Deus Ex 3 - I'll just leave this here

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

justanotherfan
Illuminati

Re: Deus Ex 3 - I'll just leave this here

Post by justanotherfan »

I don't know about MP and game quality, as long as they don't intentionally make all the SP levels into really good MP stages that suck in SP.

On needing eyeglasses for a bionic eye, it's possible to have different lenses for a camera etc. Still, it doesn't seem necessary. It's why I figured it would be just to hide the eyes, or look cool. The looking cool thing is a justified thing to do I think, since they seem to have this over-enthusiasm for gadgety technology that is actually disturbing and arrogant (referencing the Icarus myth).

It'll be very poor if Jensen can outmatch Gunther. I'm still hoping that the fancy arm sword would hit Gunther like stabbing a tank with a breakable limb, and that the remote diagnosis mod took up valuable space and energy for little benefit, which could have been used to increase resolution/distance/spectrum or decrease latency. On the feasibility of the eye mod, I don't know, it's fictional future science; they could put the Hubble in his face, as long as he is generally inferior to DX1 mechs.

I don't care a whole lot about the stuff above, although I agree it doesn't align well with DX1. It'll be annoying for me, but probably not while playing it. I forget what it was that I was so down about with DX3. Health regeneration isn't a huge bother to me...I'd have to look up the old thread. There were things I found disappointing about gameplay and story changes.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Guys! It is possible Jensens mech parts are powered by plot device, which would mean it doesn't break lore, assuming Jensen stays sort of in the background and doesn't become humanity's savior and shit.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

justanotherfan wrote:I don't know about MP and game quality, as long as they don't intentionally make all the SP levels into really good MP stages that suck in SP.
Ironically, some of the best DX levels are the ones that are structured a lot like a multiplayer map - very open layout, with strategic choke-points, flanking opportunities, more secret but less direct routes to the objectives, some cramped passages for close-combat weapons to shine, some large open areas for long-distance weapons, etc.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

justanotherfan wrote:On the feasibility of the eye mod, I don't know, it's fictional future science; they could put the Hubble in his face, as long as he is generally inferior to DX1 mechs.
If that is in response to me, I just want to point out that I have no problem with fictional future science saying that in 17 years there will an eye sized device that can diagnose a broken arm at a distance in an instant.

Where I do take issue is when Lork, in his wisdom, says that a fictional world that doesn't have that technology is, "not a credible representation of the future for 2010."

Bullshit it's not credible. Lork may think that any representation of 2027 that doesn't have Jensen's eyes is wholly unbelievable, and Lork certainly has the right to believe that, but I think that that belief is positively insane. Forget about Anna and Gunther's eyes for a moment, if DX3 didn't have mechanical eyes at all, that would still be a credible future.

Seriously, if Jensen woke up and stuck in a glass eye (not a magic mechanical glass eye, just the kind we have today) and that was the only thing involving eyes in the video would anyone here, other than Lork, have said, "That's not credible! In 2027 we'll have mechanical eyes that fit right into your eye sockets and can do cool things like identify broken bones in your enemies. Any game that doesn't have those couldn't possibly be set in 2010's future!" ? Maybe someone would have said that, but I don't think a lot of people would respond in that way.

-

I think that eyes like Anna's and Gunther's are at least as credible as eyes like Jensen's and therefore do not buy that the DX3 team had to give Jensen the eyes that they gave him to make the game "a credible representation of the future for 2010."
Angel-A
UNATCO

Post by Angel-A »

Mechanical augmentations are just coming out, they have to look sleek and pretty to win over a public that's already disinclined to like them.
In 25 years, when mech-augs are mainstream, aesthetics aren't as important as functionality, especially for a cash-strapped government agency. Their purpose is as a walking weapon, not a PR person.

Jonas wrote:I dunno, how does it look more futuristic than DX1?
The architecture in HR looks more futuristic than in DX1, going by the concept art. That art may be outdated by now, so it's possible they're toned it down a touch, but I can tell you: we really don't see architecture like that in DX.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Chris. You are desperately needed at the DX3 forums. There are retards over there who are literally arguing Anna and Gunther were NOT in fact mechs and that there if no evidence or even mention of it AT ALL. I have quoted some small bits I could find immediately but you are so much better at reasoning.

I love you. In a manly man kind of manly way. Man.
Angel-A
UNATCO

Post by Angel-A »

gamer0004 wrote:There are retards over there who are literally arguing Anna and Gunther were NOT in fact mechs and that there if no evidence or even mention of it AT ALL.
They... What?

O_O

Ow, ow, ow, ow, OW, my brain.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Is it possible ( shock horror) that the visuals are more for potential buyers of the game (not the hardcore fans), and not any consistancy with DX lore?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

bobby 55 wrote:Is it possible ( shock horror) that the visuals are more for potential buyers of the game (not the hardcore fans), and not any consistancy with DX lore?
perish the thought.
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Once I'm in the game, if I've some dude lined up in the cross-hairs, I won't be thinking too much about game content, rather *cop this asshole*. :P
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

bobby 55 wrote:Once I'm in the game, if I've some dude lined up in the cross-hairs, I won't be thinking too much about game content, rather *cop this asshole*. :P
But unless this is a horrid mutilation of DX, you will spend a lot of time doing non-combat stuff. Like talking, and exploring.
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Yeah that's true, but what visuals will affect that side of the game? As long as it's fun to play I don't mind inconsistancy with the story or how mechs should or shouldn't look. If I want deep and meaningful I'll read a book. :P
Last edited by bobby 55 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Facial animations and environment art.

Visuals affect pretty much everything, and it's a mistake to reject the significant effect they have on the player experience, no matter whether they strive for photorealism or something more stylised.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

The devil's in the detail. I guess you have a point but it wouldn't be the prime reason behind my playing the game.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Well Jonas you're right but PS:T is still de best talky-explory game and it made do without any fancy facial expressions(or faces at all for that matter). It had brilliant environmental art though.
bobby 55 wrote:If I want deep and meaningful I'll read a book. :P
And if you want deep, meaningful and interactive you'll play a good videogame.
odio ergo sum