Opinions wanted please

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

GregP
Mole Person

Re: Opinions wanted please

Post by GregP »

nerdenstein wrote: 6. Next job is to install HDTP. Just run the install. Simple as that. :D
In the Data directories, a couple of HDTP lines will have been added. Depending one which mod you wish to use, make sure that either the Shifter line or the two Enhanced lines are above the HDTP lines. If they're not, HDTP will overwrite them.

The way that HDTP works is that it uses its own DeusEx.u to swap out the old models and replace them with the new. The problem is, most mods work by changing some aspect of the DeusEx.u file. Which makes HDTP and most gameplay mods incompatible. However, Yuki (the creator Shifter), found a fix for that which he incorporated into Shifter. Which means that if Shifter and HDTP are installed, Shifter will search for any of the new HDTP models and replace the old ones with the new ones.
Excellent guide here, thanks a lot for putting it together. I'm having a problem with this step, though, presumably because in your directions here you're talking about the original HDTP Beta1 release, as opposed to the newer release here which came out just a few days after your post. With this newer release, following your directions makes NV and DX Enhanced work together nicely, but for some reason parts of HDTP get deactivated. Any idea why this might be? It seems that Shifter no longer recognizes some of the HDTP models .... I guess the models that have been added in the newer HDTP release? Does Shifter work by using a fixed list of objects that may need to be update? Or does it reference the HDTP DeusEx.u file to find the list of objects it should replace?
i5-2500K @ 4.8 GHz / Asus P8P67 Pro / 8GB DDR3-1600 / 2x7970 3GB / Audigy X-Fi / Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Shifter replaces HDTP's DeusEx.u if not litterally (if you have them in the same folder) then figuratively when loading the different files into the game.

In the HDTP's DeusEx.u replaced objects simply have their mesh property changed to the new mesh name, and this is fine if you KNOW those meshes exists (and because you've installed HDTP they do).
Shifter can't assume the player has HDTP, because then Shifter wouldn't work without it. Because of this Shifter goes through a number of hoops to try and determine if HDTP is installed and then on a item to item basis enable the new meshes.

A new version of Shifter is currently in development, and it will include code to load these new HDTP models. Until then it's either the HDTP DeusEx.u with all the HDTP stuff, or it's Shifter with only the older HDTP stuff.
Last edited by bjorn98009_91 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
GregP
Mole Person

Post by GregP »

OK, thanks -- that's what I expected. So just have to wait for the new Shifter then.
i5-2500K @ 4.8 GHz / Asus P8P67 Pro / 8GB DDR3-1600 / 2x7970 3GB / Audigy X-Fi / Windows 7 Pro 64-bit