Good graphics and my individualized DeusEx.u file both?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

akmatov
Thug

Good graphics and my individualized DeusEx.u file both?

Post by akmatov »

As I've mentioned, I don't much care for the properties of the weapons in DX; but that is no problem as I can go in and tweak them as I feel like in .uc files and then compile into a new DeusEx.u file.

Except it seems, probably due to the nature of the DX code, that at least some of the improvement mods have their own unique, untouchable DeuxEx.u files.

Is there any easy way to have both the nice new mods and my own tweaked weapons properties?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Re: Good graphics and my individualized DeusEx.u file both?

Post by G-Flex »

It seems like you aren't editing very much, so I suggest starting with whatever mod you prefer to use as a base, then either decompile it (using UnrealEd) or download the source directly (if it's available), then implement your changes and recompile.
akmatov
Thug

Post by akmatov »

Thanks G-Flex. I'm not intending to change much so your suggestion and some good advise from DDL and my just getting a little more familiar with all this may make this doable. I'm thinking I may not have quite understood some of the elements involved in adding the basic graphic improvement mods and may have been seeing a conflict that might not be there.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

HDTP has its own DeusEx.u which doesn't replace the default DeusEx.u. Perhaps in the future this could lead to multiple gameplay mods for one install as long as code doesn't conflict? Meh just a noob, ignore me.

Speaking of HDTP & compatability though- are there any gameplay mods that are compatable with HDTP at all yet, or are we all dependant on Yuki? I want to start a HDTP DX playthrough soon but want something that changes gameplay for an even more fresh experience.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

The only reason HDTP's DeusEx.u doesn't overwrite the vanilla one is because it's in a different folder. When the game loads though, the vanilla DeusEx.u (or whatever DeusEx.u that is present in the System folder) is replaced in memory by the other file. The game loads assets into the game from the paths defined in the .ini file. The path entry that is above another "wins" since it's loaded after the previous one (yes, the game loads from the bottom and up, somewhat confusing). Any files in the folder that is highest up in the .ini file is used instead of the the files from the folder below, like this:

Paths=..\HDTP\System\*.u
Paths=..\System\*.u

There are tons of .u files in ..\System\ but only DeusEx.u in the HDTP-folder. Since the HDTP folder is ABOVE the standard folder it will be HDTP's DeusEx.u that will be loaded, doesn't matter if you have Shifter installed somewhere, the unofficial patch or just the vanilla game. The game can only use one of these DeusEx.u files, and it will pick the one in the folder the furthest up in the .ini file.

What would be awesome though would be if all DeusEx.u mods build on HDTP which in turn build on the unofficial patch. Then you would get HDTP and the unofficial patch no matter what DeusEx.u mod you use, of course the HDTP stuff would only be enabled if the HDTP files exists (much like Shifters support for HDTP).
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Interesting, thanks for the info.

No HDTP compatable gameplay mods yet?

Btw I checked out your website for Revision the other day- great work, looking foward to it!
Will revision be compatable with HDTP too eventually?
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Bjorn: That does rather presuppose that everyone wants to use the unofficial patch, which might not be an entirely accurate assessment. Basing HDTP on the core code rather than any modified stuff seems safer overall.

Plus it's a lot easier to spot bugs when I know exactly what the behaviour SHOULD be.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

DDL wrote:Bjorn: That does rather presuppose that everyone wants to use the unofficial patch, which might not be an entirely accurate assessment. Basing HDTP on the core code rather than any modified stuff seems safer overall.

Plus it's a lot easier to spot bugs when I know exactly what the behaviour SHOULD be.
It does, yes. Then I shall happily combine those two mods after HDTP is Final. :)
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Cybernetic pig wrote: Btw I checked out your website for Revision the other day- great work, looking foward to it!
Will revision be compatable with HDTP too eventually?
Yes, we endeavor do make our mod look the best with New Vision (fixing alignment issues mostly) and HDTP (doesn't really require much work from our part since we stay away from DeusEx.u).