Deus Ex 3 - I'll just leave this here

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Re: Deus Ex 3 - I'll just leave this here

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Fallout 3 isn't multiplayer, yet it is good.
Offtopic a bit. I won't go into it, but I completely disagree, Fallout 3 is NOT a good game. Its a mediocre game riding on the success of a much much better series of games. That's all I'll say about it. And I can't help but feel the same is going on here with Deus Ex 3. But hopefully we'll get a game that kicks the living crap out of Fallout 3. I sure hope so!
Also, those DX3 eyes aren't a case of science marching on, so don't lie about it. They're a case of going back to the 1980s concept of a cyborg, which was itself closely based on the 1960s concept of a cyborg. And the 1960s concept of a cyborg was probably a throwback to something even earlier than that. The word might have been coined in the 60s but the concept has been around far longer.
1930-1940's idea of a Cyborg

This is I think the origin of it. Fritz Lang's Metropolis, considered by many to be the first Cyberpunk sci-fi ever due to its dystopian depiction and the all too similar Cyberpunk themes (such as Capitalistic Dictatorship, Marxist Class War, Human Augmentation (the Doctor has a robotic arm) and Cyborgs.)
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

When I was thinking about the origins of the cyborgs in the popular imagination Metropolis was one of my first thoughts as well, but I then found that some would go back to 1843.

Without reading the story I can't be sure, but from the description of wikipedia it appears that the 1843 story really has a lot more in common the modern concept of cyborgs than Metropolis. When the prosthesis of the "wonderfully inventive age" in which he lives are all assembled to make the man whole he looks like a normal person, which really seems to resemble the 1960s-through-today popular idea of cyborg more than anything I remember in Metropolis. That said, I haven't watched Metropolis since high school.
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Hassat Hunter wrote:
shadowblade34 wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
shadowblade34 wrote:This guy was before JC, but he has cooler and more futuristic glasses than JC? I think this will be a good game to play, but the fact that it has no Multiplayer
would be kinda crappy,
No.
No to what? The guy has more futuristic glasses than JC, the mech aug in the trailer looks too futuristic, even JC was not that futuristic.
Probably no to "no multiplayer = crappy". What's with the emphasis on MP and raping games as a result of that these days. Can't get a decent SP game anymore?
Well, I said that the fact that it does not have MP, would be kinda crappy, not that the game itself would be. All I am saying is the now, without multiplayer games would wear out easily with the new generation of gamers.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

TNM doesn't have MP.
DX didn't... and when what it introduced in 1.112 is crap.

To me, games with crappy SP because they sacrificed for MP (which I barely play anyways) wear out easily.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

*Fails to ignore the baseless grumpiness in this thread*

Okay fuck it, I'll bite. What are these games that suffered so gravely for including MP?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote: Okay fuck it, I'll bite. What are these games that suffered so gravely for including MP?
Stalker series? I don't know, but it seems they could have managed a lot more bug fixing if they focused on SP.

For me it isn't about multiplayer=bad it's more like people who demand MP=bad.
shadowblade34 wrote:All I am saying is the now, without multiplayer games would wear out easily with the new generation of gamers.
If DX3 is the game I'm hoping it will be it will already have low appeal with the people I consider "new generation gamers".
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:For me it isn't about multiplayer=bad it's more like people who demand MP=bad.
That seems more fair.

I doubt you're right about STALKER though, I think that game is just chronically b0rked ;)

I do agree that spending resources to add MP to DX3 before release would be pointless.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Yeah, it isn't much about MP being bad, more about devs forcing MP on uncompatible games due to ignorant gamers, and the results of that stupidity (Anno 1404: Venice is a beautiful example of this). Or sequels of games that were good changing it's basics to improve it's MP-gameplay, and being pretty weaker as result (Majesty 2,

Also, I agree with Jaeder. I was pretty frustrated playing STALKER and noticing all the darn patches were focusing on MP. Hello! Broken quests, regenerating item bodies/stashes, UI issues (Journal resetting all the time for example) etc. not known?
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Well, the image that my avatar is from is probably outdated Deus Ex 3 content, guess I need a new one.

Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Ehm, it's even outdated DX2 content...
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I was thinking more cowbell.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

chris the cynic wrote:I was thinking more cowbell.
Get out of here Christopher Walken.
Angel-A
UNATCO

Post by Angel-A »

Let's go back to how DX3 looks more futuristic than DX1; what's up with that?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I dunno, how does it look more futuristic than DX1?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine