BioMod - A new gameplay mod building on Shifter

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

JC_Helios
X-51

Re: BioMod - A new gameplay mod building on Shifter

Post by JC_Helios »

Jaedar wrote: Modern style health regeneration
:shock: :evil:
You do know that "regeneration" is referring to the aug right? :P
(ie: you turn on regeneration, get into a firefight, and it doesn't actually start healing until you stop getting pummeled.)
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

JC_Helios wrote:
(ie: you turn on regeneration, get into a firefight, and it doesn't actually start healing until you stop getting pummeled.)
Yeah, I know. I still don't like it. Plus I assume its a passive ability(It should be, in that state) like the energy recirculator in TNM (iirc).

The Reg aug needs balancing imo, but it needs it in the form of a lower effect(40HP every 2 seconds or so is insane when your max is '100') and a higher cost.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Jaedar wrote:
JC_Helios wrote:
Yeah, I know. I still don't like it. Plus I assume its a passive ability(It should be, in that state) like the energy recirculator in TNM (iirc).

The Reg aug needs balancing imo, but it needs it in the form of a lower effect(40HP every 2 seconds or so is insane when your max is '100') and a higher cost.
According to the readme the cost is:
300 Units/Minute while healing
But, yeah I think it still heals the same amount.
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

Well, now you'll never need medi-packs every again..Anyways, I can't wait to try out your game, it looks great!
boct1584
Thug

Post by boct1584 »

Doing a Realistic playthough with BioMod b8 at the moment. It would appear that your accuracy with a scoped weapon does not improve at all unless you are actually looking through the scope, and in fact it will reset if you zoom out. I would guess this is a side effect of your disabling the crosshairs when a scoped weapon is not using the scope. I don't know if you intended it to work like that, but it's a huge pain the butt at low weapon skills; I don't know about others, but with the amount of scope shake (Trained Pistols, Trained Rifles), I have an extremely hard time keeping the scope focused on someone, and I can't zoom out to reacquire them because that'll just reset it and I'll be back to square one.
Lork
NSF

Post by Lork »

Jaedar wrote:I wonder if Mr. Lork still visits this thread.
Yeah, I took a break from modding for a couple months, and even when I started thinking about coming back, people here didn't really seem that interested, so I haven't looked at it for quite a while. Sorry about that.
Jaedar wrote:
JC_Helios wrote:

Keep in mind that there's more than one way to achieve balance, and that balancing isn't my only goal here. Aside from making regen significantly less overpowered, I'm keeping with the theme of the rest of the mod, that of making the augs more user friendly and convenient. I'm also trying to inject some of the sensibilities of modern shooters into the game, making the combat more dynamic and tactical. Lastly, but not least, I'm giving medkits a purpose; if you absolutely must have healing right this instant, medkits are now the only way to get it.
boct1584 wrote:Doing a Realistic playthough with BioMod b8 at the moment. It would appear that your accuracy with a scoped weapon does not improve at all unless you are actually looking through the scope, and in fact it will reset if you zoom out. I would guess this is a side effect of your disabling the crosshairs when a scoped weapon is not using the scope. I don't know if you intended it to work like that, but it's a huge pain the butt at low weapon skills; I don't know about others, but with the amount of scope shake (Trained Pistols, Trained Rifles), I have an extremely hard time keeping the scope focused on someone, and I can't zoom out to reacquire them because that'll just reset it and I'll be back to square one.
That change was intentional, and to a certain extent what you described is what I was going for. Rather than the overpowered jack of all trades weapon that the sniper rifle was in the original game, I want it to only be useful for sniping (ie. finding a position, digging in and shooting over long distances), and then only if you invest points in it. Having said that, Resetting the accuracy every time you zoom/unzoom may have been a little overboard, and I'm not averse to changing it back if multiple people find it annoying.
boct1584
Thug

Post by boct1584 »

From a real-world perspective, I don't think it makes sense; just because your weapon has a scope on it doesn't mean you can't shoot accurately from the hip.

Additionally, consider the Precision Rifle. Its' higher firing rate and slightly lower damage were meant to make it more useful in a frontal-assault situation; with your changes, it goes back to only being useful for sniping.

Here's an idea on a compromise: Allow accuracy to improve as normal for vanilla DX and Shifter, but just don't draw the crosshairs, so you can't tell how your accuracy is unless you've got a laser on the weapon. Don't know if that's feasible, just making the suggestion.

Also, I'm much further along now (I was in the Battery Park Subway during Mission 2 during that last post, at the first Ocean Lab visit now) and I really like what you did with the augmentations. On the whole, they're significantly more useful.
boct1584
Thug

Post by boct1584 »

Sorry for the double-post, but I had a couple of General Protection Fault crashes while playing earlier today.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/5816 ... 08ocea.png - Crash at the MJ12 Facility (SoCal Seawall)
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/9877 ... 08miss.png - Crash at the Missile Silo

In addition to the two General Protection Fault crashes, I had the following problem at the Missile Silo. I started from the top floor (6) and worked my way down, killing everything. After taking out Howard Strong, I attempted to head up the cherry picker to search his body, but the ledge vaulting system vaulted me over the railing and down into the water at the bottom. I used the Fly cheat to get back up, searched his body, went back to the elevator, hit the button for Floor 6, and Deus Ex spontaneously closed with no error message.

Lastly, there are some buttons that get dragged out of position on elevators when the elevator moves. The ones I've noticed it on are the elevator up to Maggie Chow's apartment and the one in the Missile Silo proper.
dains
Thug

Post by dains »

First off - awesome mod! I love what you've done with it and can't consider playing without it anymore. Hope you're still up for working on it!

Second - ok here's what's wrong with it. (Come on, you knew it was coming, right?)

Autosave crashy - not every time, but many times if I'm running along, run through a zone, and don't immediately stop and let it autosave, DX will crash right there. However, the autosave works and the game can be loaded from it. So, running while Autosaving is bad.

Ledge climb - often it seems that when you try to go down into a sewer, you get a bit of the ledge pullup thing going and can't get down into the tunnel - it kind of pops you back up when you hit the edge of the hatch. You can get by it, but it's a pain when you're getting shot up. Also, it doesn't work for thigh-high stuff, which would be great - there's never been any reason for not letting the character get over on a 2.5 foot high without finding a small metal crate to stand on, and your ledge grab mod can fix that break in immersiveness right up.

Scope crosshair removal - I understand your concern about railgunning, but removing the crosshairs because it is too easy for min-maxing people isn't an answer that everyone should have to work with. I put a scope on the pistol because the UNATCO guy that sold me my first scope said to. Since my skill with it is "trained" and I'm at the start of the game, it's a real pain to not have the crosshairs now. Same for the pistol crossbow too. So please consider making that only apply to rifles?

Thanks for putting the work in to make this mod happen, and again - awesome job.
miguel
UNATCO

Post by miguel »

This mod is incredible and i love it too. The only thing y would like you to upgrade is the climb ability. give the player the opportunity to climb higer walls just like in real life someone could extend the arms and grab the ledge(only if a weapon is not selected) About the arms; dont worry, we have imagination.
Rasputin
Mole Person

Post by Rasputin »

currently im playing this mod on unrealistic difficulty, and the body armor isnt working for me at all (due to explosive gunfire). shifter 1.8.4 already corrected this issue. please follow :)
dains
Thug

Post by dains »

Good news everyone! The Revision mod is just about fully compatible with Biomod/Shifter. Athletics is renamed back to Swimming but Biomod's Athletics still works, including the jump-up feature.

Just wanted to throw that in this thread for anyone interested.
dains
Thug

Post by dains »

In case Lork ever stops by and is still interested in tuning Biomod, I've found some issues with jump-up not working - generally on trailers, but also other less-than-chest-high items like midsize crates. Sometimes it works great, even on stuff that's higher than your chest, and sometimes not so great.

If you are still working on it, post here and I'll record some locations where it doesn't work.
Rasputin
Mole Person

Post by Rasputin »

Rasputin wrote:currently im playing this mod on unrealistic difficulty, and the body armor isnt working for me at all (due to explosive gunfire). shifter 1.8.4 already corrected this issue. please follow :)
Although Biomod 1.0 is based on Shifter 1.8.4, it didnt fix the body armor issue (still doesnt work against explosive gunfire on unrealistic difficulty), making the armor worthless.
Seems like the creator of this mod isnt working on it anymore, can somebody of u guys with coding skill try to fix it?
CrispSellar
Mole Person

Post by CrispSellar »

Anyone else notice that it kind of breaks the ability to continuously converse with Paul Denton? I assume it's because it edits what weapon he has at the beginning of the game, but everytime I try to press the "action" command on him, he says nothing.