Funny/odd stuff in Deus Ex

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Morpheus
X-51

Funny/odd stuff in Deus Ex

Post by Morpheus »

I was playing through vanilla Deus Ex and I was going on the storyline that I KO'd Lebedev and didn't kill Anna at the 747. When I was talking to Jamie with Walton in UNATCO HQ, thought his voice acting was a little odd when Walton said "We have you to take his place" sounds like "take his plaaacccee" (voice sort of goes up and down when he says this line) so wondered, has anyone else found anything odd/funny in the vanilla game?
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Re: Funny/odd stuff in Deus Ex

Post by nerdenstein »

This guy makes me laugh every. time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op94SHnOkDw
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Crowe
Thug

Post by Crowe »

Why are there no doors on the stalls in UNATCO?

UNATCO is funded by FEMA. They can afford high-end assault rifles, top-of-the-line hackers like Alex Jacobson, state-of-the-art helicopters and highly-augmented agents like Gunther, Anna, and even the Denton brothers. It seems to me that they would be able to afford stall doors, or perhaps a reasonable alternative, like flat pieces of cardboard duct-taped over the opening.

The first time I played through Deus Ex, I stumbled into the woman's restroom and my co-worker Shannon became quite upset, so upset in fact that she ran upstairs and told my boss, Joseph Manderley. Mr. Manderley, upon our next meeting, proceeded to chastise me for being a filthy pervert and I think he may have docked my pay. I claim ignorance: I was too busy exploring UNATCO HQ to notice the little signs next to the door. Plus I thought there may have been a lockpick or multitool concealed behind a toilet or under the sink. After all I found random medical crates in the lobby of the Statue of Liberty, and it seemed possible that the women's restroom would be home to similarly out-of-place trinkets and treasures.

If there were doors on the stalls, I think Shannon would have been less upset. One time I was sitting in the loo where there were no stall doors. A heavily armed man in a trenchcoat and sunglasses proceeded to enter the bathroom and observe me for some time before leaving. It was very flattering but also very awkward. I recall thinking to myself Boy, this situation would be less awkward if there were doors on the stalls, or even just a reasonable alternative like duct tape and cardboard. The next time I used the restroom, I rectified the problem by spending the duration standing on the toilet seat instead of sitting. That way, I could watch the door and if any heavily-armed men in a trenchcoat and sunglasses entered and if so, I could take the necessary steps to ensure that the situation would be less stressful.
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

My name was in a Datacube in Area 51, it was funny, becuase I was famous.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

I found it funny that in one apartment owned by man called Everett in Paris there was this HUGE aquarium, and there was quite much knocked out human bodies in there. They looked so relaxed. Just floating around.
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

Has this forum gone slightly mad?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Long ago, Howard. Very long ago.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

Grammatolatry wrote:Has this forum gone slightly mad?
Hahahahaaaahahahaaa!!!

I'm the Captain here!

Sold!

Wee-hee!

Mutiny!
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

*backs away slowly*

Speaking of Versalife, does anyone know why that one MiB says such strange things? I think it's the one in the shadows near the greasel pen. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but it stands out because its so unusual.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Yes. I do.

Hang on.

*Looks up stuff*

It's not just the one. In theory all of them would say the same things, but you don't encounter a lot of idle ones in the game. Actually, I take that back. There are two settings for MiBs. One is "Verbose" the other is "Normal". Normal MiBs don't say anything while idle, they cough, sigh, clear their throats, and that's it.

This is what verbose MiBs say:

(The thing in italics is a comment from one of the developers)

If there were just some way of tracking all these people...
Subject is approaching.
We'll never be able to separate out the hybrids.
Something odd about his biometrics.
Sometimes you'll get a MiB just whispering to himself, saying weird stuff. Mentally, these guys are pretty far from normal.
Cold. Cold and dark. It goes on forever.
Something's not right here.
Some of these people are androids. Watch the way they move.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

For some reason that reminds me of the lines Sheldon wrote for his own cameo character in TNM. He's pretty good at those short, enigmatic but evocative one-liners I think.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine