do it with music all the time.
What about games which already provide demos?

And I don't buy the economic recession point; there was just as much piracy before the economic downturn as there is now, so that point isn't valid.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

loony636 wrote: And I don't buy the economic recession point; there was just as much piracy before the economic downturn as there is now, so that point isn't valid.
The point is valid, but peoples reason for piracy were not, now they are(sometimes, not very often).
Jonas wrote:I have no problem with piracy as a substitute for demos, as long as the game is actually purchased if it meets your expectations.
I actually did this for Stalker, but I'm to lazy to have bought it yet (I did remove it from my Hard drive though, to not be tempted).
odio ergo sum