Tracking/Music

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

kdawg88
MJ12

Tracking/Music

Post by kdawg88 »

Just wondering if there is anyone here who is familiar with music tracking programs, namely Madtracker 2 (they are all similar AFAIK).

How does one edit the duration of a note? The various tutorials I have read do not give a straight answer to this, at least not in simple english. Thanks in advance.
Kee715
Illuminati

Re: Tracking/Music

Post by Kee715 »

I have yet to learn of a "music tracker," what is it? And what does it do?
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Kee715 wrote:I have yet to learn of a "music tracker," what is it? And what does it do?
A music tracker is a piece of software that makes a digital arrangement of notes using a prespecified set of samples. This is saved in a file that is a tracker format and is playable generally with most players. Mods and S3Ms are two examples of such formats.

The advantage is that one person can come up with an entire orchestra of sounds to play in something - all it takes is having the samples and the know-how to use the software (a lot of crap has been put out there for this fact), but the big disadvantage is that it comes off artificial (no matter how great a job the artist did) and doesn't wholly sound like the real thing.

Most/all of what you hear in DX, and the DX mods (like TNM) are tracker stuff.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I still love mod music, but of course I'm listening to MP3 re-encodings so they work in media players. Damn.

I don't remember much about tracking. There should be a setting for duration when using the sample, certainly for speed anyway.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Heh, I recognize the names 4Mat and Drax, and of course Alexander Brandon. I probably have songs by the others, but there were so many names. I've 257 mods in iTunes&Songbird now, but I have old FTP archives and such I never converted.

Ever listen to NoiseMusic(.org, gone now)? I still listen to those tracks often.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

Does anyone know how to edit the duration of a note?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Try a different tracker maybe. It could just be the interface. I had Player Pro on the Mac, but I can't recommend it now ;-) Open-sourced but abandoned.
fender2k1
NSF

Post by fender2k1 »

kdawg88 wrote:Does anyone know how to edit the duration of a note?
the duration of a note lasts as long as the sample does.
for example if you're using a pad that has loop points set, it will infinitely loop until you end the note.
on the other hand, if the sample is a one shot.. like percussion or pluck samples, the duration will be very short and only play once.

you can kinda extend the note a little by playing the note at a lower octave.
if a sample at C5 is played, it will sound normal.
but, a sample played at C4, obviously will take longer to play because it's trying to play it at that pitch.

edit: i recommend modplug tracker. it was made open source and a number of updates were added. its called Open MPT now.
Follow UNATCO Born on twitter for the latest updates:
http://twitter.com/unatcoborn

forums:
http://dxr.deus-ex.org/forums/

NO THANKS I ALREADY HAD A HAM SANDWICH IN THE CHOPPER
http://www.moddb.com/mods/nihilum
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

fender2k1 wrote:
kdawg88 wrote:Does anyone know how to edit the duration of a note?
the duration of a note lasts as long as the sample does.
for example if you're using a pad that has loop points set, it will infinitely loop until you end the note.
on the other hand, if the sample is a one shot.. like percussion or pluck samples, the duration will be very short and only play once.

you can kinda extend the note a little by playing the note at a lower octave.
if a sample at C5 is played, it will sound normal.
but, a sample played at C4, obviously will take longer to play because it's trying to play it at that pitch.

edit: i recommend modplug tracker. it was made open source and a number of updates were added. its called Open MPT now.
Hmmm, that's really disappointing, as I would have thought it would be the same as a synthesiser. Thanks for the info; much appreciated.