Shipyards Keys

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

tetracycloide
Thug

Shipyards Keys

Post by tetracycloide »

So I'm trying to find two nanokeys on the Brooklyn Naval Shipyard level. One for the ammunition bay door (the large corrigated metal one that faces the crane and subpen) and the other for the sewer valve door. When I use my keyring on these doors instead of saying 'It's locked' it says 'You don't have the right key' but I can't find the right key anywhere in the level.
ggrotz
X-51

Re: Shipyards Keys

Post by ggrotz »

Good question. So good that I had to go poke around the level (and go through the sewer for the first time in ages) to see for myself. If they're in squirrley places that are hard to find, that might be part of it. I find them in none of the offices or on any of the NPCs. Most likely they are things that were removed but not quite cleaned up, like the "NSF HQ Basement Key" you will find in the women's bathroom there. Couldn't tell you what it goes to.

The ammunition bay door on the other side is irrelevant since the one on the other side of the building works and you can use the catwalk to cross over to the other side anyway and (I recall) explosive barrels are there, so you can push them against the door and open it that way. The sewer shut off grate is another story, if you desire to go that way. You can lockpick past it or blow it up (or run to the door and use the code or multitool that). I think it might be openable using the security computer in the ammunition depot building too. Perhaps a key to this was removed to make you have to sneak up into some of the buildings to remove the security.

But regardless, the only way to be sure is to load the level up in the SDK, which I don't have installed right now (and don't have a whole lot of time to do right now), and locate all the keys in the level. Hopefully someone can do that and make the answer clear on this.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I've used the UnrealEditor and searched the level. The first key to that ammunitions building does not exist due to a typo. The key for that door has the ID 'WeaponsWarehouse' while the key itself has the ID 'WeaponWarehouse', the key works on the other huge door on the other side of the building though. The key to the valve door does not exist in the level, however there is one key that lacks an ID and has the description 'Key to Supply Closet'.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

That's some good info; do you know of any other key mismatches or similar problems? Shouldn't be too hard to fix.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Nope, haven't really looked into it before now. I will do a overview of the keys/movers in all vanilla levels when I have the time, and then I'll post any issues I discover. Will be fixed in Revision regardlessly. :)
tetracycloide
Thug

Post by tetracycloide »

There's an actual closet with supplies in it right near where you get the 'Key to the Supply Closet' but that key doesn't open that door. I always assumed that was some kind of bug.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

It must be. The problem is that the key (in a desk nearby) has "SupplyCloset" set as its tag instead of its KeyID.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Oh, didn't see that, now that is fixed as well :)
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Quick question: How are you using UnrealEd to search for those keys? I'm pretty bad at the editor myself, but then again, it's an abomination of an old VB6 program, so I don't blame myself.
Last edited by G-Flex on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I use the hacked version of UnrealEd2, it has a search feature that can search for names, events and tags. Since name always is the classname plus a number you can use it to find all the NanoKeys for example. The editor is included in the DX: Editing Pack.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Something to keep in mind: Keys held by NPCs don't exist as objects on the map, and are spawned and distributed by the map's PickupDistributor instead. When looking for keys, you'd want to include those.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Thanks for the tip!