Tweaks that wont change DeusEx.u?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Tweaks that wont change DeusEx.u?

Post by Cybernetic pig »

So DeusEx.u is the big one that shouldnt be touched by a newb, especially since there are plenty of pro-made mods out there already, so my noob mod would not even be compatable with them(unless compiled on top of).

So I ask- is there anything worth tweaking that isnt related to DeusEx.u? I am unsure of what goes in .u and what doesn't except textures (New Vision got this covered) Maps (revision) objects (HDTP) and music (i'm already looking into this)

HUD? I want to move the toolbar over to the far left, next to weapon ammo info box so the toolbar is no longer blocking the view of HDTP guns.

Can I have a quick summary of tweakable stuff that doesnt relate to DeusEx.u?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: Tweaks that wont change DeusEx.u?

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Anonymous wrote:If you want to do some simple modification of existing Deus Ex items, maps, etc. (i.e. you're not making your own) then you'd have to modify deusex.u I think, yeah.
This is incorrect, right?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Maps are stored as separate files, so you can edit those without affecting DeusEx.u, but make sure not to change anything that would screw up the mission scripts, which are in DeusEx.u. Textures can also be replaced. HDTP is not quite the same case, as it does override DeusEx.u in order to properly replace meshes and skins on objects, which is unfortunate.

I don't really think there's a way to edit the things you're talking about, like the HUD in particular, without editing DeusEx.u. That's where the HUD is stored, and even if you were to make your own HUD class in your own package, the classes in DeusEx.u wouldn't be referencing them anyway. The only way to properly introduce classes from a new package into the game, aside from cheats, is probably by placing them via map editing, or by adding your own map triggers to the maps which replace objects on-the-fly with your new ones, or something like that.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Very insightful, thanks. That is a damn shame it's fussy like that though, and judging by constant remarks about horrible coding for this game + more, I think i'll make my one noob mod and go back to focusing on more important projects. It'll be 2027 by the time I catch up with you guys, I was too late to the party :(
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

However if you are changing the maps you can use your own mission script in your own package.
  • Texts are located in DeusExText.
  • Some UI stuff like the Images are in DeusExUI, which means you can change some of the looks by just swapping out those textures (be warned that Revision will probably have it's own version of DeusExUI for updated Datavault images).
  • Conversations have it's own packages if you want to mess around with those (although it's a mess to recompile those packages again). Again if you have your own map you can have your own conversation packages.
  • All the models and textures for Characters/Items in the world are in DeusExCharacters and DeusExDecos respectively if you need to alter those.
  • Finally all the sound files are in DeusExSound if you would like to change the fire sound of a weapon or something.
Essentially you can change the assets the game uses, like images, sounds, conversations etc. but any changes to actual functionality will have to be done in DeusEx.u
Cybernetic pig wrote: music (i'm already looking into this)
You can use .ogg files with the DX ogg plugin for music. You will however need your own map or change the vanilla missionscript in DeusEx.u to be able to use the music.
Last edited by bjorn98009_91 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:
You can use .ogg files with the DX ogg plugin for music. You will however need your own map or change the vanilla missionscript in DeusEx.u to be able to use the music.
Couldn't you just convert .ogg to .umx to avoid doing that? ..well less quality though.
bjorn98009_91 wrote: Revision will have it's own soundtrack!
Cool!
bjorn98009_91 wrote: [*]Texts are located in DeusExText.
[*]Some UI stuff like the Images are in DeusExUI, which means you can change some of the looks by just swapping out those textures (be warned that Revision will probably have it's own version of DeusExUI for updated Datavault images).
[*]Conversations have it's own packages if you want to mess around with those (although it's a mess to recompile those packages again). Again if you have your own map you can have your own conversation packages.
[*]All the models and textures for Characters/Items in the world are in DeusExCharacters and DeusExDecos respectively if you need to alter those.
[*]Finally all the sound files are in DeusExSound if you would like to change the fire sound of a weapon or something.[/list]
Thanks for all that.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I don't really know how the tracker format works, but I think that's a bit difficult hence the reason for the Ogg plugin. Good luck though! :)
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
bjorn98009_91 wrote:Couldn't you just convert .ogg to .umx to avoid doing that? ..well less quality though.
To avoid a long explanation: No, not really. Well, you sort of can, in a way, but in a really stupid way that you're better off not doing.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Fucking BULLSHIT process just to edit a few gunshot sounds....God damn .u packages
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Yup, package needs to be decompiled and then recompiled. If you use the WOTGreal exporter it goes pretty fast though. :)

Edit:
Although it seems to mess up the directory structure of the sound files. Better use Hexys Deus Ex Extractor and Decompiler to get the sound files and only use WOTGreal for the actual import script.