Would you have bought DX:HR if it wasn't Deus Ex?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Would you have bought DX:HR if it wasn't Deus Ex?

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Half-price maybe
No votes

Total votes: 1
Paul1290
NSF

Re: Would you have bought DX:HR if it wasn't Deus Ex?

Post by Paul1290 »

It's probably one of the few AAA games I've purchased recently that I've liked.

I'm still going to be re-playing the original Deus Ex every once in a while rather than this game, but if we got more games like Human Revolution I'd say it would be a welcome improvement over what usually gets put out as FPSRPGs these days.
fantsu wrote: E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy?
Funny thing happened with E.Y.E.

Me and my friends saw it and that it was similar to the Half-Life 1 "Syndicate Black Ops" mod we used to play co-op a lot from the same developer and bought it based on that.
We weren't dissappointed in it at all in that regard. It's pretty much a sequel to that mod. We were too busy going "Dude they kept the werewolves in!" and "He hacked my eyes, he fucking hacked my eyes!" and "Oh my god, did you just jump off that bridge and kill that gunship with your sword!". :mrgreen:

Then afterwards we heard what other people were saying about the game and thought "Wait, this is supposed to be like Deus Ex or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or something? Since when?".

We shrugged and kept playing. Apparently it's supposed to suck so I guess it'll have to go down as a guilty pleasure.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Alpha Protocol?

Anyways, I still have plenty of games waiting for me, so I first wait if I win DX:HR, then I'll see if I buy it...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Hard to say. Without Deus Ex, I might not have gotten interested in FPSRPG as a genre in the first place. If we're just talking about if HR was called Ex Principa: Human revolution then.... I probably would have waited to buy it until half price. I mean, I would have torrented it to try and found it unworthy of full price, and then gotten it at a steam sale.

Game simply has too many flaws
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Crowe
Thug

Post by Crowe »

I do not think so. Just by playing the game, I feel like the only reason "Deus Ex" is tacked onto the title is to appeal to the fans of the original. HR (to me) just feels like an overstylized, sensationalist video game meant to be hyped up and sold, but lacks the substance that made the original so able to withstand the test of time in the first place. If I want a shallow storyline revolving solely around overdramatization, I will watch Gossip Girl or Hell's Kitchen.
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

It seems that there are people who agree with me.

I don't think people are going to remember this game in 10 years time like we remember DX1, it seems as if I'm not going to replay this any time soon, but I'll still be playing the first and I'll probably play Alpha Protocol more than DXHR.

Dishono(u)red seems like it's going to be more Deus Ex than DXHR, the style of Ion Storm Austin can't be beaten.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Wow. This is game of the year to me. It's interesting to see how my opinion is so different.

Everyone I know who has played it has loved it. Every single person. And when looking at my steam profile, that's 3 quarters of the regular/hardcore gamers.

I'm curious why it's not doing it for you guys.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

AEmer wrote:Wow. This is game of the year to me. It's interesting to see how my opinion is so different.

Everyone I know who has played it has loved it. Every single person. And when looking at my steam profile, that's 3 quarters of the regular/hardcore gamers.

It's certainly polarized opinions. In my second playthrough I've been trying things a little differently, and even though the endings won't change, I've been pleasantly surprised at how conversations have altered, and in some cases your rewards for certain quests do too. I've also been listening to more casual conversations and news stories, and the game seems to have more substance than my first playthrough indicated. It might be a narrow story arc, but it's an error to call it a shallow one in my opinion. I rate it alongside Alpha Protocol, and I really love that game.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

AEmer wrote:Wow. This is game of the year to me. It's interesting to see how my opinion is so different.

I agree, untill Skyrim comes out at least. That game will possibly give the original Deus Ex a run for its money in all honesty, still this game is enjoyable for anyone.

I can see why Jonas (sorry to namedrop ;)) likes it so much since it contains similar elements from DX:IW, the good ones most people overlook of course. But yeah I agree with you, Jonas, and others for the most part, I love this game so far.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Undisputed wrote:I agree, untill Skyrim comes out at least. That game will possibly give the original Deus Ex a run for its money in all honesty, still this game is enjoyable for anyone.
People think that happens after Oblivion and Fallout 3?
Cold shower alert incoming... ;)
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Well, at least we still have Morrowind.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

I think, DX:HR has been through what Splinter Cell Conviction did to the rest of the series. in terms of graphics, and even gameplay to some extent.
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

Probably not. I'd have just read the plot on wiki, and watched the cutscenes on youtube. Adam's voice kinda puts me off, but the fact that it's DX makes up for it.
wink wonk
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Grammatolatry wrote:Probably not. I'd have just read the plot on wiki, and watched the cutscenes on youtube. Adam's voice kinda puts me off, but the fact that it's DX makes up for it.
Just download the Spanish language pack! I think it would be good if you were able to select different languages for specific characters. A Spanish Jensen talking to an English Letitia while being harassed by a German cop? If I ever make a video game it would definitely be multilingual, and it would change for no apparent reason through the game.

Maybe it's already in DDL's mod? :P
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

shadowblade34 wrote:I think, DX:HR has been through what Splinter Cell Conviction did to the rest of the series. in terms of graphics, and even gameplay to some extent.
With all due respect for your personal opinion of the game, I think that's a pretty enormous exaggeration. I think DXHR is much closer to DX1 than Conviction was to Chaos Theory (fuck the first two, they were way too linear). I just don't have the energy to analyse why right now.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Jonas wrote:
shadowblade34 wrote:I think, DX:HR has been through what Splinter Cell Conviction did to the rest of the series. in terms of graphics, and even gameplay to some extent.
With all due respect for your personal opinion of the game, I think that's a pretty enormous exaggeration. I think DXHR is much closer to DX1 than Conviction was to Chaos Theory (fuck the first two, they were way too linear). I just don't have the energy to analyse why right now.
When I said "gameplay to some extent", I meant in the gunplay/action side to things, for example, red barrels in loads of places, easier shooting, making it a faily simple cover based shooter if one wants to play that way. It is closer to DX1 than Conviction to Chaos Theory in terms of level design and such.

And the graphics, well that's easy to see, the characters look fairly similar in design, their animations and such.

Keep in mind that I don't think DXHR is a bad game, just that there are a lot of things which made it flawed.