Would you have bought DX:HR if it wasn't Deus Ex?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Would you have bought DX:HR if it wasn't Deus Ex?

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Half-price maybe
No votes

Total votes: 1
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Would you have bought DX:HR if it wasn't Deus Ex?

Post by Jonas »

shadowblade34 wrote:When I said "gameplay to some extent", I meant in the gunplay/action side to things, for example, red barrels in loads of places, easier shooting, making it a faily simple cover based shooter if one wants to play that way. It is closer to DX1 than Conviction to Chaos Theory in terms of level design and such.
Well, it may be a little lame to just address each of your points individually, but DX1's levels were full of explosive barrels, gas barrels, and radioactive barrels. The shooting is indeed easier in that you're more accurate by default, but have you actually tried playing it like a standard cover-based shooter? On more than one occasion, I was killed by a single shotgun blast to the face, it's not exactly a walk in the park to play the game that way.

Finally, any change from Deus Ex's animations is a good change IMO.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Jonas wrote:
shadowblade34 wrote:When I said "gameplay to some extent", I meant in the gunplay/action side to things, for example, red barrels in loads of places, easier shooting, making it a faily simple cover based shooter if one wants to play that way. It is closer to DX1 than Conviction to Chaos Theory in terms of level design and such.
Well, it may be a little lame to just address each of your points individually, but DX1's levels were full of explosive barrels, gas barrels, and radioactive barrels. The shooting is indeed easier in that you're more accurate by default, but have you actually tried playing it like a standard cover-based shooter? On more than one occasion, I was killed by a single shotgun blast to the face, it's not exactly a walk in the park to play the game that way.

Finally, any change from Deus Ex's animations is a good change IMO.
I never said anything was bad about the animations, or the shooting gameplay. I actually thought they were strong points of both games, I was just comparing them.

The barrels are a lot more noticeable than in the first game, for example, on Panchea, they were everywhere, in almost every single room.

Playing DXHR as a cover based shooter isn't too hard even on Deus Ex difficulty, just pop out of cover for a headshot every once in a while and go back in. I didn't think it was too hard.

Also, was it just me, the robots didn't give me the "OH SHIT!" feeling everytime one of them saw me, there was only one time at the Belltower docks, when it followed me across the map and down some stairs.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well Panchaea was generally a bit shit though. It was a nice setpiece, but... zombies? Really? I guess if they've already made the extremely poor decision of making a level with zombies, the least they can do to make up for it is fill it with explosive barrels so you can take out groups of zombies more easily.

Also they could be more obvious because they were red instead of metal grey and I guess they were spread out a bit more, whereas the explosive barrels in DX were generally collected in more or less logical places, since you were expected to carry them to wherever you needed them yourself.

The robots... well small ones were easy enough to handle with EMP mines, the big ones never spotted me except once when I walked right out in front of one just to see its attack animation. I would've liked more robots in general, I felt that my robot hacking upgrade was kind of wasted.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

shadowblade34 wrote:Also, was it just me, the robots didn't give me the "OH SHIT!" feeling everytime one of them saw me, there was only one time at the Belltower docks, when it followed me across the map and down some stairs.
It did me. Only because half the time I didn't have any grenades to take them down so I just legged it. But at the same time, they didn't feel quite as threatening as Deus Ex made them out too be. I mean, I took one out with a 10mm pistol at one point because I'd ran out of grenades. :/
Or I just used explosive Revolver rounds on it. That was totally my favourite weapon in the game. :P
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

AEmer wrote:Wow. This is game of the year to me. It's interesting to see how my opinion is so different.

Everyone I know who has played it has loved it. Every single person. And when looking at my steam profile, that's 3 quarters of the regular/hardcore gamers.

I'm curious why it's not doing it for you guys.
Just read the different posts in the DX:HR related topics and you'll see. Not much point in reiterating all the negative/show-breaker points once again. In short the game lacks at various ends, suffers from various problems and in general does not give you the urge to play again.
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Dragon wrote:in general does did not give you me the urge to play again.
Fixed that for you :smile:
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I am trying to replay HR right now, but I really can't enjoy this shooting business. It's just not fun in any way to me. Popping uninteresting moles with poor AI.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Jaedar wrote:I am trying to replay HR right now, but I really can't enjoy this shooting business. It's just not fun in any way to me. Popping uninteresting moles with poor AI.
The AI is really really terrible.
These two guys walked right past me
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/59582 ... F9C643D27/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/59582 ... DB985BE07/
Last edited by shadowblade34 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You posted the same image twice.

I think your AI is pretty bad >:D
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

Jonas wrote:You posted the same image twice.

I think your AI is pretty bad >:D
I am a prototype of a much larger system. :giggle:

I've edited the post with the correct image now.
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

Hassat Hunter wrote:
Undisputed wrote:I agree, untill Skyrim comes out at least. That game will possibly give the original Deus Ex a run for its money in all honesty, still this game is enjoyable for anyone.
People think that happens after Oblivion and Fallout 3?
Cold shower alert incoming... ;)
Are you suggesting Morrowind was better than Oblivion and the same with the original Fallouts over 3?

Yeah, its all a matter of opinion, but there is plenty of people who feel Oblivion was the best title in the Elder Scrolls (so far) and the fact Skyrim is tweaking some of the gameplay aspects but obviously adding more features says alot. Plus, the way they incorporated dragons is absolutely mindblowing how well they pulled it off judging by gameplay footage.

In all honesty this year has been lackluster for gaming asides from DXHR imo.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Undisputed wrote:
In all honesty this year has been lackluster for gaming asides from DXHR imo.
Every year is more lacklustre than the previous one. The crash is inevitable.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

Undisputed wrote:
Hassat Hunter wrote:Are you suggesting Morrowind was better than Oblivion and the same with the original Fallouts over 3?
The correct answer is Oblivion is worse than Morrowind and Skyrim is even worse as it does not only bastardize the TES lore it also continues to cut game mechanics as Oblivion did. It's like always. Oblivion has been a step forward in Graphics but a bunch of steps backwards in game mechanics. Skyrim is on the same track right now.
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jeez Jaedar, you're such a grumpy old man!
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

shadowblade34 wrote:When I said "gameplay to some extent", I meant in the gunplay/action side to things, for example, red barrels in loads of places
Deus Ex has barrels in loads of places. In fact, I used it _a lot_ more in Deus Ex than in HR.
shadowblade34 wrote:easier shooting, making it a faily simple cover based shooter if one wants to play that way.
Well, if you _want_, yes...or...well...if you put a laser sight on a silenced pistol in Deus Ex, and grab advanced pistols immediately, the gunplay is pretty easy there too. That doesn't even touch on how exceptionally easy gunplay in Deus Ex becomes with subdermal armor or cloak, the energy saver, and the healing augmentation.

For a more hardcore deus ex experience in HR, I suggest cranking up the difficulty to max, ignoring subdermal and other armors, disabling the aiming reticule in options, and never taking energy upgrades. You can instead invest in all the fancy augmented reality augmentations, hacking, inventory space and the various mobility augmentations. You're likely to have more fun with that challenge if you're into "realistic" shooters. Oh, and if you only ever shoot people who work more or less directly for the illuminati, that helps too. Commit to never murdering anybody if they aren't actively out to murder you, that kind of thing.

Be adviced that it took me at least 10 hours more than Jonas to complete the game, and I wasn't as thorough as him, when playing it this way....but I did have a blast!