DLC for HR now available on steam

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

AEmer
Illuminati

DLC for HR now available on steam

Post by AEmer »

Oh you have got to be fucking kidding me.

Now you can buy the explosive mission pack, with grenade launcher, remote-detonated explosive device, and automatic unlocking device...and the rescue tracer tong mission.

I'm actually not horribly against them releasing the tong mission as DLC. I don't particularly appreciate being nickel and dimed, but it's 2,29 € - more than a fair price compared to what I paid for the game, if you consider the price-per-hour. It was also a filling and thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Here's what gets my goat, there's also a tactical enhancement pack...which gives you the double barrel shotgun, the silenced sniper rifle, and 10k ingame credits.

That's right, to be able to get a silenced, scoped rifle that shoots in a straight line, you need to pay them. They're effectively selling me _weapon mods_.

This is about as ridiculous as the oblivion horse armor, except when you play obvlivion, you probably won't go "gee, I wish I had horse armor, too bad it's not in the game"...but a silenced sniper rifle is sorely missed in HR.

So yeah. Fuck that shit and such.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: DLC for HR now available on steam

Post by bobby 55 »

Get the debug mod for free and you can obtain all that stuff from it's "store" for nought. I'm not sure if the Tong rescue mission is among it's maps. :D
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

AEmer wrote:I'm actually not horribly against them releasing the tong mission as DLC. I don't particularly appreciate being nickel and dimed, but it's 2,29 € - more than a fair price compared to what I paid for the game, if you consider the price-per-hour. It was also a filling and thoroughly enjoyable experience.
Not sure whether you mean it's more money than what would be a fair price, or if the price is more than fair.

Let's see... I paid 45€ for the game, and I spent about 40 hours on my first playthrough (second playthrough doesn't count, I may play through the DLC twice too, you never know). That's 1.125 € per hour. That means the Tracer Tong mission needs to be just over 2 hours long to be worth that price. But what about the weapons, you say? Well thanks to the debug mode modification, I can just give myself those weapons in the original game without needing the DLC, so those weapons are no added value to me (or indeed to anybody who knows where to find that mod).
That's right, to be able to get a silenced, scoped rifle that shoots in a straight line, you need to pay them. They're effectively selling me _weapon mods_.
Well yeah but it's reskinned and has a different description.

Yeah those two packs should've been released as one DLC item in my not so humble opinion.
This is about as ridiculous as the oblivion horse armor, except when you play obvlivion, you probably won't go "gee, I wish I had horse armor, too bad it's not in the game"...but a silenced sniper rifle is sorely missed in HR.
Well it's not really though. There's so few outdoor areas, and none of them are too big for the crossbow, especially once you put the target leading system on that bastard, it basically becomes a silenced sniper rifle. Plus, the silenced sniper rifle is not very powerful, once you come up against enemies with helmets, it stops being a one-hit-kill, even with headshots :?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

for real?

That's what I wanted it for. I couldn't take out heavies in singapore with the crossbow. Maybe I'm a terrible shot, but even with the modification, they appeared to have 2 huge arrows penetrating their skulls before they went down.

And modding the game to circumvent the need to purchase the DLC is a bug, not a feature :D
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Crossbow bolts are a lot more rare than sniper bullets though.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

yeah, but aren't they reuseable if you go and pick them up again?
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

Theoretically yes, but practically they break in >50% of cases. Out of 10 arrows I managed to retrieve 1 all others broke. Useless weapon is useless although overpowered as hell.
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

I've read that the content is already on the disc.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Undisputed wrote:I've read that the content is already on the disc.
Surely that's just to make mass production of the disc easier so they can just bundle the disc with any version of the game?
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Dragon wrote:Useless weapon is useless although overpowered as hell.
Does not compute.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

Jonas wrote:
Does not compute.
Overpowered + no_ammo = useless
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Dragon wrote:
Jonas wrote:
Does not compute.
Overpowered + need_to_conserve_ammo =Balanced
Fixed it for you ;)
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:Overpowered + need_to_conserve_ammo =Balanced
Yep, pretty much :?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
PlausibleSarge
UNATCO

Post by PlausibleSarge »

IMO This DLC was worth it, although it is not worth a penny more. It is a lot better than $15 for 4 call of duty maps (lolololololol I can get an entire game for that price) or for some useless "horse armor"
But yeah, im not willing ever to pay more than about $2 or $3 for an item of DLC, and thats only if it contains a reasonable amount of content.
shadowblade34
MJ12

Post by shadowblade34 »

I haven't checked it out yet, becuase I haven't played a game in weeks, but word on the street is that the Tong's Rescue mission is available from the debug menu.
What the heck are you looking at my signature for?Read my blog