Deus Ex 3 - I'll just leave this here

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

VectorM
MJ12

Re: Deus Ex 3 - I'll just leave this here

Post by VectorM »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:
By Mr_Cyberpunk's brilliant logic, women who dress "slutty" are all asking for rape.
Grasping at straws, regardless its not like that at all and I would never in a million years support the idea of rape. And it really shows the class of you as a person to actually play that card just to get out of actually having to write a proper argument. It is a blatant fallacy (please for the love of god read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man) and you're just avoiding actually arguing the issue.. just as you have throughout this whole thread this entire time.
Only that i didn't actually claim that you support rape in any way, nor do i believe that you do. I was giving the extreme example of what your logic leads to if applied consistently, so that you might realize why victim blaming is just plain WRONG.
It is a blatant fallacy
So is victim blaming, something that you are STILL DOING!
To anyone who is considering using rape in a conversation not about rape: fuck off.
Can we use murder in conversations not about murder? Can i say "Invisible War KILLED the franchise"? Are you going to tell me how we are normalizing murder :roll: ?
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

VectorM wrote:Can we use murder in conversations not about murder? Can i say "Invisible War KILLED the franchise"? Are you going to tell me how we are normalizing murder :roll: ?
Need we really discuss this further? Need I bring up that lame mugging comparison where the cops treat some guy that was just mugged like they would a rape victim? Need I remind you that every time there's a murder case there's not at least a few people that say: "Oh his girlfriend was probably out of town, and he got drunk, had a wild night, and then told that guy to kill him. Now his girlfriend found out and he's crying murder because he doesn't want to admit that he's suicidal." Need I ?

No, what we need to do is DANCE!
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

VectorM wrote:
To anyone who is considering using rape in a conversation not about rape: fuck off.
Can we use murder in conversations not about murder? Can i say "Invisible War KILLED the franchise"? Are you going to tell me how we are normalizing murder :roll: ?
Do you really want to get into this? Because I have to say, I don't.

A long discussion of rape culture is not something that I really want to have. I'd also rather not parse the differences between being killed and being raped in any kind of detail. I'd prefer to avoid getting into the difference in how rape and attempted rape victims are treated as opposed to murder and attempted murder victims (or why it is that when someone is a victim of both people seem to default to the worse treatment.)

This is a fucking game thread as far as I know, we shouldn't have to be having this conversation. Why exactly do you feel the need to argue this point? Rape is a pretty narrowly defined term which means that it doesn't apply in the absence of sexual violence anyway. What's the worst that could happen if people stopped using it where it didn't apply? Their language ends up more precise? Oh the motherfracking horror.

This isn't the answer to your question that I should give because it doesn't address the myriad reasons why one shouldn't, for example, use the term rape where you've used the term "killed". It doesn't address the moral concerns, but since those moral concerns are built on a foundation of unnecessary undeserved suffering it makes my stomach turn to think of them, so I'd rather not go there. So today you get the cheap answer, the easy out as it were:

To say that a franchise was killed is a fairly straightforward almost literal statement. It was alive, then it was dead, something did that to it, the word for the verb for that is to kill.

To say that a franchise was raped is not the same. It doesn't apply. It can't apply. The meaning of the word rape doesn't allow it to apply.

Even if all else were equal, and it isn't, the use of rape would still be inappropriate where the use of the word kill is not.

-

If you really want to get into depth about why I'm saying that it is genuinely harmful to use the term rape in a situation like this I'll see if I can look up one of the many things other people have written on the topic. That should have two benefits. The first is that it would mean that the bulk of the writing would be off-site (all that would be needed here would be a link) which means this wouldn't be derailing the conversation here anymore. Second it would save me the trouble of writing more on a topic that I find quite literally sickening.

-

[Added:]
JC_Helios, thank you.
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

Doubleleaf posted a DX:HR piece of art on her deviantart! I vomit rainbows of happiness when I see it.
http://doubleleaf.deviantart.com/#/d3re7ql
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Jaedar wrote:
Dragon wrote:
justanotherfan wrote:
Jonas wrote:No offense to any of you but this entire thread is the most asinine waste of time and thought in recent memory
Oh yeah, we should all be playing TNM instead ;-)
That would be actually a very good thing to do :D
Sycophants, all of ye!
lol, I've gotta find the sarcasm emoticon here. I'm sure Jonas feels the love either way.

The whole victim-blaming argument looks like a reductio one too, "If victims should be blamed...", with a little reductio ad nauseam in as well. With the converse extreme "All victims are blameless", we can see the argument won't go far. "Blaming the victim" has a specific application, and a leaked demo is a non-issue. I'm sure criminologists, victimologists, and sociologists could debate the ideas further, but does this demo leak lawsuit matter to anyone here?
--
I'm not really into anime, but that's a good alt-art version of Jenson. I'm assuming he doesn't look like that in the comicbook or sunday morning cartoon version.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Chris, all he did was use a strawman to justify another strawman. I like the explanation that you gave though about the issues of rape and murder, but I feel you're wasting your time even trying to show him where he's gone wrong.. its obviously he doesn't get it.

@VectorM
The saying that Invisible War Killed Deus Ex is a blatant exaggeration, whilst a fallacy its not the same as the one you've used- yes its a weak argument but the one you're putting forward is much weaker and will continue to get weaker so long as you keep repeating the same fallacy over and over. No one can see the point you're even putting forward.. none of what you are saying is making sense.

Again.. you've failed to even argue the arguments put forward to you.. rather deviated because its pretty clear you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and would prefer to just demonize those who oppose you like a common politician. Everything you have said is inappropriate and offensive.

EDIT: you know what I wrote a lot about the issue with piracy, EULA, NDAs ect.. but I'm sick of this.. VectorM isn't even going to acknowledge the arguments I make anyway.. I'm wasting my time. I copied it to notepad in the event I can bother actually giving a crap about this. No point in reasoning with the unreasonable. Consider this a rage quit because I can't be fucked wasting anymore time on this.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Dragon wrote:"impressive visual effects"? What kind of "impressive visual effects"? [-(
I think you missed some of the sarcasm in my post, sir. :P
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Chris, all he did was use a strawman to justify another strawman. I like the explanation that you gave though about the issues of rape and murder, but I feel you're wasting your time even trying to show him where he's gone wrong.. its obviously he doesn't get it.
Only that there was never any Straw man. It might be useful to actually read the wiki pages you copy-paste.
yes its a weak argument but the one you're putting forward is much weaker and will continue to get weaker so long as you keep repeating the same fallacy over and over
Coming from the same person that refuses to acknowledge the fact that he engages in unapologetic victim blaming. You have some nerve.
rather deviated because its pretty clear you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and would prefer to just demonize those who oppose you like a common politician. Everything you have said is inappropriate and offensive.
Oh? And it's not offencive to claim that it's the victims fault that something bad happened to them? I would really love to see you in court, arguing that one.
know what I wrote a lot about the issue with piracy, EULA, NDAs ect.. but I'm sick of this.. VectorM isn't even going to acknowledge the arguments I make anyway.. I'm wasting my time. I copied it to notepad in the event I can bother actually giving a crap about this. No point in reasoning with the unreasonable. Consider this a rage quit because I can't be fucked wasting anymore time on this.
Oh, the sweet, sweet irony. Well, might as well quit too, since the the thread has been RAPED enough already.

At least 5 women got raped, because i said that. Also, 10 more will get raped after this, since i devalued the crime even more. The horror!
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

So anyway, who's looking forward to DX:HR? I want the wait to be over and see it for myself, for reals!
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

EER wrote:So anyway, who's looking forward to DX:HR? I want the wait to be over and see it for myself, for reals!

Absolutely. I was hoping I'd be cool about it but I want it now. :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Anyone planned their initial playthrough yet? :P
After playing the leak lethally, I think I'll do my first playthrough non-lethally. :mrgreen:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

nerdenstein wrote:Anyone planned their initial playthrough yet? :P
After playing the leak lethally, I think I'll do my first playthrough non-lethally. :mrgreen:

I'm going the middle road route. I'll try a bit of everything first off, and maybe play stealthily, then murderously in following playthroughs. :)
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I'm doing my first playthrough with Non-leathal, probably put most of my points into takedowns though as I tended to rely on them a bit too much (non-leathal weapons are difficult to find ammo for).
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

G-Flex wrote:
Dragon wrote:"impressive visual effects"? What kind of "impressive visual effects"? [-(
I think you missed some of the sarcasm in my post, sir. :P
I guess my sarcasm sense got a bit rusty. Need to clean it again it looks like. That said my sense could be rusted up even more as so far I considered the few liking it being sarcastic ;)
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

bobby 55 wrote:
nerdenstein wrote:Anyone planned their initial playthrough yet? :P

I'm going the middle road route. I'll try a bit of everything first off, and maybe play stealthily, then murderously in following playthroughs. :)
Pretty much the same for me, for my first game of basically anything i go with my gut feeling. Then for possible next playthroughs I get a theme, like 'be an evil mofo'. Is there any word on moddability yet? If none, I'll get it for xbox (because I don't really have a PC that can run it adequately) :(
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!