Emulating PS2 Deus Ex - The Conspiracy

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

fantsu
UNATCO

Re: Emulating PS2 Deus Ex - The Conspiracy

Post by fantsu »

I promised you some mole people, but went so picture heavy on the brooklyn station, that it will be next time.
The brooklyn station, what to say. This place is awesome. Much better than on PC. Ten times larger also. Tons of places to investigate. Lots of walking, many tunnels. Ventilation shafts. Rooms. Toilets. Everything. The layout of this place is nothing like on PC. The objectives remain the same, but executing those will take much more time.
The first tunnel is where the pimp lives. This place is huge! On to my right is the collapsed tunnel.
These stairs lead to the second floor. Still looks little bit like on PC. There is actually two stairs, just like on PC.
This place is strange. Electricity flows over there, but on the right you can see shaft that takes you past. You'll get trapped behind locked doors 'thou. Just blow them up or lockpick 'em.
There is three of these rooms around the station. Every one of 'em have some items for you. These werent on PC at all.
Did PC have different brand of fortys? I don't remember but have spotted 3 different brands so far.
Yet another intersection. Never went straight there, I went to the right. It takes you to the second part of the station.
Look at all these signs, cool. Few more intersections pictures here.

This second part is huge! El Rey, the leader of Rooks live here. You can also find the bum with the code here.
Doors and rooms everywhere. Brooklyn Station is so small on PC. THis starts to feel like station now.
El Reys room looks familiar enough:

One more metro tunnel. This one is collapsed, and there is these metro carts. The bums live inside these. Cool.
picture from inside the metro train.
:D
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

nerdenstein wrote:
The death animations are lot better though aren't they?
I mean in the PC version you could barely even called it an "animation".
Animations were slightly improved, slightly.
It doesn't take very much to improve on the Deus Ex PC death animations.
I can cunningly represent the full animation in ascii art like this:

|
*bam*
_

And it doesn't exactly help afterwords that bodies turn into insta-Rigor mortis straight slabs of wood. Oh Deus Ex how I love thee but how very dated you are sometimes. :)

Thanks for the pictures fantsu. Makes me want to bust out my PS2 and explore it some more for myself.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

Played through the mole people settlement, and the private airport until the 747.
The settlement layout was little bit different, but almost the same. Nothing special there.

The part after the settlement has one route that PC doesn't. Oh how much this would have helped playing Deus Ex through without items. On PC you must kill this guy to get the key, on PS2 there is this door on the side and you can take it too.

...BUT you must go through this extra radioactive area. Again the "environmental training" proves to be more useful on PS2 version.

I can't remember this bridge exactly from PC, does it have this button to exend the bridge? Does the screen shake and the other parts of the bridge collapse after a while you have landed on them, so you must be fast?

The doors to the private airfield used to have windows on PC, on PS2 they are solid.
The first ambrosia is on different spot on PS2, also forget about the camera, so all the guards went nuts. This place is an graveyard now :D Very sneaky JC, great stealth.

Again the swimming route to the airfield is longer, so aqualung proves to be useful :D Very useful.
The La Guardia is divided in 3 parts on PS2, also there is more enemies and bots. On PC there was, what? 4 bots? On PS2 there was seven or eight bots, tough. Run out of my GEP-gun missiles.
Also on PS2 there is 5 guard towers, on PC there was only 4? Am I right? My memory fails me.

There is two doors to the 747 hangar, but this one doesn't work... later we see, if we can get back here from other side.

Do you remember these sewer entrances on PC? Right! There isn't sewer entrances on PC at all. There is 3 routes to go down ground.
So, what is in sewers? You guess it, more swimming, more radioactive areas. Again "environmental training" and swimming proves useful. My trained level in swimming AND aqualung isn't enough anymore, those underwater tunnels are long, but you can skip all those security bots this way. I like it.
One of the two radioactive rooms here:

I'm close to Jebedevs jet, and get this message:
Private HANGER?!?
So only Lebedev can put his jacket on this hanger? So be it. Until next time.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

You're low on Bioelectric energy JC.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Once Again, Nice work. :mrgreen:
Wow the PS2 has more areas that I thought.
More that the PC :o
I'm Surprised and Intrigued! :mrgreen:
I can't remember this bridge exactly from PC, does it have this button to exend the bridge? Does the screen shake and the other parts of the bridge collapse after a while you have landed on them, so you must be fast?
Yeah the bridge (Complete with shaking and breaking and such) is the PC version. :smile:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Now, if we could only port these levels over to Deus Ex on the PC, fix a few things up and make them bigger, add HDTP and New Vision (Once released) to the mix and probably add shifter to it and you've balanced Deus Ex with awesome
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Christ, I dunno man. It being different from the PC version is interesting, and it being larger is obviously cool, but that is some amazingly blocky level geometry <_<
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

That blocky level design is true. PS2 has also some horrible (in french accent: horriblé! horriblé!) places that I would never want on PC. Long labyrith like corridors and such. ;)
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I just pulled out mah copy of the PS2 version and I really don't like this version of Liberty Island.
Its got some welcome additions (Unatco Yard/Toll booth area) But other that that its pretty lame.

Also, this could just be the images or something, But in the images, the Textures look smoother/better than on my game? :-s
The HUD for example.

Could this also be something to do with the Emulator??
When i've used a PS1 emulator in the past, Its made alot of the Textures in the game Smoother?
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

Most Emulators let you tweak rendering settings etc. So yeah it's probably that.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

Yeah, I have some smoothing effects on my emu.
And yes, liberty island is much better on PC.
:mrgreen:
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

Time to continue.
The hangar (or hanger) is smaller than on PC. Not a big thing.
...and there is the second exit, AND IT WORKS! Nice! That is thing I like:

The plane is the same, so thats it!
:mrgreen:
I can show those people who aren't familiar with PS2 version, how the inventory and such work.
Skills screen looks like this, nothing special here. The bug related to the pistol skill is fixed.
The augmentation screen is like this, few things have been changed. First of all you don't need medbot to install augs (like I told you before), second is that you cant even carry canisters you don't need (another typo found also, "cannisters"). :D

Goals/Notes/Images screen, just for fun:

And time for big change, the inventory. You can carry as much items as you want, see? Lots of stuff. I have 3 armors right now.. :D I kinda like this, AND hate it. First of all, you can carry too much stuff. The nice thing is that Your "environmental training" skills is again better, the items for that doesn't take any space, so I'm full of armors, tech-goggles, camos, rebreathers and envi-suits. There is 9 slots. First for basic items, second for multitools and lockpics. Third for biocells and medpacks. Fourth is for grenades and LAM's. 5th for melee weapons (yes you can carry all of these also!). 6th through 9th are for weapons. You can always carry 4 weapons of your choice. I don't like this system. Because all the weapons take same amount of room, pistol is totally useless. Just take the rifle or shotgun. Good thing in this is that you want actually use flamethrower and plasmagun, because they don't take all of the room in your inventory.
Jcelios
MJ12

Post by Jcelios »

Is that master rifle skill I see? Have you been cheating. :P
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

Just want to make things easy. :D
Playing my PC run ATM on realistic with only combat knife and throwing knives. :lol: :lol:
On this run i took computer, demolitions and rifle at the beginning. Because there isn't that pistol bug, I'm allwed for more experience that way. Just got my second upgrade to the rifles, so yeah, I'm master now. :D
Been hunting for experience, entered everywhere i can get (even 20 points or so on) some. I have been missing only 50 points so far.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

Time to our second visit in Hell's Kitchen. Few things have changed.
First of all, a 3rd entrance to smugglers (not so well hidden) hideout is now opened.
You didn't see this on PC, did you?
There is this route through a garage now. Traps also. I like it.

On NSF HQ, there is one extra route on PS2 also, through the buildings to behind of the HQ.

HQ itself is quite similar to PC version, but again some things have changed their position.

The basement isn't anything like on PC, anything.

There is this vault also in the basement.

Not much to say here, this place is so simple.