Emulating PS2 Deus Ex - The Conspiracy

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Emulating PS2 Deus Ex - The Conspiracy

Post by DDL »

DX has never been easily played as a shooter, unless you set it to easy and/or get augBallistic and Skillenviro + ballistic armour.

It's not ammo shortages that hold you back, it's the fact that JC is made of tinfoil and prayer. :D
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DDL wrote:Also prevents anyone having more than three things, similar to bioshock.
Which is a bit rubbish, really. Especially if you want to add character to NPCs.
Yes the fact that it is only three slots sucks, but I meant the way it worked, the take all and unchecking a item mechanic. If it were the same mechanic but with 5 slots (in DX1 the most you ever pick up at once is five?) then that would be the best way, right?
DDL wrote:DX has never been easily played as a shooter, unless you set it to easy and/or get augBallistic and Skillenviro + ballistic armour.
It's not ammo shortages that hold you back, it's the fact that JC is made of tinfoil and prayer. :D
I play DX as a shooter almost every time and on realistic, Not once have I been in a really tough situation. If you die too many times, find an alternate route/solution (which I have never had to do but just clean the place out and explore every part of each level, no stone unturned). I wouldn't really say DX is hard even on realistic it just takes some brains to beat, not precise shooting or quick reflexes, although it helps.

And I never invest in Skillenviro + vests and have never even used AugBallistic once. Speed enhancement & health regen is all you need. DX:HR is harder to play as a shooter, AJ takes half the amount of bullets as JC even with dermal armour, and health regen is very slow.
But I suppose I will not be saying that if I played DX1 without health regen, which will be my next challenge.

Speed enhancement & Regen combo do make it easy mode though. If you have both fully upgraded + battery recirculator then all other augs become useless, and that is what made me say augs are unbalanced. I play DX at hyper speed yet still leave no stone unturned, there are too many Bioelectric cells lying around allowing for near constant SE use. I remember an epic moment when I speed enhance jumped over an enemy and throwing knifed him in the head whilst airbourne. I need to start uploading to youtube, not enough people play as Hyper-cybernetic killing machine JC, and when they do they usually are just spamming the Dragons Tooth.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fritz
Thug

Post by Fritz »

Hello all.
I know that 09_NYC_Graveyard map of DX on PC has no sound. PS2 have this map and sound for that map?
In 3rd mission on PC was cuted the important dialog with Lebedev and Tong. On PS2 this dialog was cuted too?
The player overhears this through a speaker. Tong and Lebedev are talking to each other over an encrypted Internet audio connection.
JuanLebedev It's Paul's brother.
TracerTong Kill him. We can't take the chance.
JuanLebedev I can talk to him.
TracerTong Just get out of there. We lost the shipment but you can still bring me a sample. A few milliliters is enough.
JuanLebedev Trust me. He'll come over. UNATCO has a habit of overindoctrinating their agents. It'll backfire, just like with Paul.
TracerTong This socket is being monitored. Signing off.

In 3rd mission on PC was cuted the message for Paul on AnsweringMachine but AnsweringMachine was cuted from game. On PS there are no AnsweringMachine too?
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Fritz wrote:Hello all.
I know that 09_NYC_Graveyard map of DX on PC has no sound. PS2 have this map and sound for that map?
In 3rd mission on PC was cuted the important dialog with Lebedev and Tong. On PS2 this dialog was cuted too?
The player overhears this through a speaker. Tong and Lebedev are talking to each other over an encrypted Internet audio connection.
JuanLebedev It's Paul's brother.
TracerTong Kill him. We can't take the chance.
JuanLebedev I can talk to him.
TracerTong Just get out of there. We lost the shipment but you can still bring me a sample. A few milliliters is enough.
JuanLebedev Trust me. He'll come over. UNATCO has a habit of overindoctrinating their agents. It'll backfire, just like with Paul.
TracerTong This socket is being monitored. Signing off.

In 3rd mission on PC was cuted the message for Paul on AnsweringMachine but AnsweringMachine was cuted from game. On PS there are no AnsweringMachine too?
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Return to New York music is in the PC version, just not in the GOTY version for some reason.
Those answering machine messages are not in the PS2 version, im pretty sure.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

They were cut from the game. They're available in the Shifter mod though.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Whoops misread that. Never realised PC version had no NY graveyard music.
AgentOrange
UNATCO

Post by AgentOrange »

I tried emulating this game on my PC. Needless to say, Dual Core CPU + PS2 Emulation = Massive FPS drops. I do like the little edits to the levels here and there, though.
"Heh, a Throne Room! How pretentious can you get?" - Garret
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Whoops misread that. Never realised PC version had no NY graveyard music.
Me either, guess because what you had to do there was short and it was a small map, you didn't think about not being music in it.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
pixel
Mole Person

Post by pixel »

Pardon my necroposting, but i always wanted to make a comparison between PC and PS2 versions of the game and recently i come across this wonderful thread. So i thought it wold be nice re-create these screenshots in PC version and compare them side by side with PS2 ones.
I asked fantsu for permission to use his screens through forum email system, but got no reply.
I really hope he doesn't mind :roll:
So here's my input, a steam guide with 100 screenshots compared http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =185990038
Cheers!
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Interesting. Nice seeing them side-by-side (though using Kenties DX10 renderer for the PC version is unfair :p it makes a huge difference).

Pros of PS2 version:

The rare level design changes that are for the better: an extra path in Airfield sewers for Environmental Training/Resistence players and a secret area in the dumb waiter at the Duclare chateau for example.

The weapon modding menu.

Better NPC models and anims.

Better cutscenes.

Unfortunately they dumbed down the gameplay unnecessarily and PC has mods, PS2 version now redundant....unless someone extracts those excellent cutscenes.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

pixel wrote: I asked fantsu for permission to use his screens through forum email system, but got no reply.
I really hope he doesn't mind :roll:
!
I wont. :)
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

And here are those excellent cutscenes, just in case somebody hasn't seen them by now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icdUSXpGAeY
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Just started playing this. Low framerate, low resolution, crappy interface, no widescreen (that I can be bothered installing). It's worth a try for the novelty, I guess.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

kdawg88 wrote:It's worth a try for the novelty, I guess.
If you don't turn insane from all the loading screens.....it's almost as bad as Invisible War in that regard.

More loading screens are to be expected on consoles, but Deus Ex on PS2 and Invisible War on Xbox has more than I've ever seen before and they took forever, I don't get it. Half-Life PS2 port was seamless, behaved pretty much the same as the PC version. Red Faction too. Morrowind and Arx Fatalis on Xbox took significantly longer to load than the PC counterparts, but had about the same number of screens and good performance.

Either way loading screens wont stop me from playing a good game....but I guess instead of optimizing performance properly they thought fuck it we'll just throw a load of loading screens in. I don't know how it works under the hood but there were plenty of great PC ports back then, all with decent loading except Deus Ex.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
kdawg88 wrote:It's worth a try for the novelty, I guess.
If you don't turn insane from all the loading screens.....it's almost as bad as Invisible War in that regard.

More loading screens are to be expected on consoles, but Deus Ex on PS2 and Invisible War on Xbox has more than I've ever seen before and they took forever, I don't get it. Half-Life PS2 port was seamless, behaved pretty much the same as the PC version. Red Faction too. Morrowind and Arx Fatalis on Xbox took significantly longer to load than the PC counterparts, but had about the same number of screens and good performance.

Either way loading screens wont stop me from playing a good game....but I guess instead of optimizing performance properly they thought fuck it we'll just throw a load of loading screens in. I don't know how it works under the hood but there were plenty of great PC ports back then, all with decent loading except Deus Ex.
Honestly, the loading screens aren't that much of a hassle, especially when you're using an emulator in which case you can speed up the game to make the loading screens faster. I actually managed to get the widescreen going (unstretched too) which is awesome. The thing that sucks is that you cannot increase the framerate on a PS2 (and therefore the emulator) without increasing the gamespeed at the same time, so I'm stuck on 60fps :(.