OTP Recruiting 3d Modeller/Animator AND Coder

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

OTP Recruiting 3d Modeller/Animator AND Coder

Post by Trestkon »

I have a whole nice post prepared, but it was eaten by another forum. In any case, everyone here already knows what we're about (but I'll paste it in when the other forum un-eats it).

Long story short, we're recruiting a 3d modeler/animator to help us with character animations and environment models. Obviously such an applicant should be fairly skilled in those areas. We're offering a 5% profit share of the eventual profits (sadly, our indie status reduces us to IOUs, but it's the same for the entire team).

Hit us up here or mail jobs@offtopicproductions.com

EDIT: We're now also looking to recruit a coder! Someone with a good working knowledge of UnrealScript and (preferably) AI would be our ideal candidate. Same profit share deal as the modeler position.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Re: OTP Recruiting 3d Modeller/Animator

Post by chris the cynic »

I keep on waiting for the, "We're looking for someone with no skills of any kind," job opening. I'd love to join you guys, I just have no applicable skills.

-

Also, I hope that you're aware that you're offering more than IOUs. It seems to me that you're essentially selling hope, if your project is successful then everyone involved will be able to put a successful commercial game on their resumes and I would guess that that could potentially be a more powerful motivator than a percentage of the profits.

Of course maybe the reason you didn't bring that up is that your post got eaten and everyone here knows that anyway.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

chris the cynic wrote:I keep on waiting for the, "We're looking for someone with no skills of any kind," job opening. I'd love to join you guys, I just have no applicable skills.

-

Also, I hope that you're aware that you're offering more than IOUs. It seems to me that you're essentially selling hope, if your project is successful then everyone involved will be able to put a successful commercial game on their resumes and I would guess that that could potentially be a more powerful motivator than a percentage of the profits.

Of course maybe the reason you didn't bring that up is that your post got eaten and everyone here knows that anyway.
I'm not sure selling hope is a viable business model :p

As for non-game design jobs, not much is more important the community PR and spreading the word!
JizzyJeff
UNATCO

Post by JizzyJeff »

I sell rainbow ponies. Of hope.
My name is not Jeff.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Trestkon wrote:I'm not sure selling hope is a viable business model :p
Well not selling hope on it's own, but 5% of the eventual profits plus a potential stepping stone to future jobs in the world of game making is a better pitch than 5% of the eventual profits. Now the second bit is implied in the first, but I would think that making it explicit is a good idea anyway.

Of course I could be completely wrong about that.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

5% of a bajillion dollars is a lot of money.

I wish I knew how to animate/model.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

chris the cynic wrote:I keep on waiting for the, "We're looking for someone with no skills of any kind," job opening. I'd love to join you guys, I just have no applicable skills.
Same here, same here :(.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Jaedar wrote:5% of a bajillion dollars is a lot of money.
Yes, and when they're all buying their own private islands I have no doubt that I'll be kicking myself for not having spent the last several years learning to model and animate.

It just seems to me that when you're offering a payment figure as 5% of an unspecified amount of money at an indeterminate time in the the future it might be a good idea to also emphasize the non-monetary rewards. Like the fact that we're talking about a for profit game that the modeler/animator could put on their resume. Something one could use to say to a potential future employer, "I did this," and possibly, "I did this, now imagine what I could do working full time as a part of your team." Or whatever.

And I think that at this point my hijacking of this thread is official. Since that was never my intention the time has come to hang my head and apologize.

*hangs head*

Sorry.
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Indeed.
Can I just be your mascot or something? :P
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

I think I'll Forth this sentiment along with everyone else. lol
In terms of community PR. I descended upon all my gaming friends like the rabid fanboy that I am when TNM came out insisting they all download it immediately. I suppose I'll be doing the same thing with Hyperion. :)
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Jcelios wrote:
I think I'll Forth this sentiment along with everyone else. lol
In terms of community PR. I descended upon all my gaming friends like the rabid fanboy that I am when TNM came out insisting they all download it immediately. I suppose I'll be doing the same thing with Hyperion. :)
A prodigious noble pursuit!
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: OTP Recruiting 3d Modeller/Animator AND Coder

Post by Trestkon »

Updated, now also looking for an additional coder.

Even if YOU are not that coder/modeler, perhaps you know someone? If so, send 'em our way!
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Ditto.

I would even fail at the non-existent "idea guy" position as my ideas tend to be incomplete and/or fail at epic proportions.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Woot that's totally awesome because I totally know how to code... sort of.... not really. Well I can do some rudimentary programs in Java. I doubt I have the sufficient skills to to work on a game though.

Don't get me wrong though, I am a master of the parts of Java I have studied, it's just that I've only studied the basics.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Jaedar wrote:Don't get me wrong though, I am a master of the parts of Java I have studied, it's just that I've only studied the basics.
A Master Of the Basics! :mrgreen:
Better than I.. I wish i could code <_<

*Breaks Out 'C++ for Dummies'*
Jeeees Its a Big Book #-o
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.