Emulating PS2 Deus Ex - The Conspiracy

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Xesum
Illuminati

Re: Emulating PS2 Deus Ex - The Conspiracy

Post by Xesum »

Every image and annotation in this thread should be put up on a website for future reference.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Another well done and thanks from me too. I can't get over the different JC in the console version. lol
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Angel-A
UNATCO

Post by Angel-A »

All those screenshots are awesome, and I lol'd at the typo. I agree that these should be put up for archive.
bobby 55 wrote:I can't get over the different JC in the console version. lol
HE HAS EARS!!!!11ONE
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

The FMVs have already been extracted and uploaded to youtube thanks to yours truly and JCPheonix.

INTRO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJegc9eEG8M
ENDINGS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtq7L2zphPQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye68o5tRgLI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGhVxTxjS-Y
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I tried to get this to run on my PC a while back when you first posted this, but the emulation came out really crap and unplayable. Also, is there a way to get around the awkward mouse issue (i.e. you only seem to be able to move up/down or left/right, not diagonally).
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

I don't know about the mouse issue, been using cheap game pad.
And the emulation sure takes lots of recourses from your processor,
good dual core is needed, but quad core might be the best option to run it smooth.

Also GSdx graphic plugin might run it better than ZEROgs.

I don't have very powerful computer, but it takes some time to try out everything.
Tweaking and testing, and in the end I got myself steady 50FPS-60FPS. At start it did run very poorly, like 15FPS.
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
Lucius DeBeers
Thug

Post by Lucius DeBeers »

Nice pictures and descriptions. I actually played this game first on the PS2 :/ It does have a few nice things to it, like they had more polygons to each model, the animations are better (I thought the PC death animation and walking humorous when I first saw them on PC) and I like the faces and player models more. I remember seeing a forum online where people were ripping the textures from the PS2 version to put into the PC version, wish I knew how to do that. on that particular forum, at the time I viewed it, they only ripped that chinese lady that had the dragon's tooth.
I am interested in emulating the game for kicks on my computer, one of these days I get around to it..

anyway, for like 5 dollars a few years back in a game store, it was worth buying :D
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

So all in all, the environment for the PS2 version is much better? Especially for the first half of the game..

On a sidenote Project 2027's maps are incredibly rich, can't wait for that game =P~
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Warning: bit of a necropost.

I've been trying to get this emulator to run on my PC, and while it works, performance is not very good. I get 60fps in some cases, but in others it goes down to 30. That shouldn't be much of an issue, since 30 fps minimum is more than enough, the game seems to run at half speed at 30 fps, resulting in terrible gameplay and audio (like everything is in bad slowmo). Did you experience that as well?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Can't say I had any trouble the second time I tried it, would probably depend largely on your processor though. I was running on an overclocked i7 920 so I had a decent amount of processing power behind it.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I have an i7 860, albeit at stock, but it has turbo so it will overclock itself to 3.4 GHz if only two cores are used. Thing is, my CPU is only stressed for about 10-15%.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

It is all about tweaking really, and making some compromises.
My friend got it running with jurassic Athlon64 4000+: steady 50fps.
He played it from window, I think it was 800x600.

He said it took few good hours to find best solution, and trying different releases (and shutting down everything else).

Cannot believe that i7 could not run it full speed with everything on.
:-k

Might be from the Deus Ex version you are trying too of course.
My copy is european version.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Very Interesting, learned more about DX today :)

I'll always love the PS2 version, for it was the game that introduced me to DX and Looking Glass etc. I beat it, thought OMG, then must've played through at least another four times in a row in the same year. Then just a few years ago I tried the PC version and was a little upset that quite a few areas were missing, but the PC version is still superior in everything else. There is important things in the levels missing in the PS2 version too. The Hells kitchen huge scale battles, more notably the Dowd one where you get ambushed, this should definately not have been cut in PS2 version, However it obviously was cut for Performance issues because when you get ambushed by MJ12 commandos in the Lucky Money on PS2 the FPS really is terrible. MJ12 base missing the rooftop. Hong Kong is just superior in so many ways on PC...If only we could have the best from both games combined, as someonelse said.

PC version has much quicker load times. The gameplay mechanics are just generally better in PC version, Grid based Inventory (sadly so flawed though, dont know how they could have messed this up, they had System shock 2s great inventory system to learn from) inputing codes and passwords manually (this shouldnt have been cut in PS2 either, you have to input codes etc manually in DX:HR on console) Guns actually have recoil in PC version, need a medbot to install augs, Locational health system, laser sight mod. Then Of course the PS2 version cannot have community-made mods. PC wins hands down. And all those times I played DX: the conspiracy I always wondered just were the canal was in Hong Kong. Everyone is talking about it but its nowhere to be found. There is a little area with the boat and the dealer selling weapon mods and they expect you to believe that is the canal. Well I finally found the canal when I played the PC version, it was a shock! I got lost! ha ha.

The one true thing I miss in the PC version is the weapon modding interface the PS2 had. It made weapon modding more involving, Giving you the feeling of "Yeah, that's MY weapon". It is hard to expain. Yeah you can just look at the stats on PC version, but the interface on PS2 displayed each bit of upgrading progress you have made and reminded you every time you opened up the sub-menu. Then you could also look at the stats aswell if you wanted to.

All in all It's a great port but it should have had all the same gameplay mechanics the PC version has. It could have easily been done. But those loading times are just horrible! back then they were acceptable though. But Now it's PC all the way, Just miss the lots of little niggles in level design and wep mod interface from the PS2.

Also im guessing that DX:the conspiracy running on the emulator has alot faster load times?

EDIT: Also the PS2 version is missing the versalife entrance area soundtracks. What a shame.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

But now it seems that Conspiracy is coming to PS3, maybe they will fix some things (notably graphics and loading times). It might be awesome if they'll upgrade it enough.
:smile:
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

I rather have a HD remake for the PC.

Not sure how feasible it is to update UE1 to UE3... but that's not my concern xD
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...