Has anyone ever proofread/modded the DX weapons properties?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Bird
NSF

Re: Has anyone ever proofread/modded the DX weapons properti

Post by Bird »

Please excuse me for reviving this thread. IMHO it is beneficial to skim previous posts through above whether to decide to improve or not improve weapon mechanics/realism further in GMDX.
AmmoDartPoison wrote:A mini-crossbow dart tipped with a succinylcholine-variant that causes complete skeletal muscle relaxation, effectively incapacitating a target in a non-lethal manner.
If there would be an existing succinylcholine-variant… AFAIK decamethonium does not count as a succinylcholine-variant, nor does hexamethonium, not to mention that hexamethonium is non-depolarising, while decamethonium and succinylcholine depolarises motor end-plates; see Structure and function of the neuromuscular junction.

Important to mention that decamethonium and succinylcholine only paralyses living things and does not make them unconscious (see last paragraph). While they are not able to move, they are also fully aware of their surroundings.

Or shall we not ponder about such things which may make one ridiculed and keep believing instead that this so-called futuristic succinylcholine-variant is able to “knock living things unconscious” and paralyse them at the same time, shall we?

In all, we are MONSTERS!
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

It's a tranquilizer dart, it's got to have some seditation variant. If not a real one, then a fake one. A futuristic fake one. 8)
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Important to mention that decamethonium and succinylcholine only paralyses living things and does not make them unconscious (see last paragraph). While they are not able to move, they are also fully aware of their surroundings.
Effectively working the same as knocking them unconscious in terms of gameplay.
Or shall we not ponder about such things which may make one ridiculed and keep believing instead that this so-called futuristic succinylcholine-variant is able to “knock living things unconscious” and paralyse them at the same time, shall we?
Sure, why not? It's the future :P

I'm not keen on changing the dev's text, but if there is a chemist among us and a consensus is met that whoever originally wrote the ammo's description was verifiably wrong, and there is a better alternative, then I'll change it.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I'm not a chemist, but I know a bit about medicine - and I can say that sedatives/anesthesia have to be precisely measured and administered or you're running the risk of killing the subject. That's why anesthesiologists exist, and why people OD even after using drugs for a long time.

The same risk applies in paralytic agents, with some agents stopping the heart or causing blockages in the airway due to relaxation of certain muscles. This might not come with the chance of OD, and they might be able to be used more liberally (citation needed).

According to Wikipedia, with succinylcholine you have the risk of airway blockage. And using a variant of that can negate the affect on those specific muscles, so you're in the clear. If you don't have a chance of ODing on it, it might be worthwhile to change it to be a paralytic agent rather than a sedative.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yeah, I'm aware tranquilizers run high risk of killing if not at a very specific dosage, and even then you can still die. A dart to the head however would probably result in death with high certainty. So there's not really much point attempting to add realism where there should be none for the sake of sensible gameplay.

By all means I'd like to hear more weapon talk though. And stealth talk. I'll ask about the latter in the other thread though.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Then it might be worthwhile to change it from a poison-covered dart to a syringe dart:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... r_dart.jpg
http://teledart.com/en/products/dart-syringes/
Bird
NSF

Post by Bird »

Backstory:
I am going through vanilla DeusEx.int (by double-checking every localised Hungarian string if they are OK to go to GMDX). After I am done with that, I will merge my DeusEx.hut with a current GMDX.int.

Found another discrepancy. Electromagnetic Pulse grenades have no description for the ability to have them attached to a wall.
WeaponEMPGrenade wrote:The EMP grenade creates a localized pulse that will temporarily disable all electronics within its area of effect, including cameras and security grids.|n|n<UNATCO OPS FILE NOTE JR134-VIOLET> While nanotech augmentations are largely unaffected by EMP, experiments have shown that it WILL cause the spontaneous dissipation of stored bioelectric energy. -- Jaime Reyes <END NOTE>
Missing sentence is:
Like a LAM, Electromagnetic Pulse grenades can be attached to any surface.

So it should be:
WeaponEMPGrenade-CORRECTED wrote:The EMP grenade creates a localized pulse that will temporarily disable all electronics within its area of effect, including cameras and security grids. Like a LAM, Electromagnetic Pulse grenades can be attached to any surface.|n|n<UNATCO OPS FILE NOTE JR134-VIOLET> While nanotech augmentations are largely unaffected by EMP, experiments have shown that it WILL cause the spontaneous dissipation of stored bioelectric energy. -- Jaime Reyes <END NOTE>
Comparison:
WeaponGasGrenade wrote:Upon detonation, the gas grenade releases a large amount of CS (a military-grade 'tear gas' agent) over its area of effect. CS will cause irritation to all exposed mucous membranes leading to temporary blindness and uncontrolled coughing. Like a LAM, gas grenades can be attached to any surface.
WeaponNanoVirusGrenade wrote:The detonation of a GUARDIAN scramble grenade broadcasts a short-range, polymorphic broadband assault on the command frequencies used by almost all bots manufactured since 2028. The ensuing electronic storm causes bots within its radius of effect to indiscriminately attack other bots until command control can be re-established. Like a LAM, scramble grenades can be attached to any surface.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

What about the new napalm grenade in GMDX :-s
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Kelkos, you never fail to bug me. :smile:
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Thanks bird, will fix.
Bird
NSF

Post by Bird »

NP, YW. Will post more stuff if I find anything.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Help! I created a new weapon class. Under DeusExWeapon. WeaponSuperCrowbar. It has increased damage , but when I hit level geometery on ANY other actor , sparks appear what should I do?
Bird
NSF

Post by Bird »

You should start searching DXEditing first to find out whether your question has been answered, or not. If the latter, create a topic with your question. Thanks for not being off-topic again.
Bird
NSF

Typos and such

Post by Bird »

Typographic error:
AugShield wrote:Polyanilene capacitors below the skin absorb[…]
Should be “Polyaniline”.
WeaponModRecoil wrote:A stock cushioned with polycellular shock absorbing material will significantly reduce perceived recoil.
Handguns seldom have stocks attached to them.
WeaponModReload wrote:A speed loader greatly decreases the time required to reload a weapon.
Speedloaders are used for revolvers.
WeaponModRange wrote:By lubricating the firing path with synthetic synovial fluid, the drag on fired projectiles is greatly reduced with a consequent increase in range.|n|n<UNATCO OPS FILE NOTE SC111-BLUE> Coating the primary valve system of a flamethrower or plasma gun in synovial lubricant and then over-pressuring the delivery system will also result in an increase in range. Little trick I learned during field testing. -- Sam Carter <END NOTE>
WeaponModAccuracy wrote:When clamped to the frame of most projectile weapons, a harmonic balancer will dampen the vertical motion produced by firing a projectile, resulting in increased accuracy.|n|n<UNATCO OPS FILE NOTE SC108-BLUE> Almost any weapon that has a significant amount of vibration can be modified with a balancer; I've even seen it work with the mini-crossbow and a prototype plasma gun. -- Sam Carter <END NOTE>
In one of those OPS FILE NOTE'S the word prototype is missing from the comment (which may be intentional). Reference:
WeaponPlasmaRifle wrote:An experimental weapon that is currently being produced as a series of one-off prototypes, the plasma gun superheats slugs of magnetically-doped plastic and accelerates the resulting gas-liquid mix using an array of linear magnets. The resulting plasma stream is deadly when used against slow-moving targets.
AmmoPlasma wrote:A clip of extruded, magnetically-doped plastic slugs that can be heated and delivered with devastating effect using the plasma gun.
SkillWeaponHeavy wrote:The use of heavy weaponry, including flamethrowers, LAWs, and the experimental plasma and GEP guns.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: Typos and such

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Bird wrote:Typographic error: Should be “Polyaniline”.
Thanks.
Handguns seldom have stocks attached to them.
Yeah, and no stock is visible on the weapon models. Does one of the gun nuts here want to write an alternative? Remember you can get fictional, within reason. Just try to aim for something that reduces recoil internally, like weighted barrels perhaps.
Speedloaders are used for revolvers.
A speed loader is a generic-enough term that it can be advanced loader applicable to many types of weapons in the future.

As for the plasma rifle mention missing the word "experimental"...is that necessary to change?