Deus Ex 3 - I'll just leave this here

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

justanotherfan
Illuminati

Re: Deus Ex 3 - I'll just leave this here

Post by justanotherfan »

chris the cynic wrote:I say this because I want things like this to be distinguished from the things that I do think are simply wrong...way more off topic rambling
Not TLDR, but concision please. The topic-tangential stuff was awesome. I agree DX lacks "Boss Fights". FPS character types, "Person" versus "Trooper", make developed characters seem like bosses, but I can't remember another FPS where players can win running away. If it's experimental, we can excuse difficulty evading Anna@UNATCOHQ as a bug. DX3 supposedly has "Traditional Boss Fights", like when the door closes as you walk in to meet Bowser -- a very different and unwelcome throwback.

The Gunther satellite thing is funny. I never noticed that. I'd imagine GPS works fine in a stone cathedral.

Action films usually ignore the fragility of the human body, so its annoying in a DX game, but expected. I was thinking, discrimination against DX3's lethal cyber-humans could cause civil war in reality, not just DX2's Saman holy war. Or, it explains the common powerful EMP weapons in DX1; I'd carry one.
A multidisciplinary university class could be created about how the art director is wrong about art, history, mathematics, and generally everything about the Renaissance.
That's hilarious. I like artistic creativity, but it was recognizable marketing nonsense. I don't want to generalize that DX's fans are more likely than Quake4's to know Rembrandt from Bosch, but a game from real insight in those disciplines could be a revelation. What was the math stuff again, I forgot.
--
Wasn't this game to be out sometime in August? Looking forward to everyone's reviews.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

nerdenstein wrote:Also, apparently Gunthers lines change slightly if you don't kill her but I'd need to check that...
They do.

No, I cannot forgive. No... not the killing of Agent Navarre. I will follow you. Denton, I will get you!

Is only played if you've actually killed her and:

You are a small, prowling mouse. And dumb like a mouse. You keep coming, like you forget about Agent Navarre. I remember Agent Navarre. I remember for everyone.

Becomes:

You are a small, prowling mouse. And dumb like a mouse. You keep coming, even though you know it is a trap.

Not exactly the biggest changes ever (though I could be forgetting something.) The thing is, even though they had that eventuality covered, the only way to have that come up is an exploit.

-
Wasn't this game to be out sometime in August?
Ten days.

-

What follows is long and off topic. Remember, this is about stuff the art director has said outside of the game. You have been warned.
justanotherfan wrote:What was the math stuff again, I forgot.
The big thing was a total lack of understanding of when, where, why, how and so on.

For example thinking that geometry was a creation of the Renaissance*. It is almost difficult to understand the scale on which that is wrong. I wish there were a way to explain how wrong that is as quickly as one can say the thing that is wrong.

The uncharitable way to look at it is to use absolute error. In that case it's like saying Deus Ex was released in the year 400 AD. You know, before the fall of Rome. Or you, to preserve the direction of the original error, it would be like saying Jesus showed up circa 1600 AD. The more charitable way of looking at it would be with a relative error. In which case it's like saying Hitler rose to power in 1992 AD.

Now whether we try to look at Deus Ex as a product of the late Roman Empire, or Hitler as a product of the political environment of the 1990s, we're probably going to come up with some objections. (The late Roman Empire was not known for it's video games, 1990s Germany probably wasn't very welcoming to Nazis.) These things do not exactly fit.

Pretty much the same is true the putting geometry in the Renaissance. The Renaissance wasn't exactly the most productive time for the geometry (or math in general, but it was even less productive for geometry than math as a whole.) I would argue that it laid the groundwork for later productivity, in fact math really seems to take off shortly after the Renaissance ends, but very little progress was made during it. (Also, it would still be another couple hundred years before a new geometry could be said to be created.)

The last big problem about making a mistake like that, whether it's dating Hitler to 1992 or Jesus to 1600, is that you have to completely ignore the effect the misdated thing has had on the world. It isn't just thinking that Hitler came into power in 1992, it is thinking that 1992, as it is known to us, came into existence without World War II. That idea, 1992 without WWII happening first, should set off some kind of alarm bell in your mind saying, "This is not the world I live in." The same would go for a year 1600 in which Christianity had never come into being. Math is obviously a somewhat more obscure subject for most people, so the bells might not ring, but it's the same kind of error.

Which is actually part of why a "The art director is an idiot" course would have the potential to be a really interesting course. It isn't enough to say, "He's wrong about when A was developed by B centuries," or, "He's wrong about the traditional color palette in ways X, Y, and Z," to truly grasp the degree to which he is wrong you'd have to understand the significance of the things he is wrong about. So you won't just have, "X happened on Y date," but instead, "X matters for Y reasons without which the word as you know it would not exist." That tends to make for a better class than rote memorization. Forming a web of connections for the things learned is generally better practice than rote.

Anyway that's the sort of thing he got wrong when it came to the history of math. Things that are as easy to say as, "Julius Caesar was the allied commander on D-Day," but require much more effort to explain the myriad ways in which they are wrong.

-

I've actually noticed that some of the interviews with him appear to be disappearing off the face of the internet, thus sparing future generations. Perhaps one day someone will ask what things he's said that pissed me off, and I'll find that they've all been mercifully deleted.

-

*There is, bizarrely, a pseudo scientific theory based on claiming this kind of error is not an error at all. I don't know when it dates the creation geometry (it could actually be several centuries more accurate than JB in that regard) or anything else JB erroneously claims took place in the Renaissance, but what I do know is that it applies that kind of error to everything. All of recorded human is squeezed into the period from 800 AD to today with most of it being crammed between 1000 AD and 1500 AD.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

chris the cynic wrote:For example thinking that geometry was a creation of the Renaissance*
I think I just heard Euclid fart. I thought everyone had heard at least of the Pythagorean theorem. I have a hypothesis (and can't be the first), that named discoveries are firsts in recorded history. If only prehistoric people had left geometric monoliths around, like huge pyramids (eg. Djoser's). Architecture improved in the renaissance (I'm thinking Cathedrals here), but geometry isn't, no. Maybe dude thought "Science" (which children's textbooks say is Renaissance) and said "Geometry", the way people say "Arithmetics" when they mean "Mathematics".

Randomizing centuries only adds to the delightful complexity of temporal relationships in Deus Ex's universe. Forget a continuity bible; they'll need an encyclopedia.
---
I remember watching a documentary on the pyramids in the 90's...high production values, and a cool exploration, but they were saying the pyramids were placed in the incorrect centuries. Maybe that was part of the crazy time-shifting theory. Could have been Great Pyramid:Gateway to the Stars, but I know The Pyramid Code is a hilarious bunch of BS. I'd love a good documentary exploring the pyramids. Now this is off-topic.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

justanotherfan wrote:I remember watching a documentary on the pyramids in the 90's...high production values, and a cool exploration, but they were saying the pyramids were placed in the incorrect centuries. Maybe that was part of the crazy time-shifting theory. Could have been Great Pyramid:Gateway to the Stars, but I know The Pyramid Code is a hilarious bunch of BS. I'd love a good documentary exploring the pyramids. Now this is off-topic.
Stargate?
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

This is my main issue with HR: it's all trying to be deep and complex and intelligent, trying very very hard, and it just doesn't work. The symbolism is too obvious, there's this geometry/renaissance error and the big inconsistencies about mechs.* What surprises me is that so many people either fall for it or simply ignore it. I am literally too annoyed by how obviously they tried to make HR intelligent, and how badly they failed, to enjoy the gameplay side of HR (which doesn't appeal that much to me either; I seem to be one of the few PC gamers who isn't interested in "choices and consequence" just for the sake of it, I like believable, complex gameworlds where choice and consequence simply enhance the experience of that gameworld, and make the gameplay more elaborate.)

This game could've been so awesome (by making an interesting and believable fictional world, to begin with), without ruining it for others. I guess such a game would be very difficult to advertise though.

*Like the woman at the desk in the Sarif industries building: actually being frightened of you, with the sleek augs which don't even look like augs (AJ looks very normal really).
Augs are dangerous and I understand that people wouldn't want mechs just walking around on the street, like they wouldn't want anybody just walking around with guns. AJ is rather a security officer, and not many people mind police officers or guards wearing guns. There is no real reason for her to be startled and frightened. There is an obvious tension between the theme of HR (about whether mechs are okay or dangerous and inhuman) and its visual style, which is sleek and beautiful.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Xesum wrote:
justanotherfan wrote:I remember watching a documentary on the pyramids in the 90's...high production values, and a cool exploration, but they were saying the pyramids were placed in the incorrect centuries. Maybe that was part of the crazy time-shifting theory. Could have been Great Pyramid:Gateway to the Stars, but I know The Pyramid Code is a hilarious bunch of BS. I'd love a good documentary exploring the pyramids. Now this is off-topic.
Stargate?
Stargate's a documentary? :p
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Look at all these PC exclusive features the game will have!

DX11
Improved Motion Blur
Tessellation on characters
Depth of Field
Adjustable FOV
Disabling the reticle
Eyefinity support

Personally I was hoping for "Interface designed for mouse and keyboard" but it seems we can't have everything.
source
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Maybe for once we're dealing with a studio that doesn't consider proper interface design an "extra feature". Oh no wait, that wouldn't work as another chance to slam Eidos Montreal, which is all you're really looking for. Silly me <_<
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:Maybe for once we're dealing with a studio that doesn't consider proper interface design an "extra feature". Oh no wait, that wouldn't work as another chance to slam Eidos Montreal, which is all you're really looking for. Silly me <_<
Oh no, the interface design is "proper" just not proper for a Mouse and Keyboard. They hide it well, even when you play: but perceptive players like myself can see through their cunning illusions.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I felt that there was nothing wrong with the interface in the leak.

It suited mouse and keyboard just fine.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It's because you're not perceptive enough, Xesum. Sadly you and I will always be inferior to Jaedar, we'll just have to find a way to live with that.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

The date's finally up on Steam: "This game will unlock in 7 days, 16 hours". By pre ordering months ago I managed to save nearly $30 (Aussie). \o/
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

One more week, I wonder if I will buy it directly at full price or wait for someone to get bored with it and buy it on eBay...
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

EER wrote:One more week, I wonder if I will buy it directly at full price or wait for someone to get bored with it and buy it on eBay...
Just a word of caution (if you don't already know that is :) ). They've got a regional lock thingy implemented apparently. I'm not up with how that'd work in your part of the world.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

What? Oh come on... first steam-forced now region-locked? What bad stuff they come up with next? Only one-time installation allowed?
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others