The Deus Ex Mod List

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I looked into it a bit deeper than 'It doesn't work, oh well'.
It did not load the Mutations.ini, so I was playing with DeusEx.ini, adding quotes around the ini paths solved that for me:

Code: Select all

wine "C:\DeusEx\System\Mutations.exe" INI="C:\DeusEx\System\Mutations.ini" USERINI="C:\DeusEx\System\MutationsUser.ini" log=Mutations.log
I think you will experience similar issues on windows when there are spaces in your path (Program Files), but anyhow, it works now. Let's see if it's cool :)
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Yep, that will cause problems in Windows, as well. The initial HDTP installer had that problem.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
terthos
Thug

Post by terthos »

Thanks EER! I will post this at the website when I get the chance.
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

MOAR!!!
DX: Genetic Disorder - this one looks pretty amateur.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Fish? Uh what?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I'm wondering which is the most anticipated mod - besides TNM of course, I think we all agree on that one. MiB looks pretty awesome, and project 2027 too (let's hope they include English voice acting). And the Klystron project seems to be pretty professional, but Í'm not sure whether they have voice acting and that - though it may seem as something not very important - is definately a must. Which is why I liked Burden of '80 proof, and am probably going to like TNM.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I'm willing to bet copious sums of money that HDTP is the most highly anticipated mod for Deus Ex.

Disregarding HDTP, I really wouldn't know. But don't get your hopes up for Klystron. It's not technically dead, but I don't think anybody is working on it either. It's best to just forget about Klystron until they do a bit of PR, and then forget about them again, etc., until they eventually release something.

2027 looks awesome but it's damn near impossible to tell when it'll be done. Like TNM, they've been claiming their mod is very nearly done for years. At least TNM is in beta though, so you know it'll be out soon(ish). Plus Ded seems to be the only guy working on 2027, so progress on the mod is probably completely dependent on the development of his life.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

http://www.dxalpha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12665
Thu Aug 07, 08 Dae wrote:Ded says that he won't give up a project that he's put so much effort into, and that is actually a standalone game that may run without Deus Ex. Pr 2027 is indeed a weighty line in a CV.

Half a year ago he paused the development (again) because he started a web-design company in Novosibirsk. Now it runs well (by his own words).

A week ago he announced that he continues the development of the project. However he thinks that the story line contains too much of a "teenager bombast" (the project started when he was 15, now he's 21), and he'll try to get around that using the "flash backs". "Flash backs" will make the player think more, and the story won't seem so plain.

The other problem are texts, some of which were written long ago. He's developed some solution that partially solves that problem, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to disclose what is it (I will only say that it was done with the help of [A]lex).

And yeah... answering to the rumours, Ded wasn't hired by Eidos Montreal.
Last edited by fox on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Is MIB still going? I haven't heard much from them, lately.

I agree with Jonas that HDTP is the most highly anticipated, by far.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

fox wrote:Ded says that he won't give up a project that he's put so much effort into, and that is actually a standalone game that may run without Deus Ex.
That sounds illegal. Highly, highly illegal. If he's still using the Unreal engine (and I assume he is) and he's still using textures (maybe he isn't), code (I certainly hope he is), and models (he almost doubtlessly is) from the original game, enabling the mod to run without a DX installation is major cease-and-desist material.

Or maybe it's just PR bullshit. God knows we have some of that ourselves :P

But either way it looks like it'll be a pretty impressive mod.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I'm a bit worried about the "flashbacks" part...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well I understand why he's worried, I was 15 when we started TNM as well, and now I'm 22. Looking back on the stuff I wrote 6 years ago can be pretty flinch-inducing. Thankfully we've kept rewriting significant parts of the mod throughout the development of TNM, and Gelo has had a go at improving the more plot-critical text, so most of our dialogue is up to scratch. Plus we have the distinct advantage that TNM doesn't take itself seriously - there are few things worse than teenagers who take themselves and their work too seriously. That Ded is going over the story to make it more mature is probably a very good and admirable thing :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

I don't know what the hell's going on with MIB, it's gone from weekly(ish) website updates and screenshots on ModDB to no update in over a year. Same with 2027, there were signs of a spurt of progress earlier this year but it's very quiet now. On the other hand you've got mods like Revision which are progressing very rapidly even though there's only 1 person working on it (there's even an update out today). I was going to play it but remembered my next DX playthrough was going to be with New Vision.

Also sorry guys but I think HDTP's the more anticipated mod than TNM. I've seen loads of posts on other forums going 'when's hdtp out?' but not too many 'when's tnm done?' which is surprising considering the amount of 'advertising' you guys do.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Graphical enhancements like New Vision and HDTP are WYSIWYG and people are less hesitant with their anticipation.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well it makes a lot of sense and there are no hard feelings. HDTP is basically The Best Game In History (Now Prettier), whereas TNM is more of a, well, a mostly-completely-new thing. If you've played Deus Ex, you can pretty much tell what HDTP is going to be just by looking at the screenshots on their site, which is: Deus Ex, but prettier. It's more difficult to convey why TNM is good, you really have to play it to understand, and even then it's never going to be quite as good as HDTP because HDTP is a prettier version of THE BEST GAME IN HISTORY.

Really, it's no competition at all :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine