Would you have bought DX:HR if it wasn't Deus Ex?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Half-price maybe
No votes

Total votes: 1
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

My take:

Take the nostalgia factor away and this game feels bland and uninspired.

Not a bad game but not a good one. Just middle of the road. The only impressive thing is just how well it hit the bulls-eye of mediocrity.
A hole is a hole.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Would you have bought DX:HR if it wasn't Deus Ex?

Post by bobby 55 »

I don't honestly know. I'm certainly happy that I did though. It's definitely cyberpunk. It's not one of the countless brown insipid shooters. Yes Medal of Honor I'm looking at you in particular. If you read lots of emails, listen to (eavesdrop) conversations, and do a particular sidequest or two, you discover a decent story and a *philosophical debate I'm still not sure on which side I'm on.

*Note to self: Don't post when drinking distracted.
Last edited by bobby 55 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Now there's the question.
bobby 55 wrote:you discover a decent story and a philospical debate I'm still not sure on which side I'm on.
Is the debate well illustrated or framed? DX1 touched on it, DX2 made it a main topic, so is it fresh and well explored in DX3?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

justanotherfan wrote:
Now there's the question.
bobby 55 wrote:you discover a decent story and a philospical debate I'm still not sure on which side I'm on.
Is the debate well illustrated or framed? DX1 touched on it, DX2 made it a main topic, so is it fresh and well explored in DX3?
The debate being whether humans/humanity would ultimately be better off in their unaltered state, or better off with enhancements. It's certainly well illustrated a good portion of the story revolves around it. The overheard conversations regarding it, give you the "everyman" point of view about it. Throw biotech companies' CEOs, and leaders of the human purity movement, both with their own agendas, into the mix, and you kinda get all aspects of the debate presented to you.
Last edited by bobby 55 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I think I'd have been more likely to buy it in that case. A game set in a future with conspiracies and augmentations that tries to give Deus Ex style gameplay yet has none of the cognitive dissonance that results from trying to square what I know of this game with what I know of Deus Ex? It sounds good to me.
miguel
UNATCO

Post by miguel »

I haven't even played it yet but if the game is just like you described then i say no.
When I bought Fallout 3 was because it's similar to DX in gameplay (non linear FPS/RPG with guns, lock picking, hacking.) I bought IW just because it is the sequel to DX. I never looked for
Project Snowblind because it has nothing to do with DX. If RAGE is like Fallout 3 i will buy it. When it comes to video games, Right now I'm more interested in the gameplay rather than anything else .
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

From what I know about it, having not played it, no. But then I don't buy most games. From the looks and sound of it it's a better than average game but not exceptional - and it would take something pretty special to make me buy a game (usually a good multiplayer component, which is why the last game I bought was L4D2 when it came out.)
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I haven't bought it for the exact reason that 1.) It's not really Deus Ex and 2.) I think it's very bland. The leak didn't capture me at all and I just stopped playing after a few hours, not out of frustration or whatever, but because I simply couldn't care at all.

That said, I think many people would've liked it anyway, because it is the sort of game the PC community has been craving for for years: choices, multiple ways to solve problems, that stuff. The name certainly helped to create hype though.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Absolutely. I buy anything that even smells faintly of FPSRPG. We have, what? Six of them? DX, IW, Bloodlines, STALKER, and Fallout 3 and New Vegas? Well there's Boiling Point, but it's shit. BioShock isn't really an FPSRPG, just an FPS with RPG elements. Yeah I'd be all over Human Revolution no matter what. And I'm pretty sure I'd love it either way, it hits all the right notes. Almost all the right notes - the most important ones, at least.

Also, polls are broken. Have been for ages, if you were wondering why you're not getting any votes.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

Jonas wrote:Absolutely. I buy anything that even smells faintly of FPSRPG. We have, what? Six of them? DX, IW, Bloodlines, STALKER, and Fallout 3 and New Vegas? Well there's Boiling Point, but it's shit. BioShock isn't really an FPSRPG, just an FPS with RPG elements.
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy?
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

Definitely not. If I would not be playing this for reviewing purpose I'd have slammed it in a dustbin days ago. And concerning the philosophy part: no, not much at all. There are random ramblings (2-liners, short automatic chit-chat) of people about how they dislike, hate, fear or appraise the tech but this is nothing compared to the conversations you had in DX one which actually had been philosophical debates (especially they are more or less the same just with slightly changed lines but similar content). Besides you get too quickly this "when is this mediocre game EVENTUALLY finished!" feeling midway through I never encountered in DX. From there on it's either you stopping or dragging through if you have to.
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Maybe at half price, the DX name really sold the game for me at least. If people were lyrical because of the good gameplay here, I'd obviously keep an eye out for it. But I wouldn't have bought it at release.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas wrote:Absolutely. I buy anything that even smells faintly of FPSRPG. We have, what? Six of them? DX, IW, Bloodlines, STALKER, and Fallout 3 and New Vegas? Well there's Boiling Point, but it's shit.
I loved Boiling Point, it had some character to it. The graphics were pretty impressive for the time and it tried to be a bit different, at least. Even with the (many) flaws, I had more fun with Boiling Point than Fallout 3.
Dragon wrote:Definitely not. If I would not be playing this for reviewing purpose I'd have slammed it in a dustbin days ago.
To be fair, no matter what they did you'd have hated it anyway. They could've done a like-for-like remake of Deus Ex and you'd have still hated it.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

fantsu wrote:E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy?
Apparently I have repressed the existence of that game in my memories. Yes that goes on the list too, but it's fucking offensively awful :mrgreen:

DaveW wrote:I loved Boiling Point, it had some character to it. The graphics were pretty impressive for the time and it tried to be a bit different, at least. Even with the (many) flaws, I had more fun with Boiling Point than Fallout 3.
Make no mistake, I had fun with Boiling Point. But even if you love that game, it's impossible not to realise that it's pretty much shit. Come on... just admit it ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas wrote:
DaveW wrote:I loved Boiling Point, it had some character to it. The graphics were pretty impressive for the time and it tried to be a bit different, at least. Even with the (many) flaws, I had more fun with Boiling Point than Fallout 3.
Make no mistake, I had fun with Boiling Point. But even if you love that game, it's impossible not to realise that it's pretty much shit. Come on... just admit it ;)
Well, on the one hand it's pretty bad because the gameplay is fundamentally flawed i.e. it's based around combat/stealth, but the weapons and AI are terrible. On the other hand, games with much bigger budgets and English-speaking teams still manage to make much less enjoyable, poorly written games that then get rave reviews. So it's a bit shitty, but a much bigger budget game that manages to be less fun to play is shittier.