Opinions wanted please

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

scottrill
Mole Person

Opinions wanted please

Post by scottrill »

Hello all,

I know the makers of mods have already spent tons of their valuable time working on these for us players in the community. I hate to take any more time away from them but I must beg them to.

I will be typing a novel so please forgive me. Also forgive if this is the wrong spot, but since it concerns several mods covered by these forums I didn’t know which one to place it into.

I recently purchased Deus Ex Human Revolutions. I have a mild form of OCD =P~ (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) mainly consisting of obsessive tendencies (I will take an hour to PLAN for a meal that takes me only 30 minutes to actually cook lol) rather than compulsive tendencies (washing hands 7 times etc). You could say my developers (Mom and Dad) left some erroneous code in my cpu (brain) that creates gooberish AI. Unfortunately I was rushed into production too soon without proper beta testing lol and they did not have time to apply a patch to fix me lol

One of my problems is the need to have things in CHRONOLOGICAL order, so before I play Deus Ex Human Revolutions I need to play Deus Ex 1 and 2 again first. I am not upset about that obviously since Deus Ex is one of my all-time favorites, and it has been several years since I have played it. (Now having to go back and read books 1-4 of "A Song of Ice and Fire" when "A Dance with Dragons" truly sucked lol :oops: Don't even ask about Star Wars books lol) So getting Deus Ex 1 up and going on my system was easy enough, but a google search for widescreen tweaks led to me to a deus ex mod page and I discovered all the wonderful mods available.

I have had Deus Ex 1 installed for over a week now, but have been PLANNING :-k on how is the most perfect way to install the mods, and most particularly, what ORDER to install them in.

Mods I wish to use or play are:

ggrotz's DX Loader (found at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11153 )
New Vision
New Vision Hotfix
Revision
HDTP
OTP UI Scaling Fix
Shifter 1.8.4
Deus Ex Enhanced Version 2.0.0
Hotel Carone
Zodiac
The Nameless Mod
Redsun 2020

Now a few notes or desires:

1. I would like to play the prequel 2027 FIRST if possible.

2. Will Zodiac and Hotel Carone have their OWN save folders or will they overwrite regular Deus Ex Saves ie can I play regular Deus Ex Missions and then switch to Hotel Carone or do I need to back up and swap out Save folders etc?

3. Chronologically speaking where in the Deus Ex Timeline would Hotel Carone and Zodiac be? Are the missions in Zodiac the CAUSE of why Paul Denton ends up betraying UNATCO etc?

4. After I have played the prequel mod, Hotel Carone and Zodiac, and the regular Deus Ex missions, can I then install The Nameless mod and Redsun 2020? Or do I need to remove any of the mods first? Like Shifter has issues (though it says not unplayable?) with The Nameless Mod etc. Would be smarter to make a backup of deus ex folder after New Vision and HDTP are installed?

5. When would be the best time to install the Launcher? In New Vision instructions it says to install Kenties Luancher first, (Kenties launcher appears to be Opt UI fix plus modified exe, dont know if it will conflict?) so can I simply install DX Loader in its stead as first step? It appears to be compatible with everything above but readme makes it sound like the launcher should be installed after everything else is?

6. It appears that ggrotz's DX Loader sets all the .ini settings is this correct?

So after a week of reading forum after forum and readme.txt after readme.txt and changing my mind a thousand times lol here is my game plan:

1. Installed Deus Ex 1 GOTY (Done)

2. Make backup zip of Vanilla Deus Ex folder (Done)

3. Install OPT ui fix

4. Drag NV Textures folder over to Deus Ex folder

5. Copy NV Textures hotfix files into NVTexttures folder

6. Copy Kentie's DX10 Version 27 folder contents into Deus Ex system folder

7. Install HDTP

8. Make Backup Zip file of Deus Ex Folder

9. Install Revision

10. Install Shifter (Using Advanced Installation Instructions)

11. Install Deus Ex Enhanced Version 2.0.0

12. Install 2027 mod

13. Install ggrotz's DX Loader (Choose 2027 Mod, 3d renderer, screen res, checkmark all third party options except "enbs series")

That is my plan just to get the prequel going, then Ill tackle when to play Zodiac and Hotel Carone etc and finally after all done with those tackle The Nameless Mod and Redsun 2020 lol Which I am hoping all I need to do for nameless mod is go BACK into DX Loader and UNCHECK "shifter" under third party options.

Does the above plan sound good, or is there a more perfect way?

Also want to mention a few things.

1. A big thanks to all modders and folks who keep stuff like this alive =D> =D> =D> =D> . I only thought of mods as being counterstrike to half life, or add on packs for elder scrolls etc. Finding moddb site while searching for widescreen tweaks for Deus Ex, opened my eyes :shock: to a lot of other cool crap. I have lots of star wars games and lo and behold theres folks like you over there as well making uber cool lightsabers and whatnot lol

2. A big thanks for those viewing this thread, =D> =D> =D> I appreciate the time and effort for such help.

3. I joke about my issues, but in NO way do I mean to make light of others or loved ones you may have. I have a good friend who is full blown OCD and likes the number 7 (Cause it is ironically "lucky") and so he washes his hands 7 times, turns on and off a light 7 times etc. I have seen his hands bleeding and raw and yet he still has to wash that 4th, 5th, 6th, and yes 7th time. My heart goes out for folks like him. I am fully aware that my little issues and quirks are pathetic by comparison and that I have no cause to whine or complain.

Thanks all,

Scott

*Edit to make certain words stand out lol
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Re: Opinions wanted please

Post by nerdenstein »

First of all, I can fully appreciate mild forms of OCD such as this as I am very peculiar and fussy shall we say, when it comes to things such as this.

Now then, down to business.
I've not actually used the DXLoader before (sorry ggrotz!) but I've just downloaded it to see how it works.
Okay, I couldn't get it working. :oops:
Perhaps I too, need a clean Deus Ex install.

EDIT: Still couldn't get ggrotz' DXLoader to work. :?

Okay, I had a backup of Deus Ex vanilla. No mods or nothing done to it. Straight off the disc. It might be a good idea to do a backup of the folder now just to be sure.

1. First thing I would do is download Kentie's alternative launcher which can be found here. Once the .zip file has downloaded, place all four files into the Deus Ex/System folder.
I follow this guide quite closely, so maybe bookmark it for future reference. :P
Also, the OTP UI Scaling fix comes with the Kentie launcher so you don't need to worry about that! :smile:

2. Secondly, grab an updated renderer. I use the DirectX 10 renderer but there are others ([http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/]found here[/url]) for OpenGL or DirectX 9 cards. Once that has downloaded, place all the files into the DeusEx/System folder.

If you've seen the New Vision files, it does come with previous versions of both Kentie's launcher and enhanced renderers. These all work but the links I've posted are for updated versions of both, so they're likely to be more stable and have additional features.

3. Next, we'll install New Vision. Here, just stick the NVTextures folder into the root /Deus Ex/ directory. We'll activate it later using Kentie's launcher.
For the hot fix, just copy the hot fix's NVTextures folder again and paste/overwrite the previous NVTextures folder in the /Deus Ex/ folder. Easy. :lol:

4. Next thing to do would be to install Shifter. There are many mods/patches for Deus Ex now that all work and do a similar job to Shifter but what makes Shifter's current build so appealing for me is that it's the only one I've tested to work with HDTP and DXEnhanced.
Because Kentie's .exe is installed, they're very easy to install.
All I would do is, make a new folder in the /Deus Ex/ root folder called Shifter.
Inside that, make a new folder called /System/. So the directory map goes /Deus Ex/Shifter/System
Stick Shifter's files (DeusEx.u and DeusEx.int) in there.
OPTIONAL: I don't know if this is being hosted anymore but Yuki did make a Shifter Texture pack that added additional textures to the new items Shifter added. I'll see if I can dig that out for you.

5. This might be a good time to make sure everything is working.
So run Deus Ex like you would normally and a new program should appear.
You can configure the settings, change your renderer and set your resolution as you see fit using this.
If you're using the newest version from the website, there should be a Data Directories option.
If you click that, so far, it should show you two options in the list.

..\Shifter\System\*.u
and
..\NVTextures\*.utx

If both options are ticked, when you run the game, both Shifter and shiny new textures should be working.

NOTE: If this is all working, I recommend running a backup.

5. Deus Ex Enhanced is another fairly one to install. What I recommend doing is making a copy of the Shifter folder and renaming it to Enhanced. Now, stick the System and Texture folder into the newly made Enhanced folder.
Now, when you run DeusEx.exe and check the Data Directories again, you'll see two new options. Move the two Enhanced options above Shifter so that the game will check for the Enhanced options first and Shifter second. The way it works is that it checks the folders at the top first and if the game can't find it in take folder, it moves onto the next. And so forth. Because Enhanced is an adapted version of Shifter, you'll need to move it above Shifter so that it checks the Enhanced folder first.

6. Next job is to install HDTP. Just run the install. Simple as that. :D
In the Data directories, a couple of HDTP lines will have been added. Depending one which mod you wish to use, make sure that either the Shifter line or the two Enhanced lines are above the HDTP lines. If they're not, HDTP will overwrite them.

The way that HDTP works is that it uses its own DeusEx.u to swap out the old models and replace them with the new. The problem is, most mods work by changing some aspect of the DeusEx.u file. Which makes HDTP and most gameplay mods incompatible. However, Yuki (the creator Shifter), found a fix for that which he incorporated into Shifter. Which means that if Shifter and HDTP are installed, Shifter will search for any of the new HDTP models and replace the old ones with the new ones.

For basic Deus Ex, that's it pretty much done. The other mods install in a slightly different way and may require some tweaking to get working.
I'll cover 2027 and Revision now because you can install the others at a stage when you're ready to play them. And because it's currently 1am and I didn't realize it would take me so long to write this post. :lol:

DEUS EX REVISION
Unfortunately, this is incomplete at the moment but the v1.3 Demo is currently available so that'll have to do. :mrgreen:
Just again, run the installation. Install everything to the root /DeusEx/ folder and that should be okay.
Like HDTP, Revision does come with it's own Desktop Shortcut that you can run. Similarly like HDTP though, I recommend not using that and running the mod through the default DeusEx.exe using Kentie's lovely launcher.
So, back again in the Data Directories option of the new .exe, we can see four new lines added for Revision. Simply make sure they're ticked so that the game looks for those files when it loads the game. If you do wish to use the mods own Desktop shortcut with other mods such as Shifter, New Vision and HDTP, and don't wanna faff around with the config files, the best way would be to replace the Revision.exe in the /DeusEx/System folder with Kentie's launcher. Just get a copy of the Kentie DeusEx.exe and rename it to Revision.exe. Then, when you run the desktop shortcut, go through the process of setting your resolution and selecting what mods you want and then run the game!

This one is slightly different. Again, just run the installation (Preferably version V1.2.1) and install it too the root /Deus Ex/ folder.
This mod does require you to use the Desktop Shortcut so to use New Vision with this mod, you will need to replace the 2027.exe file in the /DeusEx/ folder with another copy of Kentie's launcher renamed 2027.exe.
Because 2027 does alter many of the game files, (specifically the DeusEx.u file) I've not currently found a way to make this mod work with Shifter (and consequently Enhanced) and HDTP.

As for the story aspects, obviously 2027 is a prequel to Deus Ex but the story doesn't make complete sense, especially when you put it next to Human Revolution. I would definitely recommend playing it however but it doesn't have a lot to do with Deus Ex as a series particularly.
ZODIAC takes place just after JC leaves Hong Kong. So ZODIAC takes place between when JC left for New York again and finished just before Area 51 if I remember. There are a few story inconsistencies but nothing major. The ending of Hotel Carone takes place at the same time as JC and Paul betraying UNATCO from what I remember. It's almost an alternate take on how JC left UNATCO I think. Don't quote me on that.
Basically, it's before the Hong Kong missions.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
scottrill
Mole Person

Post by scottrill »

nerdenstein,

Thank you very much for responding. And in a nice list format as well!! I love lists, they are my friends lol

I am making the first back up right now. And I had grabbed the Shifter Texture pack earlier from that mod db site. I didn't know if I should use it since it says Beta, but I guess it was made so long ago, it might as well be called final eh lol

1 question tho:

I wonder about 2027. As stated I have been reading and planning for a week lol I downloaded the 2027 version 1.2.1 but I also found a 2027mod here: http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... 36&t=11155

This one says Shifter or Deus Ex Enhanced are required? And as they are required you would think they would work well together.

The exe one has way more files and will also overwrite the DX10 stuff we installed earlier. It has a folder named 2027 but also a system folder at root level.

But the 2027Mod Rar file does not overwrite anything in the system folder assuming we put it into a 2027 folder like the others?

I might just have to make another backup and install version 1.2.1 and play it a lil, then restore back and install the 2027mod rar file. See what is the deal.

Thanks again, I didn't want you to have to stay up and lose out on ZZZZzzzzz's. You simply rock! =D>

Scott

*Edited* because I answered one of my own questions
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

nerdenstein wrote:First of all, I can fully appreciate mild forms of OCD such as this as I am very peculiar and fussy shall we say, when it comes to things such as this.

Now then, down to business.
I've not actually used the DXLoader before (sorry ggrotz!) but I've just downloaded it to see how it works.
Okay, I couldn't get it working. :oops:
Perhaps I too, need a clean Deus Ex install.

EDIT: Still couldn't get ggrotz' DXLoader to work. :?
The accompanying text explains that you have to look at a few of the paths in the INI file and make sure they're right (compared to Kentie's launchers which have all crashed hard for me except for the v2 one, which crashes AFTER it has run, but that's really off-topic). You shouldn't have to reinstall or have a fresh install of anything. I really know no way to find out in a non-brute force way (in other words adding ALL the subpaths of DX to the INI files) where New Vision, Shifter and HDTP resides. So they have to be specified. The main thing I was going for was to make it highly customizable without actually having to go into the DX ini files for each of the mods themselves. For example, I've run Biomod off of the loader without any problems by using it for the Shifter path.

That said, opening up the INI file reveals all of the settings, strings, and so forth. It also allows you to add different mods if you choose as well as change video settings. There are a number of comments in that file which are meant as documentation. Most of the settings are fine to leave as-is since the program will change them or they are good functioning defaults (besides the specific video parts if there is something weird about your system since I used generically recommended settings from here that Jonas has suggested for TNM). But the ones you have to pay attention to for it to work right are as follows (unless you go with a non-standard path for mods, which in case you would have to look at that section, too):

Code: Select all

; Path to your main DX directory, trailing \ required.
DeusExPath=D:\DeusEx\
; These are paths to the supported third-party appearance/gameplay mods
; uncomment them and make sure they point to the proper directory from DX/System
NVPath=..\NVTextures
HDTPTexPath=..\HDTP\Textures	
HDTPSysPath=..\HDTP\System
ShifterPath=..\Shifter
The biggest is that DX path, which requires the trailing \ to work. I realize that there are probably ways short of searching drives to find that out (given the different installers), but I wonder about them given my experiences of running multiple copies of DX. The rest will only be an issue if you run those things. Commenting the specific lines will gray out the option. For example, NVPath is the path to the New Vision textures, and will be the path used if the New Vision option is selected. The next two are for HDTP, which corresponds to the first beta (not what DDL is doing) and the last is for Shifter.

Given the settings above:

The Deus Ex path is D:\DeusEx\
The New Vision path is D:\DeusEx\NVTextures
The HDTP texture path is D:\DeusEx\HDTP\Textures
The HDTP system path is D:\DeusEx\HDTP\System
The Shifter path is D:\DeusEx\Shifter

I apologize if the current documentation isn't explanatory enough on this issue. But if it's something else other than a settings issue, please let me know - I'd like to fix it. Or if there are suggestions on making this process any better than it is (I've thought of a settings page for above, but really haven't had the time), please let me know that too.
Last edited by ggrotz on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

You need to control those odd OCD's. Channel them into Deus Ex. :)

It's a ritual to play DX1 once every year, where have you been? ...Planning meals instead ;)
scottrill wrote: I have a good friend who is full blown OCD and likes the number 7 (Cause it is ironically "lucky") and so he washes his hands 7 times, turns on and off a light 7 times etc. I have seen his hands bleeding and raw and yet he still has to wash that 4th, 5th, 6th, and yes 7th time.

:-s
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

scottrill wrote: 6. It appears that ggrotz's DX Loader sets all the .ini settings is this correct?
Just noticed this. Anyway, as I wrote above, you need to check the INI with the executable if you are to use it, and then it should make all the INI settings for the other mods (even to the point you can just click the icon for each mod from there on out if you don't do anything too weird).
scottrill
Mole Person

Post by scottrill »

Awesome new replies,
Cybernetic pig wrote:You need to control those odd OCD's. Channel them into Deus Ex. :)

It's a ritual to play DX1 once every year, where have you been? ...Planning meals instead ;)

:-s
Cybernetic pig,

Lol, I tell you what. I haven't played Deus Ex 1 for however many years it has been since Deus Ex Invisible Wars came out. I always have to go back and play them chronologically lol This particularly sucks for books, like the Star Wars universe lol It is also I think the sole reason why I have avoided playing Elder Scrolls Morrowind or Oblivion or Skrym lol My brain wants me to go back and play old school Dos Daggerfalls and crap lol I just don't have the time for that. I cant count the hours I spent on Daggerfalls, to do it again would make me brain dead.

I am looking forward to Deus Ex Human Revolution though, and replaying Deus Ex 1 will be a treat. I wasn't too crazy about Invisible Wars, but I can burn through that one :) lol
ggrotz wrote:
The accompanying text explains that you have to look at a few of the paths in the INI file and make sure they're right (compared to Kentie's launchers which have all crashed hard for me except for the v2 one, which crashes AFTER it has run, but that's really off-topic). You shouldn't have to reinstall or have a fresh install of anything. I really know no way to find out in a non-brute force way (in other words adding ALL the subpaths of DX to the INI files) where New Vision, Shifter and HDTP resides. So they have to be specified. The main thing I was going for was to make it highly customizable without actually having to go into the DX ini files for each of the mods themselves. For example, I've run Biomod off of the loader without any problems by using it for the Shifter path.

That said, opening up the INI file reveals all of the settings, strings, and so forth. It also allows you to add different mods if you choose as well as change video settings. There are a number of comments in that file which are meant as documentation. Most of the settings are fine to leave as-is since the program will change them or they are good functioning defaults (besides the specific video parts if there is something weird about your system since I used generically recommended settings from here that Jonas has suggested for TNM). But the ones you have to pay attention to for it to work right are as follows (unless you go with a non-standard path for mods, which in case you would have to look at that section, too):

DeusExPath=D:\DeusEx\
; uncomment them and make sure they point to the proper directory from DX/System
NVPath=..\NVTextures
ShifterPath=..\Shifter
The biggest is that DX path, which requires the trailing \ to work. I realize that there are probably ways short of searching drives to find that out (given the different installers), but I wonder about them given my experiences of running multiple copies of DX. The rest will only be an issue if you run those things. Commenting the specific lines will gray out the option. For example, NVPath is the path to the New Vision textures, and will be the path used if the New Vision option is selected. The next two are for HDTP, which corresponds to the first beta (not what DDL is doing) and the last is for Shifter.

Given the settings above:

The Deus Ex path is D:\DeusEx\
The New Vision path is D:\DeusEx\NVTextures
The HDTP texture path is D:\DeusEx\HDTP\Textures
The HDTP system path is D:\DeusEx\HDTP\System
The Shifter path is D:\DeusEx\Shifter

I apologize if the current documentation isn't explanatory enough on this issue. But if it's something else other than a settings issue, please let me know - I'd like to fix it. Or if there are suggestions on making this process any better than it is (I've thought of a settings page for above, but really haven't had the time), please let me know that too.

ggrotz,

Don't apologize for anything man, Christ do you know how long it would take me to just to PLAN a dx loader lol I would be old and toothless before I even edited the first file. roflamo

I do have a few questions though:

1. With nerdenstein's kind help I have already begun the process. If I give your loader a go at the same time as Kentie's is installed will it cause issues?

2. Will it play nice with the newer versions of d3d rendering and what not?

I thank both of you for taking the time to post up.

Thanks =D> =D>

Scott
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

@ggrotz
Yeah I had a look at the path lines in the DXLoader config files and they were the same. Yet, when I ran the .exe, it told me that the DeusExPath wasn't specified. :?
I have tried running as Admin and all that.
I wonder about 2027. As stated I have been reading and planning for a week lol I downloaded the 2027 version 1.2.1 but I also found a 2027mod here: http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... 36&t=11155

This one says Shifter or Deus Ex Enhanced are required? And as they are required you would think they would work well together.
That mod is for Deus Ex. It basically adds the weapons from 2027 into Deus Ex. The packages required means it needs Shifter to run. :P
However, 2027 will simply not run correctly with Shifter and HDTP nor will it run through DeusEx.exe by modifying the Data Directories unfortunately. Which is a shame.

However, I believe that mods like Redsun 2020, ZODIAC and Hotel Carone do run with Shifter (and Enhanced and HDTP as a result).
And I know that TNM works with HDTP and Shifter.
The exe one has way more files and will also overwrite the DX10 stuff we installed earlier. It has a folder named 2027 but also a system folder at root level.

But the 2027Mod Rar file does not overwrite anything in the system folder assuming we put it into a 2027 folder like the others?

I might just have to make another backup and install version 1.2.1 and play it a lil, then restore back and install the 2027mod rar file. See what is the deal.
Not sure what you mean by this. I've installed the 2027_1.2.exe and then the 2027_1.2.1_Patch.exe...
Oh, actually. Yes, the .exe does seem to replace the DirectX10 renderer with an older version. Which is strange because 2027 uses a modified version of the DirectX9 renderer called ENBSeries that gives it that crazy bloom and bump mapping features.

Maybe I'll download the .rar version and see how that installs.

Just bare in mind that, mods that come with there own Desktop Shortcut usually require you to run that shortcut or the mods won't load. The work around I spoke about above for HDTP and Revision are the only exceptions to that. TNM, ZODIAC etc will require you to run the Shortcuts to work.

All this has made me install Deus Ex again! Maybe I'll give 2027 another playthrough whilst I wait for DDL to upload the HDTP Beta. :mrgreen:
scottrill
Mole Person

Post by scottrill »

nerdenstein wrote:

That mod is for Deus Ex. It basically adds the weapons from 2027 into Deus Ex. The packages required means it needs Shifter to run. :P
However, 2027 will simply not run correctly with Shifter and HDTP nor will it run through DeusEx.exe by modifying the Data Directories unfortunately. Which is a shame.

However, I believe that mods like Redsun 2020, ZODIAC and Hotel Carone do run with Shifter (and Enhanced and HDTP as a result).
And I know that TNM works with HDTP and Shifter.

All this has made me install Deus Ex again! Maybe I'll give 2027 another playthrough whilst I wait for DDL to upload the HDTP Beta. :mrgreen:
nerdenstein,

Thanks again for all your help. Please don't stay up till the wee hours of the mornin again helping me. Losing sleep should solely be used for leisure activities lol

I found out the hard way about the 2027mod. In my week of planning I did alot of googling and forum reading about which mods were compatible with which. I found that post searching for "2027 mod and Shifter Compatibility" I didn't realize they meant it was a mod of a mod lol Kinda Ironic huh lol 2027 is a modification of Deus Ex and then they take parts of the mod and modify the original lol

Anyway, yeah I spent about 10 minutes scratching my head on why 2027 maps looked EXACTLY the same as Deus Ex lol It wasn't until I started comparing the maps in the exe vs the mod that I figured it out lol

I too received errors trying to run 2027 version 1.2.1 with Kenties loader. I did however, put back the newer DX 10 files into place from a backup and using ggrotz's DX Loader I can get it to run. I am currently playing it with Shifter, HDTP, and New Vision turned on. The only thing I apparently cant seem to use in ggrotz's Dx Loader is the Dues Ex Enahnced, which you said is based off Shifter correct? I havent played in so long and as I am unfamiliar and brand new to mods I couldn't begin to say what is kicking in and what is not. But "To my eyes" 2027 looks better with ggrotz's loader running Shifter, HDTP, and New Vision than the vanilla install I did without Shifter and HDTP. But again with my unseasoned eye it could just be a placebo effect. Is there any test I can do while in the mod 2027 to test and make sure shifter is kicking in properly?

My dxloader ini file is:

[Configs]
; Configuration Options for the menu system involving command-parms.  You do not need to touch these.
LastRun=Project 2027
Cheats=True
SafeMode=False
UseMyDocuments=False
DeusExPath=P:\32 bit\DeusEx\
NVPath=..\NVTextures
ShifterPath=..\Shifter

[RenderFiles]
; This section enables detection of specific renders (v1.02), which will make the loader not show options
; for renderers not present even if a configuration is listed below.  You should not have to touch this at all,
; unless something like a DirectX 11 or 12 renderer becomes available for Deus Ex, which in that case 
; adding the renderer file here in the proper format along with the settings below will cause the loader to
; support the new renderer fully.
OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.DLL
D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice=D3DDrv.dll
D3D8Drv.D3D8RenderDevice=D3D8Drv.dll
D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice=D3D9Drv.dll
D3D10Drv.D3D10RenderDevice=D3D10Drv.dll

[Detects]
; These are detection strings for the sections below, which are shown on the menus.
; Add new strings to support new mods or renderers, or edit the strings on the right 
; if you don't like the string that is displayed on the menu for some reason. 
; <Section Name below>=<Friendly Name on Menu>
TNM.EXE=The Nameless Mod
DEUSEX.EXE=Deus Ex
2027.EXE=Project 2027
BURDEN.EXE=Burden of 80 Proof
CASSANDRA.EXE=The Cassandra Project
DERZEITMANN.EXE=Der Zeit Mann
REDSUN2020.EXE=Redsun 2020
ZODIAC.EXE=ZODIAC
CARONE.EXE=Hotel Carone
REVISION.EXE=Deus Ex Revision Demo
OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice=Open GL
D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice=DirectX 7 (DX Default)
D3D8Drv.D3D8RenderDevice=DirectX 8
D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice=DirectX 9
D3D10Drv.D3D10RenderDevice=DirectX 10

; Mod support section.  Name of executable used is the section (in ALL CAPS).  Each one specified must have 
; the three lines specified correctly.  They are typically pathed from the "DeusExPath" named above.
; You can find this information from the shortcut each mod uses, as well as the location of the save directory.
; Notes for Hotel Carone: It has all its own information but uses the DEUSEX.EXE file.  For this loader to
; support it, copy DEUSEX.EXE to CARONE.EXE and it will run normally.

[DEUSEX.EXE]
IniFileName=System\DeusEx.ini
UserIniName=System\User.ini
LogFileName=System\DeusEx.log
SaveGamePath=Save

[TNM.EXE]
IniFileName=TNM\System\TNM.ini
UserIniName=TNM\System\TNMUser.ini
LogFileName=TNM\System\TNM.log
SaveGamePath=TNM\Save

[2027.EXE]
IniFileName=2027\System\2027.ini
UserIniName=2027\System\2027User.ini
LogFileName=2027\System\2027.log
SaveGamePath=2027\Save

[BURDEN.EXE]
IniFileName=System\burden.ini
UserIniName=System\burdenUser.ini
LogFileName=System\burden.log
SaveGamePath=burden\Save

[CASSANDRA.EXE]
IniFileName=System\Cassandra.ini
UserIniName=System\CassandraUser.ini
LogFileName=System\Cassandra.log
SaveGamePath=Cassandra\Save

[DERZEITMANN.EXE]
IniFileName=System\DerZeitMann.ini
UserIniName=System\DerZeitMannUser.ini
LogFileName=System\DerZeitMann.log
SaveGamePath=DerZeitMann\Save

[REDSUN2020.EXE]
IniFileName=System\Redsun2020.ini
UserIniName=System\Redsun2020User.ini
LogFileName=System\Redsun2020.log
SaveGamePath=Redsun2020\Save

[ZODIAC.EXE]
IniFileName=System\Zodiac.ini
UserIniName=System\ZodiacUser.ini
LogFileName=System\Zodiac.log
SaveGamePath=ZODIAC\Save

[CARONE.EXE]
IniFileName=HotelCarone\System\hotelcarone.ini
UserIniName=System\User.ini
LogFileName=System\HotelCarone.log
SaveGamePath=HotelCarone\Save

[REVISION.EXE]
IniFileName=System\Revision.ini
UserIniName=System\RevisionUser.ini
LogFileName=System\Revision.log
SaveGamePath=Revision\Save

; Renderer section.  Any renderers the loader sets up will be specified below.  Change the settings here
; and they will be copied (or added if not present) to whatever mod that is run.

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
UseS3TC=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True
UseTNT=1
MinDepthBits=16
MaxLogUOverV=8
MaxLogVOverU=8
UseMultiTexture=1
UsePalette=1
UseAlphaPalette=0
ShareLists=0
AlwaysMipmap=0
DoPrecache=0
UseTrilinear=False
MaxAnisotropy=0
SupportsLazyTextures=0

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
UseS3TC=True
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
UseMipmapping=True
UseTrilinear=False
UseMultitexture=True
UsePageFlipping=True
UsePalettes=True
UseFullscreen=True
UseGammaCorrection=True
DetailTextures=True
Use3dfx=False
UseTripleBuffering=True
UsePrecache=False
Use32BitTextures=False
DescFlags=1
dwDeviceId=369
dwVendorId=4318
UseVertexFog=False
UseAGPTextures=False
UseVideoMemoryVB=False
UseVSync=False
Description=Basic DX D3D Setting

[D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
ZRangeHack=False
NoAATiles=True
NumAASamples=4
UseAA=True
UseSoftwareVertexProcessing=False
UsePureDevice=True
UseTripleBuffering=True
MaskedTextureHack=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
SceneNodeHack=True
FrameRateLimit=0
SwapInterval=-1
UseFragmentProgram=False
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE2=True
UseSSE=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
DetailMax=2
RefreshRate=0
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=16
Use565Textures=True
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=True
UseTrilinear=False
UsePrecache=False
UseMultiTexture=True
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
OneXBlending=True
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
GammaOffsetBlue=0
GammaOffsetGreen=0
GammaOffsetRed=0
GammaOffset=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=0.000000
DetailTextures=True
DescFlags=0
Description=
HighDetailActors=True
Coronas=True
ShinySurfaces=True
VolumetricLighting=True

[D3D10Drv.D3D10RenderDevice]
Coronas=True
DetailTextures=True
ShinySurfaces=True
HighDetailActors=True
VolumetricLighting=True
Precache=False
Antialiasing=8
Anisotropy=8
VSync=True
ParallaxOcclusionMapping=False
LODBias=0
BumpMapping=True
ClassicLighting=True
AlphaToCoverage=False
AutoFOV=False
FPSLimit=60
simulateMultipassTexturing=False
unlimitedViewDistance=False
DescFlags=0
Description=D3D10

[D3D8Drv.D3D8RenderDevice]
ZRangeHack=True
NumAASamples=0 // Set to max antialiasing of card
UseAA=True
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
UseSoftwareVertexProcessing=False
UsePureDevice=False
UseTripleBuffering=True
MaskedTextureHack=True
FrameRateLimit=200
SwapInterval=1 // Set to 0 for no vsync, 1 to enable it. -1 for default
UseVertexProgram=False
TexDXT1ToDXT3=True // Only needed for NVIDIA cards
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE=True
BufferTileQuads=True
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailMax=2
RefreshRate=75 // Set to highest refresh rate your monitor supports (ex: 85) Default if set to 0.
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=0 // Set to highest Anisotropy your card can handle
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=True // Set to true if you use the S3TC textures on cd 2 (False for me)
UseAlphaPalette=True
UseTrilinear=True
UsePrecache=True
UsePalette=True
UseMultiTexture=True
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=False
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=0.000000 // Negative values to sharpen textures. (ex: -1.5) Looks bad with S3TC on, keep at 0 if you're using them.
DetailTextures=True
DescFlags=0
Description=Video card Here// Put your graphics card's name here if you want to
HighDetailActors=True
Coronas=True (set to false for me)
ShinySurfaces=True
VolumetricLighting=True

Only things I have been playing with is under DX10 settings I have set "AlphaToCoverage" to true and some other little trial and error deals. I also played with the ParallaxOcclusionMapping setting but it cause errors that I couldn't find even in google lol

Screenshot of settings I am using:
dx.PNG
I can test easily things like Optical UI scaling which by the way, is there a way to adjust the optical UI scaling? I like the smoothness of the optical scaling but on my screen the aug icons and inventory belt icons become so small lol I am no spring chicken lol I am a chicken that is one leg away from the slaughter house with BAD eyesight lol If I could slice the scaling in half it would be perfect.

Couple more questions. I have switched in time from wasd to using the arrow keys (you may commence laughing lol I'm old now and care very little about being l33t lol the damn arrow keys are more comfy to my carpal tunnel syndrome :lol: ) So I would prefer to use the numpad keys instead of the function and top number keys, is there a way to manually bind stuff where I want it?

Thanks again to all who have responded and helped. And thanks as well to the mod makers, your time is a true to gift to the community.

Scott
scottrill
Mole Person

Post by scottrill »

nerdenstein wrote:

Not sure what you mean by this.

Hell nerdenstein,

I don't even know what I meant by that roflmao. Remember in my first post the whole part about my parents not beta testing me properly?? Case in point lol

Nah funny thing, I sat there for like 10 minutes trying to figure out how to explain what I was trying to explain lol I guess for you to understand it, you would have to be under the assumption as I was, that they were the SAME mod, but just different versions. I was trying to ponder why one version would have dx10 settings and not the other one or something like that lol Anyway, don't waste any time trying to figure out my sentences lol Your brain and wife will both thank you.

Scott
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Funny thing is, I still can't get ggrotz' DX loader to work. :evil:
I can kinda see how it works however. It's essentially a nicer UI for Kentie's Data Directories feature which is lovely.

You may have Shifter ticked in the DXLoader but chances are, Shifter won't actually have loaded because 2027 will be using it's own DeusEx.u file instead of Shifter. If it was using Shifter mod however, I suspect the game wouldn't work quite how it's supposed to. I don't think I found a way to get HDTP working with it either if I'm honest so maybe I need to do some tweaking.

Enhanced won't work with 2027 either. Not only because Shifter shouldn't work with 2027 but also because both Enhanced and 2027 make alterations to the UI. Enhanced was made to enhance the original Deus Ex's UI whilst 2027 has made subtle changes to it to suit the additions that the mod provides.
Your brain and wife will both thank you.
It's no problem my friend. I hope my tutorials above weren't too confusing or badly written. My brain is fine (I think :lol: ) and I don't have a wife so we're safe there too. ;)

EDIT: No, it doesn't appear to be possible to implement HDTP into 2027 due to it's incompatible DeusEx.u files.
I know that The Nameless Mod, Redsun 2020 and ZODIAC should work fine with HDTP however because they're also compatible with Shifter.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

nerdenstein wrote: However, 2027 will simply not run correctly with Shifter and HDTP nor will it run through DeusEx.exe by modifying the Data Directories unfortunately. Which is a shame.

However, I believe that mods like Redsun 2020, ZODIAC and Hotel Carone do run with Shifter (and Enhanced and HDTP as a result). And I know that TNM works with HDTP and Shifter.
A lot of this depends on how the mod was written and how much of it was replaced. Shifter works with anything that's generically DX (save gameplay related issues since it unbalances a lot of things). As long as the mod in question generally reflects the standard Deus Ex in DeusEx.u, Shifter will work. Now, I understand the Shifter author took great pains to get it to work with TNM and HDTP, but those are exceptions to the rule. I wouldn't expect Shifter to work with 2027 since the authors of that mod changed things too much.

2027 does work with New Vision. There are enough 2027 specific textures that they will be hard to find, but they are there. However, you won't get much graphical benefit with HDTP in 2027 since most all the equivalent objects there are 2027-specific (the disclaimer of this being the public version and not anything DDL is doing).
scottrill wrote: I too received errors trying to run 2027 version 1.2.1 with Kenties loader.
Probably because there is enough changed compared to the standard DX.
scottrill wrote: The only thing I apparently cant seem to use in ggrotz's Dx Loader is the Dues Ex Enahnced, which you said is based off Shifter correct?
I haven't tried this particular enhancement, but since it's based off of Shifter you probably could run it through the Shifter option as long as the proper files are there.
scottrill wrote: Is there any test I can do while in the mod 2027 to test and make sure shifter is kicking in properly?
They're probably incompatible. But the easiest first thing you'll notice if Shifter is present and running will be that you will be getting skill points for kills.
scottrill wrote: I can test easily things like Optical UI scaling which by the way, is there a way to adjust the optical UI scaling? I like the smoothness of the optical scaling but on my screen the aug icons and inventory belt icons become so small lol
One thing I'd love to look into with trying to learn DX modding in and of itself is doing some scale mods. What they did was great for the time Deus Ex came out, but with the higher resolutions and so on, you get scaling issues like the appearance of the toolbelt menu. The biggest problem though (in vanilla DX, 2027 is fine since they modded this entirely), is the weapon scope, which is hard to use because it offers so little FOV. It'd be nice to be able to have these scale according to resolution, but I'm not sure how possible it would be. I know it can't be done with the INI files. A fix like this would be great for something like the Deus Ex 2.0 patch that some are planning.
scottrill wrote: Couple more questions. I have switched in time from wasd to using the arrow keys (you may commence laughing lol I'm old now and care very little about being l33t lol the damn arrow keys are more comfy to my carpal tunnel syndrome :lol: ) So I would prefer to use the numpad keys instead of the function and top number keys, is there a way to manually bind stuff where I want it?
This, however, is in the INI files. Go through the executable in question, though, since getting the right options down can be very tricky if you edit these files manually.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

nerdenstein wrote:@ggrotz
Yeah I had a look at the path lines in the DXLoader config files and they were the same. Yet, when I ran the .exe, it told me that the DeusExPath wasn't specified. :?
I'll look into it.
scottrill
Mole Person

Post by scottrill »

ggrotz wrote:
scottrill wrote: The only thing I apparently cant seem to use in ggrotz's Dx Loader is the Dues Ex Enahnced, which you said is based off Shifter correct?
I haven't tried this particular enhancement, but since it's based off of Shifter you probably could run it through the Shifter option as long as the proper files are there.
So I would have to pick one or the other is this correct? Or if I did the shifter advanced install, could I tell SHIFTER to use Deus Ex Enhanced, and then just leave Shifter enabled in DX Loader?
ggrotz wrote:
scottrill wrote: I can test easily things like Optical UI scaling which by the way, is there a way to adjust the optical UI scaling? I like the smoothness of the optical scaling but on my screen the aug icons and inventory belt icons become so small lol
One thing I'd love to look into with trying to learn DX modding in and of itself is doing some scale mods. What they did was great for the time Deus Ex came out, but with the higher resolutions and so on, you get scaling issues like the appearance of the toolbelt menu. The biggest problem though (in vanilla DX, 2027 is fine since they modded this entirely), is the weapon scope, which is hard to use because it offers so little FOV. It'd be nice to be able to have these scale according to resolution, but I'm not sure how possible it would be. I know it can't be done with the INI files. A fix like this would be great for something like the Deus Ex 2.0 patch that some are planning.
That would be awesome ggrotz, when will you have it done? By Tuesday the 13th of November 2012 I am hoping?? [-o< [-o< [-o<
ggrotz wrote:
scottrill wrote: Couple more questions. I have switched in time from wasd to using the arrow keys (you may commence laughing lol I'm old now and care very little about being l33t lol the damn arrow keys are more comfy to my carpal tunnel syndrome :lol: ) So I would prefer to use the numpad keys instead of the function and top number keys, is there a way to manually bind stuff where I want it?
This, however, is in the INI files. Go through the executable in question, though, since getting the right options down can be very tricky if you edit these files manually.

Awesome, thx for the tips!! Again appreciate all the time folks like you spend helping the community.

Scott
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

nerdenstein wrote:@ggrotz
I have tried running as Admin and all that.
I'm trying to address this at the moment. Could you provide (or copy) the [Configs] section so I can see what is there? Thanks.
scottrill wrote: That would be awesome ggrotz, when will you have it done? By Tuesday the 13th of November 2012 I am hoping?? [-o< [-o< [-o<
FWIW, the HDTP beta has the GEP prospective thing and the scope issue addressed (this part is wonderful!).