Free kitchen sink designs from Nigeria

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: GMDX Mode- v2.1 Release

Post by DDL »

Just have them set their defaults to their current health in postbeginplay() or something. That way any pawns you fiddle with, health-wise, will behave correctly as soon as they've spawned.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DDL wrote:Just have them set their defaults to their current health in postbeginplay() or something. That way any pawns you fiddle with, health-wise, will behave correctly as soon as they've spawned.
You can do that for individual pawns of the same class? Say if I were do place two mutts in a level, one with default health, the other with double, you could postbeginplay mod just one of the mutts default health?
It would need it's own class or a tag of sorts, right?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

DDL wrote:Just have them set their defaults to their current health in postbeginplay() or something. That way any pawns you fiddle with, health-wise, will behave correctly as soon as they've spawned.
Or he could just make the MIB Mk II and MJ12 Elite their own classes. It would actually be more simple and more correct in any number of ways, probably. All he'd need to do is make new classes that are subclasses of the normal MIB and MJ12Troop, change a few values, and that's the end of that.
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

Let me ask you. When was the last time you played your mod from start to finish? Did you not notice that those two were bugged as hell?
YK: And you... you... are a bad actress.
(unknown sound)
MC: And you have one less finger...
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DDentonas wrote:Let me ask you. When was the last time you played your mod from start to finish? Did you not notice that those two were bugged as hell?
They behave consistently for me. But I never used the Targeting aug to see something was wrong. What about MJ12 commandos, what readout did targeting aug give them? They have double health also.
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

Commandos died when their health reached 0%

They did start with 250% health though. But it didn't matter, they're not almost immortal like the other two!
(unknown sound)
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Hmm. That's odd:

Code: Select all

defaultproperties
{
     MinHealth=0.000000
     CarcassType=Class'DeusEx.MJ12CommandoCarcass'
     WalkingSpeed=0.296000
     bCanCrouch=False
     CloseCombatMult=0.500000
     InitialInventory(0)=(Inventory=Class'DeusEx.WeaponMJ12Commando')
     InitialInventory(1)=(Inventory=Class'DeusEx.Ammo762mm',Count=24)
     InitialInventory(2)=(Inventory=Class'DeusEx.WeaponMJ12Rocket')
     InitialInventory(3)=(Inventory=Class'DeusEx.AmmoRocketMini',Count=10)
     BurnPeriod=0.000000
     GroundSpeed=200.000000
     HealthHead=250
     HealthTorso=250
     HealthLegLeft=250
     HealthLegRight=250
     HealthArmLeft=250
     HealthArmRight=250
     Mesh=LodMesh'DeusExCharacters.GM_ScaryTroop'
     MultiSkins(0)=Texture'DeusExCharacters.Skins.MJ12CommandoTex1'
     MultiSkins(1)=Texture'DeusExCharacters.Skins.MJ12CommandoTex1'
     MultiSkins(2)=Texture'DeusExCharacters.Skins.MJ12CommandoTex0'
     MultiSkins(3)=Texture'DeusExCharacters.Skins.MJ12CommandoTex1'
     CollisionRadius=28.000000
     CollisionHeight=49.880001
     BindName="MJ12Commando"
     FamiliarName="MJ12 Commando"
     UnfamiliarName="MJ12 Commando"
}
I do not remember changing those values. Is 250 the vanilla default health value of commandos? I could swear they were always 120 HP or so in the maps. This could mean if health in Ued <= default value no bugs will occur.
That means to fix this bug I only need to raise MJ12Troop.uc & MiB.uc default health values?

:-k

#-o Of course that would fix it! Afterwards I may need to load up Ued and go and lower standard MJ12 troop & MiB health back to 100 and 350 respectively though (Or whatever it is vanilla). This would be the fastest fix.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Just make your own classes. Seriously. Any other way you do it is going to end up buggy, even if the bugs are minor (such as the targeting aug giving incorrect values). You're trying to do this the really weird, hackish, difficult way when the obvious, proven, fairly-easy solution is right in front of you.

Those Commando default values seem like the vanilla ones to me. In my mod, at least, the targeting aug gives proper values for them, so I have no idea what's going on there.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-Flex wrote:Just make your own classes. Seriously. Any other way you do it is going to end up buggy, even if the bugs are minor (such as the targeting aug giving incorrect values). You're trying to do this the really weird, hackish, difficult way when the obvious, proven, fairly-easy solution is right in front of you.
Hmm, you may be right. But I dread the tedium of replacing all those pawns and assigning the tags etc.

I suppose it has to be done anyway for when HDTP team (or DDL) releases the fix to MJ12 troops, so then I'd be able to have HDTP-ified MJ12 Troops & MJ12 Elite, since MJ12 Elite uses additional textures that HDTP already improves.

I may as well just wait until then. It's only the Targeting aug, minor. Elite are not "immortal" as DDentonas claims. I was stealth killing them with the nerfed dragons tooth at untrained. 25*12=300. You'd need Baton at master skill to KO them though: 20*12=240. Baton is buffed to deal 10 base dmg. Or you could just prod them.
For the MiB Mk.II's they may seem Immortal though, 750 is a lot of health, along with the speed enhancement and other buffs. They are meant to be the ultimate test for a OP nano-augmented agent. They are not that hard though. DDentonas completed it pretty fast, and you can always just sneak past, stealth Kill, or try other tactics.
If it were truly hard he'd be raging.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Cybernetic pig wrote:It's only the Targeting aug, minor.
I'm not so sure about this. You know about the Targeting aug because it's clearly verified, but I wouldn't be surprised if other things are problematic as well given the mismatch between default health values and actual health values.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Maybe, but there is nothing apparent from three playthroughs....three playthroughs without the targeting aug however. I always grab Aug Vision, even considering Aug target gives a damage bonus...but that is not good testing practices, so much to consider :so: DDentonas has been great scouting out what I have missed.
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Elite are not "immortal" as DDentonas claims. I was stealth killing them with the nerfed dragons tooth at untrained. 25*12=300. You'd need Baton at master skill to KO them though: 20*12=240. Baton is buffed to deal 10 base dmg. Or you could just prod them.
For the MiB Mk.II's they may seem Immortal though, 750 is a lot of health, along with the speed enhancement and other buffs. They are meant to be the ultimate test for a OP nano-augmented agent. They are not that hard though. DDentonas completed it pretty fast, and you can always just sneak past, stealth Kill, or try other tactics.
If it were truly hard he'd be raging.
Sure they are not as immortal as MiBs, but any enemy that requires explosives to die (in a mod where most explosives are removed (that didn't stop me from having 17 gep rockets though :mrgreen: ) ) can seem immortal when you are fighting them with a rifle. And wait, why are they so much harder to kill then Walton Simons or Gunther or even the commandos? If this is not a bug that makes them so hard to kill, it is really weird design.

As for the MiB's, when you said other tactics you mean something like sniping them with a gep gun, throw two gep rockets at them, and when they get close, have two tnt crates placed so you can blow them up when you can't aim? Because I tried that. They didn't die. Of course I could kill them if I tried, but again, why are they harder then Walton Simons?
(unknown sound)
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

One way to more easily replace the pawns with those of your own modded class is to copy the old ones in the editor, paste them into a text file, alter the class in that text file, and then paste them back in, after double-checking to make sure the values set will work fine. You'll see what I mean when you try it.

Should work, anyway.
DDL

Post by DDL »

DDentonas: having health values significantly larger than default health values will produce odd results, since (as G-flex points out, repeatedly) the game assumes that health values start out equal to defaults, and only ever go lower (reflecting damage).

So for example:

limbdamage += float(default.healthlegleft - healthlegleft)/default.healthlegleft;

with a leg with default health 100, health 100 points, you get zero (no leg damage). With 50 points of damage, you get 0.5. With 100, you get 1.

Now, with a leg with default health 100, health 250 points, you get -1.5 (wuh?). With 50 points of damage, you get -1.0 (wuh??) and in fact you need to deliver 150 points of damage before the damage calculation reports zero (undamaged).

The final health calculation is based on a summed value compiled from limb damage, head damage and torso damage, and if this final summed value exceeds 1, the pawn is dead. So if boosted health values can provide negative numbers, they can out compete actual damage (i.e limbs reporting -1.5 will combine with a head and torso reporting 1.0 each to give a final value of 0.5: the dude's head and body are totally gone, but he's fine coz his legs are SUPER).

It gets messy and does weird things, basically. They're not super strong, they're buggy.

EDIT: holy shit that is a neat trick, G-flex! So doing that generates an editable text list of everything that is altered from defaults? Holy shit. I wonder if I can use that to switch movertypes...
EDITEDIT: I can! Wow. Learn something neat every day! Thanks!
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DDL wrote:DDentonas: having health values significantly larger than default health values will produce odd results, since (as G-flex points out, repeatedly) the game assumes that health values start out equal to defaults, and only ever go lower (reflecting damage).
So just raising their default health would be a simple fix? If an enemy has < the default health the game would just assume they are already damaged, but this wouldn't be a problem, even for the target aug.
Now, with a leg with default health 100, health 250 points, you get -1.5 (wuh?). With 50 points of damage, you get -1.0 (wuh??) and in fact you need to deliver 150 points of damage before the damage calculation reports zero (undamaged).

The final health calculation is based on a summed value compiled from limb damage, head damage and torso damage, and if this final summed value exceeds 1, the pawn is dead. So if boosted health values can provide negative numbers, they can out compete actual damage (i.e limbs reporting -1.5 will combine with a head and torso reporting 1.0 each to give a final value of 0.5: the dude's head and body are totally gone, but he's fine coz his legs are SUPER).
It gets messy and does weird things, basically. They're not super strong, they're buggy.
They do die from only shooting them in the head, or stealth killing them. going lower than 0 for a body part must still calculate.
DDentonas wrote: Of course I could kill them if I tried, but again, why are they harder then Walton Simons?
MiB are about as tough as simons arent they? Around the same health, Simons has speed enhancement by default, and cloak, and ADS.
Well I suppose with this bug they are harder.
G-Flex wrote:One way to more easily replace the pawns with those of your own modded class is to copy the old ones in the editor, paste them into a text file, alter the class in that text file, and then paste them back in, after double-checking to make sure the values set will work fine. You'll see what I mean when you try it.

Should work, anyway.
:shock:
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Tue May 14, 2013 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.