Smash or Dash?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

TimGT
Thug

Smash or Dash?

Post by TimGT »

Gep gun or crossbow? The first, most obvious choices in Deus Ex made it a winner..What did you choose?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Smash or Dash?

Post by bobby 55 »

I always take the crossbow. I never feel the need for a gep gun until I get to the airfield in Lebedev's mission.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

GEP. You can pick up the other 2 in the level itself (the crossbow even just straight of the docks)
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Is it so bad that I take the Sniper? :lol:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

I always take the crossbow, rarely have I found a good use for the GEP gun, it takes up a lot of inventory, your slower walking when equipped and you can find grenades to do what you want or have them when you need them. Just the odd time might you need a GEP, like in the Paris Cathedral mission with all the bots outside.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

Usually the GEP since it's not readily available elsewhere on the level, but I tend to select whatever fits what I'm looking to do with that particular game.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Totally the GEP, every time. Like Hassat says, both the others are available in the first level (the crossbow multiple times, in fact), so all you're really doing is getting extra ammo (unless you're being super-non confrontational, I guess). The GEP isn't available again until the escape from SECRET MJ12 LAIR in mission 4 (when Carter lets you in the armoury).

Plus the GEP is useful for so many things.

"hrmm, do I want to use my lockpicks on this 80% door O WAIT *GEPS*"
"hrmmm, what's that camera's FOV, and can I sneak past it O WAIT *GEPS*"

and so on. The slowdown from holding it is almost never a problem, since you pull it out, GEP something and then put it away. Anything that needs gepping more than once is something you shouldn't be gepping in the first place (like milbots when you don't have enough heavy weap skill).

Plus there are WP rockets, which are monstrous, since fire is so stupidly OP in DX.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I usually take sniper because you get it scoped(the one on the map requires you buy a scope for it). Also the GEP gun takes too much room.

Crossbow is the only one there is no reason to take imo.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:I usually take sniper because you get it scoped(the one on the map requires you buy a scope for it).
I am 99.8% sure that's wrong. The sniper rifle in Deus Ex has a scope built into it, and never comes without a scope. Since you can't change any weapon properties when you put them in an NPC's inventory, you'd have to create a whole new sniper rifle class just to give that guy an unscoped rifle. And no such class exists in Deus Ex. So actually more like 99.9%.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

DDL wrote:Totally the GEP, every time. Like Hassat says, both the others are available in the first level (the crossbow multiple times, in fact), so all you're really doing is getting extra ammo (unless you're being super-non confrontational, I guess). The GEP isn't available again until the escape from SECRET MJ12 LAIR in mission 4 (when Carter lets you in the armoury).
Please don't kill me for this, buuuuutt... there's a GEP in one of the towers at the airfield in Lebedev's mission.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I typically pick the GEP gun, for the same reasons others do.
DDL

Post by DDL »

bobby 55 wrote: Please don't kill me for this, buuuuutt... there's a GEP in one of the towers at the airfield in Lebedev's mission.
Hah, shit: shows what I know.

Edit: though I did just sneakily look at the airfield maps, and I can't find a gep anywhere. Is it carried by a guy?

(I did also discover that SECRET MJ12 base is actually mission 5, as well)
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

There is a GEP gun on the airfield, though I'm not sure where. IIRC it is indeed in one of the towers, not carried by a trooper.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I usually go for the crossbow or sniper, I can usually avoid all contact with robots, even in Paris so the GEP gun is rather useless imho. The crossbow gives me at least some bolts, and the sniper rifle gives me some range, assuming I am killing people in the playthrough.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
DDL

Post by DDL »

Protip:the GEP can be used on people.

In fact, the GEP is vastly better when used on people than it is on bots (see milbot vs low heavy weap skill, above).

EMP grenades -on the other hand- are useless against people but only take up one inv slot.

Also, gepping people is wrong on so many levels that it's almost sinful NOT to do it, if you're already opting for lethal.

:twisted: :twisted: