Secret Deus Ex Conversations

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

nerdenstein
Illuminati

Secret Deus Ex Conversations

Post by nerdenstein »

Whilst looking for a video on how to get past Anna at UNATCO without killing her, I stumbled upon a bunch of videos with hidden conversations. These cannot be access ingame as far as I am aware without altering a couple of things in the respective maps or cheating. Enjoy. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5odtVZkI ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0I9-hk0 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb6okiOR ... re=related

This one has been mentioned before but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwHATlzU ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJzxX5hm ... re=related
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Re: Secret Deus Ex Conversations

Post by DaveW »

Ooh, we could probably add that first one back into one of the earlier Battery Park missions right?
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

We could indeed! Crap, It crashed when I tried to save it. #-o
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Oh, it'll be in the game, possible to trigger it by altering the maps.

ISTR the first video's conversations, possible by evading Gunther.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

But Gunther follows you in Battery Park. The guy who uploaded the video says in the description that he altered Gunthers orders to get it too work.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

It's odd that someone would notice that these conversations exist and then not realize that the Smuggler conversation does change if you rescue Ford before meeting him.

(As near as I can tell, the only problem with putting that in is that it would require suppressing or altering an infolink message from Alex.)
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I think that one we can leave out. Just leave the drains locked until you get the key from Smuggler.
Considering keeping that Scientist one in but making him male (Obviously). Or better yet, just add the same convo bind to a male Scientist NPC somewhere in the map.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

ISTR there was some way to distract Gunther, like a gas grenade trap. At least ghosting would work. It's why he keeps looking back at Gunther, to see if he's coming to interrupt.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

That all sounds like we'd have to pull some trickery to get it to work. The Battery Park thing is something we could throw in to, say, the time you go there to find the Mole People - same with the Red Arrow conversation about Paul's "wife" - the others look like it would require a bit too much work to get them in. If the content's there and it doesn't contradict the story, I don't think it can possibly detract from the experience so it's worth putting that content in there.

I assume that Alex mentions Smuggler on your way to Ford though? I actually missed the entire mission on my play-through, I was convinced it was on the return to NY when you save Paul. Why leave in the conversation if they then added in another that would contradict it? Deus Ex is really all over the place sometimes.
dx_blaster
Thug

Post by dx_blaster »

i found an other secret conversation.

UNATCO HQ 2nd time. ghost into the prison cell and talk to the two prisoners before walter simons goes there.
its a very interesing conversation with one of the guy's dont know why its not possible to talk to him
i guess it was supposed to be, but the dev's didnt manage to start conversation behind windows glass.

best is to start cheat console and use legend: 03_NYC_UNATCOHQ
wbr
DX_Blaster
sorry for my bad English it is not my native tongue

latest cool thing i found on the net:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vV ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoFe8hRy ... r_embedded
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I agree that would count as a Secret Conversation, but you can get in there without cheating; Just follow Walton after he has spoken with Jaime.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Yeah, secret conversation, but not disabled.

With Gunther in Battery Park, the devs were clearly concerned about the player getting around Gunther; there's barricades and locked hatches everywhere. If you go to the helicopter, you can't escape anyway. I mentioned earlier, it's possible to trick Gunther's AI somehow to get away, but it's incredibly difficult. Those conversations with the bums were probably added before Gunther was set to chase the player. Not having him chase would fix the problem, but make it like Anachronox, where the player may avoid talking to some NPCs until after exploration; Gunther chasing the player makes it far more arrest-like.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

dx_blaster wrote:i found an other secret conversation.

UNATCO HQ 2nd time. ghost into the prison cell and talk to the two prisoners before walter simons goes there.
its a very interesing conversation with one of the guy's dont know why its not possible to talk to him
i guess it was supposed to be, but the dev's didnt manage to start conversation behind windows glass.
It's actually very easy to get that conversation, you just walk in right behind Simons.

When you said this I thought you meant that it was possible to get an actual conversation with the one Simons interrogates.

When I went in to check, I noticed something that surprised me. The door to the cell opens when you approach it from the inside, which is a good idea but not what I remember. I remember getting stuck inside if I let Simons leave without me, so not sure what was up with that.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I don't think Walton ever leaves the cell block in that map.
Or I assumed he didn't.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

nerdenstein wrote:I don't think Walton ever leaves the cell block in that map.
Or I assumed he didn't.
Yeah, you seem to be right.

I've definitely gotten stuck in there before, probably due to a bug, and looking back on it I probably conflated not being able to get out with not being able to get in. People tend to look for patterns so if you've got, "I couldn't open the door and I don't remember why," on the one hand and, "Only Simons can open the door," on the other it's easy for the two to get linked even though "Only Simons can open the door" applies to the outside and the inability to open the door I was thinking of was from the inside.