Community

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Re: Community

Post by chris the cynic »

Well this reminds me of a thing from a Smothers Brothers routine. It's from "You didn't come in" but since that only makes sense if you've listened to their previous renditions of "I Talk to the Trees" I'll skip over all that and cut to the end.

Tommy starts to sing a beautiful sounding song that goes like this:

I've seen a lot of faces
And I've been a lot of places
So I know I must be going somewhere
The world just keeps spinning
And I'm always just beginning to begin
But I never seem to get there
The times and seasons go on
But all the rhymes and the reasons are wrong
I'll know I'll discover
After it's all over and done
I should have been a nun

Even knowing that they're the Smothers Brothers, the last line is something you don't see coming.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I see both 'I talk to trees' and 'You didn't come in' are on iTunes, so I may look into that, until then, I will assume that you mean that Kee SHOULD be a nun, even though he isn't.
Kee715 wrote:A nun I am not, for neither be me a female nor Catholic. :p
Now that set me to think, "monk" is a cross-religion indication of ... "a person who practices religious asceticism, living either alone or with any number of monks, while always maintaining some degree of physical separation from those not sharing the same purpose." (thanks wikipedia)

So I wonder, if Monk is cross-religion (henceforth XR), is nun XR as well? If not, would monk be applicable to women as well?
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I would guess that you could have female monks in general. In Catholicism not so much, though many Catholics (especially but not only female Catholics) are working on that. (At least I'm guessing they are since I assume that the efforts to have female priests would apply to monks as well.)

Nun is basically the female counterpart of friars and monks, but it's got it's own traditions (like why they wear a wedding ring) that make me think it might not be the easiest term to apply to other faiths. On the other hand, wikipedia says there are Buddhist nuns. So apparently the term is more versatile than I would have imagined.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

As I think it's an interesting subject, and like to read:
http://www.buddhapadipa.org/pages/buddh ... dhism.html

Still interesting how the article uses mostly "female monk" instead of "nun", although the word nun is also used a couple of times. Anyway, got to work.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
TimGT
Thug

Post by TimGT »

Har