Planet Deus Ex Forums shutting down for good?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Alginon
Mole Person

Planet Deus Ex Forums shutting down for good?

Post by Alginon »

That's what it seems like. All of Forumplanet is being "consolidated" with IGN. That is the message of this thread on the main Gamespy forums.

http://forums.gamespy.com/the_lobby_mis ... 36/p1/?149

Specifically, the posts on 4/24 at 1:03pm and 4/25 8:07am confirm it.

It's not like anybody posts there anymore but I thought people might like to know for sentimental reasons before it disappears. I had some very good times there. That forum ended up impacting my life in ways beyond Deus Ex and even far beyond the boundaries of the internet itself. I guess, like with everything on the internet, this was inevitable, but I'm sad to see it go.

http://forums.gamespy.com/planetdeusex/
ThunderPower
Mole Person

Re: Planet Deus Ex Forums shutting down for good?

Post by ThunderPower »

That's a damn shame. I used to love the Planet sites. It reminds me of when they took down GeoCities, and an entire generation of fansites was lost. I remember you from your sick runs of DX back in the day. Hope the PDX community can find another home somewhere.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

PDX has been a sad shadow of its former self for years now. This is like the death of your dear old grandmother who's had alzheimer's for the past 10 years. You try to remember what she was like when she had her mental faculties, so you can feel sad and mourn her like she deserves. But all you can remember is what an incredible burden she's been, and all you feel is a slight relief.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

Agree
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Jonas wrote:PDX has been a sad shadow of its former self for years now. This is like the death of your dear old grandmother who's had alzheimer's for the past 10 years. You try to remember what she was like when she had her mental faculties, so you can feel sad and mourn her like she deserves. But all you can remember is what an incredible burden she's been, and all you feel is a slight relief.
Your right there. As long as this site stays on-line for the few of us hardcore DXers, I'll be fine. Good to look back at the DX fan sites that used to be.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Alginon
Mole Person

Post by Alginon »

And rises from the ashes.

The other day I stumbled upon a reference to someone who backed up the entirety of Forumplanet before it was deleted.

http://gamespy-archives.quaddicted.com/forums/

That includes Planet Deus Ex. At least back to 2007.

http://gamespy-archives.quaddicted.com/ ... mespy.com/

Now people didn't seem too cut up about the end of PDX. The more important thing, though, is that this backup includes the Nameless Mod forum. It has posts dating right back to March 2002. I'm not sure if this is the forum described as "lost" in the Development Forum Archive here, but I hope this is a happy discovery.

http://gamespy-archives.quaddicted.com/ ... od/b49421/
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

!

That is indeed the lost TNM forum.

Wow.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh god, I sometimes used more than one question mark at a time back then. What embarrassment.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

It's pretty interesting actually.

I'm not sure any other video game/film/cultural product/etc has had a community built around it quite like the one Deus Ex has/had.
Sure, Half-Life has a huge modding community, but it's nothing like this.

It's a shame that I only joined later on, on this forum. PDX seemed like such a cool forum, great atmosphere. Much like the one we have here.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

nerdenstein wrote:It's pretty interesting actually.

I'm not sure any other video game/film/cultural product/etc has had a community built around it quite like the one Deus Ex has/had.
Sure, Half-Life has a huge modding community, but it's nothing like this.

It's a shame that I only joined later on, on this forum. PDX seemed like such a cool forum, great atmosphere. Much like the one we have here.
Yeah new-ish to the online DX community myself, allthough I played the game years before, but it is far smaller than others as a whole tbh. Surely the amount of mods made over the years is representative of that, and the sales of the game.

"but it's nothing like this"

Perhaps if I knew what you meant by "this" i'd agree, but I assume you mean size of the fan base.
Alginon
Mole Person

Post by Alginon »

Jonas wrote:!

That is indeed the lost TNM forum.

Wow.
Cool. I hoped it was. Maybe Oinutter wants to see if he can put of copy on the website, if he's still in charge of that sort of thing.

My favorite part is all the very optimistic release date promises. In the small sampling of threads I looked at I saw promises of 2002, 2003, and 2005. I don't mean to poke fun, I know about what happened and why it takes so long. It's just cute more than anything.

It also took me a long time to realise that Snoebelbloep is you. I was thinking who is this person who was so involved in TNM at the beginning and how did they manage to completely erase his name from the project better than even Stalin could before it clicked.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

I like how everyones like "meh, who cares" and "it should have died earlier, no-one misses it" when Alginon says that PDX will be gone,

then like "WOW!" and "Interesting! There is nothing like this!" when he mentions about the lost TNM forum content.

Well, I guess everyone by himself...
:roll:
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I'm more excited that Alginon's back, really. He's fun.

Also, insane.
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

Haha, "Treskon"
x51
Thug

Post by x51 »

PlanetDeusEx forum now has been moved to separate domain, like Goat city :)

Here it is (image clickable 3.62MiB):

To access this server complex, you need find several thousand credits and use teleport to 55.8013533N 37.4782276E, the you need go South approx 250 meters to find the entrance to New Server Complex. Also this territory has heavily guarded by Russian Military Troops. You need find Building #190 and access main elevator to minus 6 floor. PDX server is in 3rd row in HP Blade Rack #24501
Nyet! You can not steal from Hammer and Sickle!