Films, Novels, and Other Games as Possible DX1 Mods

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Brad Denton
Thug

Films, Novels, and Other Games as Possible DX1 Mods

Post by Brad Denton »

Films, Novels, and Other Games Which Might Make Good Mods for DX1

I've been pondering what other ideas would make for a good, or at least an interesting, DX1 mod, and so I turned to notable sci-fi books and films, as well as games featuring elements similar to DX1. Here's what I've come up with:

Neuromancer
The Stars My Destination
Soylent Green
Blade Runner
The Lawnmower Man
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
Dune
The Matrix
Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man
A Clockwork Orange
Batman
Mystery Science Theater 3000
Unreal 1 universe
System Shock 2
Trilby: The Art of Theft and the Chzo Mythos Series
Kingpin: Life of Crime
SiN
Daikatana (reimagined)
Wing Commander
Bioshock
Space Rogue
Bad Blood
Crusader
CyberMage
Metal Gear
Prophet
NSF

Re: Films, Novels, and Other Games as Possible DX1 Mods

Post by Prophet »

A few things missing, in my opinion...

Iron Man
Army of TWO
Crysis
Tomb Raider

There are main names, not specifically those... I'm not going to put 1 2 3 etc. on...
THE PROPHET
Suvlaco
NSF

Post by Suvlaco »

Some of those in the original post would work, some wouldn't I think. All would be huge undertakings though...
Prophet wrote:A few things missing, in my opinion...

Iron Man
Army of TWO
Crysis
Tomb Raider

There are main names, not specifically those... I'm not going to put 1 2 3 etc. on...
I have no idea how Iron Man, Crysis or Tomb Raider would benefit or be worthwhile turning in to a DX1 mod... Can't comment on Army of Two as never played it or tried it.
Brad Denton
Thug

Post by Brad Denton »

Suvlaco wrote:Some of those in the original post would work, some wouldn't I think. All would be huge undertakings though...
Prophet wrote:A few things missing, in my opinion...

Iron Man
Army of TWO
Crysis
Tomb Raider

I have no idea how Iron Man, Crysis or Tomb Raider would benefit or be worthwhile turning in to a DX1 mod... Can't comment on Army of Two as never played it or tried it.
Yeah, I know. The MST3K suggestion maybe way off for a DX1 mod. I just thought it would be awesome to interact with the bad movies and the characters DX1 style, and have multiple choices for exploration of the cheap satellite set, character interaction, and movie cracks.

As for Iron Man being turned into a DX mod, I actually considered adapting comic book into a first person RPG, which involves lots of difficult and morally ambiguous choices mixed with the pulp Marvel sci-fi and Iron Man action. I mean, this comic began with the Vietnam War, and is full of crazy Cold War stuff. So since Marvel is known for being the haven for crazy comic book twists, what if the Marvel craziness was pushed further by including moral ambiguities and grays into the Iron Man universe.

That, and first time ever DX1 flight simulation.
DDentonas
UNATCO

Post by DDentonas »

For more info on how Iron Man fits in the DX universe read my fan fic (Shameless plug http://ddentonas.deviantart.com/art/JC- ... -357042405 or in fandiction net http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9094563/1/J ... s-Iron-Man)

That said how could you make a Deus Ex game with Iron Man as the protagonist? The man is one of the most powerful people in his universe. He is a member of the illuminati. A genius who makes technology for the next century.

You could have him not join/create the illuminati and have him fight them instead. I have a very interesting storyline planned for this scenario (coming soon in my fanfic). If you don't want it to be inside the DX universe, you could add an alien threat like xfiles or the DX mod Zodiac, where the aliens work behind the curtains. IM could go on missions, uncovered conspiracies and work to undo the damage from the aliens.

Gameplay wise, the IM suit is perfect excuse to have powers like augmentations. You still have aug slots and you could either choose ballistic protection or invisibility. Extra strength or a missile compartment in the arms. Stronger repulsors or shielding.

Flying offers gameplay opportunities and could make the levels even less linear!
YK: And you... you... are a bad actress.
(unknown sound)
MC: And you have one less finger...
Babeuf97
Thug

Post by Babeuf97 »

Watchmen ?
Brad Denton
Thug

Post by Brad Denton »

Babeuf97 wrote:Watchmen ?
I forgot Watchmen. I could imagine it as a mod for Fallout 1 or 2, for some reason.
Babeuf97
Thug

Post by Babeuf97 »

I agree this may work as well, but Deus Ex's semi-linear approach would fit Watchmen's storyline better imo.
On an unrelated note, what about Minority report, Terminator, Mad Max, Waterworld ?
Marcelo
NSF

Post by Marcelo »

When thinking about a mod suitable for DX these are the ideas that come to my mind:

1. Robocop: Obvious Reasons
2. Big Trouble in Little China: The idea of a big underground secret city below Chinatown in New York seems very fitting.
3. Blade runner: Already Mentioned
4. C.O.P.S: Not the reality show, the 80's cartoons.
5. C.S.I.: With a futuristic twist similar to the DX universe. Different investigative missions in NY. (Map divided in parts united by the subway).
6. A prequel of DX with Paul in it. :P
Zireael
NSF

Post by Zireael »

Robocop and Blade Runner sound like brilliant idea.

I'll add one more: DX HR. Seriously. I imagine that we could add new augs/weapons pretty easily. What about the radar/map thingy?