Deus Ex 3 - I'll just leave this here

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

justanotherfan
Illuminati

Re: Deus Ex 3 - I'll just leave this here

Post by justanotherfan »

Jaedar wrote:Pretty sure the license you buy is for the specific copy of the game, not any one copy. And making backups is often expressivly forbidden under the EULA(the case of whether or not the EULA is legally binding is a whole other topic though). Personally I think all laws regarding software could use some rethinking
Dunno, I couldn't find a mention of licencing the specific copy of the game. Since there's no ownership, and digital copies are inherently exact, a licence to play a game can mean just that, like licencing a trademark. I haven't heard of a country where EULAs are upheld, but that is a questionable thing. If someone proves it's illegal in any specific country, I'll just claim moral rights anyway.
Dragon wrote:Or you live in the right country. In my country "downloading" games is not illegal as long as it is for your personal use only. Only "uploading" games is illegal.
Some court cases made the situation the same here for music, but it's fairly untested. Our legal system is more lenient in copyright cases than the USA, and copyright owners are reluctant to provide test cases that could backfire. In the meantime, they focus on lobbying politicians and providing potential legislation.
---

I read the review. It was hard to read, more about the reviewer than the game. It sounded like it could be fair. Based on the criticisms, if people want and manage to mod the game, maybe it could turn out well. Missing textures could be filled in, and bad decisions omitted -- a more expansive and intricate modern Deus Ex engine&maps, with the vomit cleaned up.

Not sure about the ending. If I was writing the story, there'd be a big blowup including Jensen that hits the news. The public backlash outlaws modifications, excepting for the highest authorities (eg. national defense). To do that though, the developers would have had to contrast how Jordan O'Shea and Jojo Fine were modified.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

, I hope it culminates into the formation of UNATCO and the creation of Icarus or something like that. Icarus is kind of a mystery. After all, merging with Icarus was Bob Page's master plan.
Actually Unatco in some form I think exists within the game from the start, its just not called that, Sarif is providing technology to an organisation that we can safely assume will become Unatco (as the Unatco music plays when its meantioned for the first time by Mr.Sarif himself). Unatco's soldiers are all mechanically augmented in some form (the standard soldiers have augmented eyes) so it makes sense. I'm yet to understand how Versalife fits into any of this, my initial speculation was that Versalife is actually Sarif Industries- and that Page Industries takes them over (thus creating Versalife), but we'll see.

I'm betting that Walton Simons will be the trigger that turns it into Unatco, because Deus Ex 1 established that they just started off as a run of the mill government agency with minimal funding until he came along.

At this point in time Bob Page should be the head of MJ12 and looking to overthrow Everette. I feel like if they tie in Versalife, MJ12, and Unatco together, then they'll do a good job at explaining their origins in regards to the first game's story. So hopefully its better than some off screen fan service.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

The bastards just tortured me. While I was playing a Steam game there was an "item complete" message. I checked it out via the 'view download' app and it was a 12 megabyte update from DX: HR, and it had "play" at the top. I clicked that and got the 'when the game unlocks you'll be able to play' message. I guess it took that to realize how badly I want to be playing the game.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

(If you use a VPS proxy with an American IP, Steam will unlock the game files, then you just have to go offline and then the game will run.)
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Unatco's soldiers are all mechanically augmented in some form (the standard soldiers have augmented eyes)
Is this...ever stated, or is it total conjecture based on the fact that the texture is a bit shit?

If the latter, as far as I can tell you could equally make a claim for it being purely a way of forcing 'eye glint' just so UNATCO troops have discernable eyes (they're the only NPCs that use misctex1, which also leaves their mouths/noses entirely covered, thus the eye become more important as a focal element). Or indeed, if you're using the texture argument you could (going the other way) argue that all UNATCO troops have inbuilt mech rebreathers...

I just feel that something like "oh yes, mechs are terribly badly perceived, look at the hassle poor Gunther and Anna have to put up with" doesn't really mesh with "oh and also, every fucking last one of our generic troopers has eye augs. Creepy, unsubtle eye augs." I would've at least expected SOMEONE to mention it, for instance. Also "my vision is augmented" becomes less cool as a catchphrase when they can respond with "well, yes. Like every last man on this island, then?"

I could be wrong.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I don't know if I've mentioned this but haven't any of you read 'The Icarus Effect'?

I don't wanna spoil the story but alot of what takes place in the book hints at what will probably happen in the game.
If anything, reading it made me look forward to the game more. :P
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:Unatco's soldiers are all mechanically augmented in some form (the standard soldiers have augmented eyes) so it makes sense.
Remember the eyes are flipped to normal in the PS2 version. This isn't an intentional/intended trait in the PC version, and isn't meant to be canon.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

That makes a lot of sense then. The thing was as I understood mech augs were fairly common anyway, the bartender in NYC stated she's ex-unatco ect. The story with Sarif is that they're trying to make Mech augmentation more domestic anyway, evident by the fact that a lot of characters in Deus Ex 3 are auged. I goofed with the Unatco troopers though so my mistake there, I thought it was intentional to make them look badass and oppressive lol (plus they mention that Walton Simons paid for a lot of their gear- a lot of that being the mech augs that were widespread throughout unatco at the time).

Anyway I can shut up now, the games downloaded, just have to wait for it to decrypt. Will be interesting to see how wrong I am :D.
Neveos
X-51

Post by Neveos »

I like what I've seen so far. I'm at an impasse where my roommate won't get off my effin xbox because he started Mass Effect a couple days before DX3 came out on my Xbox because his is a Japanese imported piece of shit that couldn't get past the load-up. I gotta figure out how to transfer his shit over. Oh well, mod making time.
What I do in my other free time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

As is often the case, the only thing I can contribute to this thread is some clarification on the original Deus Ex. The UNATCO trooper thing was already dealt with, so I think there are only two things to respond to.

The first is that Icarus (the AI) isn't all that mysterious. He's a modification of Daedalus. This computer isn't mine, and thus does not have Deus Ex on it (nor does it have a CD drive, otherwise I'd install off of the Deus Ex CD a few feet to my left) so I can't give you an exact quote, but Sam Carter will actually specifically say that the Icarus system is a new version of Daedalus with a few modifications. Also, based on the conversation between Bob Page and Maggie Chow, it didn't come online until pretty much around the time of the game. So that's 2052. I know the HR team is playing extremely fast and loose with the timeline, and canon, and continuity, and internal logic, and whatnot but that seems like it would be a stretch even for them.

I can't say for sure that they wouldn't somehow try to tie in the creation of Icarus, but I really wouldn't expect them to. Chronologically it would make several times more sense to assume they'd set up the birth of Sandra Renton (Born in 2033 or 2034) than to assume they'd set up the birth of Icarus. And setting up Sandra's birth would be silly.

The second thing is Bob Page. He may or may not be looking to overthrow the Illuminati at this point, there's no way to know what's going on inside his head. As far as the rest of the world is concerned though that overthrow isn't in response to anything that happened in the 2020s. It is instead a direct response to the Illuminati's response to the events of 2030. (Or rather the Illuminati's non-response.*) So there shouldn't be much in the way of disloyalty in HR. Bob Page should have the outward appearance of a loyal underling, with any plotting being done in extremely well maintained secret. Good enough that when the revolution comes almost no one (be they revolutionaries or the defenders of the establishment) realizes it had its roots that far back.

-

*They thought the position was whatever the equivalent of zugzwang is when you are allowed to pass instead of move, so they did nothing. The idea was that the US would implode and then they could take over more easily where if they tried to prop the US up that wold be too much work. The story goes that MJ12 saw the inaction as weakness rather than 11 dimensional chess strategy (the fact that the strategy failed probably didn't help either.)
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Tomorrow. I can't remember if and where I pre-ordered it. I presume I did, but can't find any record [-o<
Edit: found the record, phew.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I could use some help, I got stuck on the Hive quest (so only read this if you've made it past Shanghai and are on Montreal because its got a few spoilers.)

I managed to piss Tong off, as well as his associates, I don't have level 4 hacking so I can't hack the doors to get into the basement, I found a tunnel that leads into the basement via the sewer (and I might add I fluked this, it was by chance I found this, how the hell anyone was meant to know about it I have no idea.. because the game doesn't mention it at all) only to now discover that the tunnel is filled with gas... gas which I can't bypass because I don't have the lung augmentation either. So I'm pretty much stuck.. I can't find any other way in. And I Can't get on the roof because there's no collision detection for the roof so I just fall through it. If I Can't do anything, then the quest is broken. Seems really dodgy though that I'm now stuck just because of my augmentation choices. If anyone has any ideas that'd be great. I'd prefer to not have to cheat thanks. (unfortunately I did exploit Barret though (using the barrel + grenade trick).. my god that boss battle was the worst designed piece of shit I've played in a while, what were they thinking. And contrary to the trailers, Barret was a minor character that died anti-climatically).

Yeah I'm not really happy with this position the games put me in. It seems like they didn't take into account that this type of scenario might happen. I'm hoping though they've done it.. but it doesn't look that way.. It looks more like I'm pretty much fucked.
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

First off, that thing you did in the Berret fight is not an exploit, it's pretty much intended.

Second off, there are these devices that can unlock doors, right? Buy some?

And a reviewer talked about that mission and he mentioned that you can find the door code for it somewhere. If you have the highlighting off, you might have missed it.
Chris Rosenkreutz
NSF

Post by Chris Rosenkreutz »

Human Revolution doesn't have the charm or atmosphere of the original Deus Ex, mostly because in many respects DX:HR is better.
Mr_Cyberpunk wrote: only to now discover that the tunnel is filled with gas...
Near the gas, there is a weak wall you can blow up (or punch through) with a tap to turn off the gas behind it.

VectorM wrote:Second off, there are these devices that can unlock doors, right?
There are?
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Chris Rosenkreutz wrote:
There are?
I assume he is referring to the autohack tools.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum