Deus Ex 3 - I'll just leave this here

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Grammatolatry
MJ12

Re: Deus Ex 3 - I'll just leave this here

Post by Grammatolatry »

Thank you! That was a definite improvement. Yup, it's version 1.1.622.0*
Last edited by Grammatolatry on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

You'll have to go through a process of disabling everything, then slowly reactivating things afterwards.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Grammatolatry wrote:I have a question for those who played it on the pc. Did your game suffer from laggy mouse?

I installed the game today on a new computer that has heaps of space and ram and whatnot, but the monitor is about 5-7 years old. When I look around in-game the screen is always half a second or so behind the mouse. I Googled it and some said to disable Vsync (although some also said enabling it fixed the problem). For me it didn't do a heck of a lot. Still laggy, so now I have to stealth it all the time 'cos I can't shoot quickly for peanuts.
Disabling V-sync didn't work for me either, I tried turning postprocessing off, but it was a fairly small improvement for a significant reduction in graphical awesomeness. Eventually I found that switching from trilinear texture filtering to a low level of anisotropic made the problem go away, and it stayed away even after I re-enabled postprocessing.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

My game won't start unless I have FXAA High for some reason.

I am finding the combat AI to be terrible. Just killed 6 Spec Ops by shooting them one by one with a silenced assault rifle as they walked around the corner. They didn't even go hostile. Cover is truly overpowered.

Kind of breaks that whole aspect of the game for me. Either I exploit the AI or the cover system and make it completely trivial, or I go without either and the game becomes pretty much impossible.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

After seeing the video, I agree with kdawg88 that the voice acting is waaaaaaaaaay over the top.

When I was in Buffalo, I went to the local Wendy's to get a burger. There was a black man behind the counter, and I could not understand what he was saying. After a couple repeats and educated guesses based on context I got my burger. The point of the anecdote being that there are in fact people who speak in extremely strange ways, albeit not exactly like this Letitia. (What is up with Batman by the way!?).

I think that if the dialog was toned down on ... the passion ... in the voice, it would be a very different experience. I'm more offended on a linguistic level than a racial one though.
Edit: The German edition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uovSCS43jKY
Last edited by EER on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Finally got past the first boss. I ended up using bobby's suggestion. And also I found an assault rifle and pumped his face full of lead.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

EER wrote:Finally got past the first boss. I ended up using bobby's suggestion. And also I found an assault rifle and pumped his face full of lead.
I had a hell of a time the first time I tried. I actually loaded a save to find some more rifle ammo, as I was mostly avoiding combat at that stage.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Dragon wrote:If one looks closely many cleaner workers are black and bums often too. But that's a problem with America not the game itself (it plays in America and America is still racist)
The moronic arrogance of post like these makes me sad. Yeah, I am sure the far more white Switzerland is completely none-racist in any way. Get your head out of your ass, already.
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

Dafuq that even mean, vector?
America isn't racist, it's some people in it that are. You can't tar the whole country with the same brush.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

VectorM wrote: The moronic arrogance of post like these makes me sad. Yeah, I am sure the far more white Switzerland is completely none-racist in any way. Get your head out of your ass, already.
The statement seems completely valid to me. It _is_ a problem of the USA, whether it's a problem in Switzerland or any other country or not. Coincidentally it's not a problem in Switzerland, though they probably have to deal with other racism related bullshit.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I watched a video of Letitia. She isn't a caricature, but the voice acting is so bad that it feels like stereotyping. The voice acting between her and Jensen made the long conversation unreal. For a moment I thought she was mocking Adam, but no. DX had a Chinese character calling JC yau hak, but Letitia is obtrusively memorable. A downtrodden-minority character is good depth, but I can imagine voiceactors walking out over the dialog.

Gaming is mainstream now, and with high budgets there shouldn't be obnoxious racism, subtle or overt. Expectations are higher. Programmer Dave can't have his buddy fake ethnic accents anymore.

Also, maybe it was just Youtube audio sync, but is the lipsyncing completely broken in-game? Other videos seem better....but more detail in random lip movements makes DX look believable
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

gamer0004 wrote:
VectorM wrote: The moronic arrogance of post like these makes me sad. Yeah, I am sure the far more white Switzerland is completely none-racist in any way. Get your head out of your ass, already.
The statement seems completely valid to me. It _is_ a problem of the USA, whether it's a problem in Switzerland or any other country or not. Coincidentally it's not a problem in Switzerland, though they probably have to deal with other racism related bullshit.
Yeah, it is a problem in the U.S. Just as much as in Switzerland. To claim otherwise shows complete ignorance. Just because you don't see it in plain site, doesn't mean it's not there.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

The Chinese people in Shanghai speak impeccable German for some reason. I find that immersion-breaking (hearing them speak Chinese to eachother, then German without accent to me). How is the English dub? Chinese accents? Real Chinese people like in DX?
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

VectorM wrote:
gamer0004 wrote:
Yeah, it is a problem in the U.S. Just as much as in Switzerland. To claim otherwise shows complete ignorance. Just because you don't see it in plain site, doesn't mean it's not there.
Have you ever visited other countries than the USA?