Emulating PS2 Deus Ex - The Conspiracy

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

fantsu
UNATCO

Emulating PS2 Deus Ex - The Conspiracy

Post by fantsu »

Just FYI.
While ago a new beta was released for PCSX2 emulator. Tried it (my PS2 is missing memory card, and it is in bad condition otherwise too) and it worked almost flawlessy. Maybe chance for those who haven't tried this awesome game (who don't have PS2). Finding Deus Ex for PS2 might be hard, depends if you have second hand shops for games near you. And then there is this illegal way to get the copy of course... I'm not going there.
But until now it has been unplayable (well mostly, it worked, but lagged like hell), and found out that it works now good enough (100% playable, with only few graphical glitches).
Not going to put any links, if there is people interested, 'cause don't know the "linking-policy" of this forum, but shouldn't be that hard to find. I can give help if needed.
Somewhat good computer is must.
:D
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Re: Emulating PS2 Deus Ex - The Conspiracy

Post by nerdenstein »

Ohh Wow I've Tryed Emulating A PS2 before but never got it working.
I have a fully working PS1 Emulator that works a treat though so i might look into this PS2 Emulator and try getting it working :P
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

Since I'm a big fan of both Deus Ex games, I'm going to post few pics on my latest PS2 version run. It is newer game so they fixed many things. One of the most important change gameplay-wise is of course the body search. Everytime you search a body it drops those items you can't carry and so you can quickly move the body without first making the room for that one pack of cigarettes first. :lol: :lol: :lol:
There are few others nifty changes like that also.
The biggest change adventure-wise is more complex levels, there is usually onee or two extra routes more in PS2 version.
Liberty Island:
The island is divided in 5 parts in PS2. The first part is the pier and the UNATCO yard. You must go through this toll booth thing to find UNATCO, terrorists doesn't exist here, so the UNATCO is holding its grounds much more effectively than on PC.

One minor change is the pier on the back side of the statue, where your contact is. There is actually ladders in the water where the sinked (?) ship is. Also one big crate is there for no reason.

Inside the statue there are these ladders to air ventilation shafts, so you can crawl up there to rescue Gunther Hermann.

So nothing groundbreaking on Liberty Island, but much more is coming. :D
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Oh the Nostalgia, I remember that.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

UNATCO building is pretty much the same, but that might be last place with same feeling than is PC version.
Next stop is Battery Park, and oh boy, here we go.
Actually Battery Park still has almost the same layout than on PC, but later on there will be quite big changes.
One thing that I noticed in PS2 version is that they make much more uses to your swimming skill, also the protection from radiation and toxins as well EMP damage is more important. Swimming on PC is pretty much useless (you can always use rebreathers when you need to swim, or just take aqualung). On this run I have aqualung... but it isn't actually enough, i need it more, I should have needed it more than 5 times and I'm in the beginning of the game. :D
Also the combat strenght isn't that good, but the strenght to carry heavy items would have been nice many times already, thos BIG metal crates block some entrances quite often.

On PS2 there is actually 5 (!) ways inside Castle Clinton.
One way is that if you have strenght you can just push this vending machine aside! yeah there is that secret entrance by the vending machine, not behind it!
Below the water in the beginning, there is long underwater shaft also, way to make in from there also!
There is this tunnel to the subway station, I like the simple look of this.
Castle clinton: Again you can get inside also behind Castle Clinton, just need some strenght again to posh some big crates aside. The Castle itself looks little bit different than on PC.

Inside Castle Clinton, well, this place has only few things similar than on PC. You can see the ambrosia down there.
they also added many new ventilation shafts here, it is actually very easy to stealth this place through.

You want more? Just aslk, and i can post few pics from this strange world. :D
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

I own the PS2 version and played through it once a long time ago. But I don't think a play by play account of the differences exists anywhere and I certainly don't remember them all.
So if you'd be willing to continue I'd certainly read it and find it interesting.
The pictures are great also.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Hurr Hurr Swiming skill.

Keep going, I like the memories.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

Time for Hell's Kitchen.
This place is nothing like on PC, nothing.
There is much more room around, long streets and many side alleys.
Free Clinic is just next door to the metro station and the park area is very strange.

This side alley doesn't exist on PC either, there is apartments on both sides, but only one can be accessed:

I kinda like the Osgood&Sons Imports design more, it is on end of this long street, crossing other street where 'ton hotel is. The alley on the right takes you the cellar of Osgood, that design on the otherhand is quite crappy, long corridors leading nowhere:

'ton hotels backalley is almost similar than on PC, behind me is an wall, so the streets can't be accessed, but there is some extra ventilation shafts:

As I said, the park area is nothing like on PC, it is empty surrounded by tall buildings, the most terrible park in the world it must be, dark and empty, kinda useless. On PS2, the park area is behind the basketball court, on PC there is those crates that lead to smugglers hideout.

...and lastly the biggest difference. The Water Treatment Facility. It is nothing like on PC, there isn't that turning bridge, there isn't that pit with poisonous water, see here. It looks more like an multiplayer designed deathmatch map :D

...and yes, the hotel is almost like on PC, the rooms on your brothers apartment are litle bit different, that is all. Same thing on the club, almost the same.

Next time the genarator.
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

As I recall the maps are divided into much smaller sections with more frequent loading points then their PC equivalents.
Could partially explain why so much redesigning took place. I'd assume it was to accommodate the Playstation 2 hardware.
I especially remember Wan Chai Market being a lot more spartan. But lets not get to far ahead. :)
The death animations are lot better though aren't they?
I mean in the PC version you could barely even called it an "animation". :P
Trasher
UNATCO

Post by Trasher »

Awesome pictures. I definitely would like to see some more!
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

I'm not sure what this PS2 emulator thing does. Does it mean you can play the PS2 version on your PC?

Also, keep these screenies coming; they're very interesting. I think for some reason I completely forgot to go to the sewers when I played the PS2 version, so I had no idea they looked like that.
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

AgentSmithereens wrote:Does it mean you can play the PS2 version on your PC?
Yep thats exactly what it means.
Emulators are software that try to "imitate" another platform/environment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_emulator
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Hahaa last summer i picked up a copy of PS2 Deus Ex for a £3 in a shop on Holiday ..
(Yes Even on Holiday I go Game Hunting :P )

I was bored one night and started playing it and even though I've played through the PC version several times
This version interested me.

Some of the levels looked better on the PS2 but others looked stupid.
I liked parts of PS2 Hells Kitchen but didn't like others.

And I hated the number of Load Timess :shock:
The death animations are lot better though aren't they?
I mean in the PC version you could barely even called it an "animation".
Animations were slightly improved, slightly.
The graphics were, in my opinion, dumbed down a little.
Actually, I simply looked as if Deus Ex was being ran at a low resolution.

And the controls were not bad either.
I was a little sceptical at first but it worked nicely! :D

If anybody hasnt played the PS2 version of this, Its is a welcome challenge for all Deus Ex Fans!

Fantsu, Keep these pictures and stuff coming its great!! :mrgreen:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

The graphics on PS2: Better animations (the dogs looks very cool), poor tuned-down textures, but some unique things also.

One gameplay thing that I didn't mention yet. To install augs, you don't need medbot in this one, so you can take advantage of those augs right away. Also medbots heal you 100% instantly.

Sorry about the dark pictures, should have used my handy flashlight.
So the generator is the next level:
They split this area in two parts, this means lots of more long corridors to join these two and you get lost easily.
The sewers are little bit more complex than on PC, and again you'll have to swin long distances. I have now used my aqualung more than combat strenght (and I like melee weapons :D ).

This apartment is extra, you don't find it on PC. That door over there isn't the elevator, the elevator is actually behind me.

This looks familiar from PC, but you can't see the generator building, cause it is on the second area, so sniping from here isn't that fun... :(

...but again they added something new also. This elevator shaft can't be found on PC, you can climb inside the lift and access the generator here also. I found five routes in actually.

At first the generator building looks familiar, but the surroundings are different.

Agent hermann went rogue, he killed like 10 guys.

The inside of the building is sealed. There is actually roofs dividing the floors (sounds stupid, but still very realistic :D ), on PC you can see from floor to another, on PS2, you don't.

Next time mole people and such, already played that place through, and my my, it is so cool. They changed it totally.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Note how Denton is wearing a Black Coat and not a blue one.