The "What a Shame" Phenomenon

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

The "What a Shame" Phenomenon

Post by Cybernetic pig »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DAPXMZk2iw

Somebody please explain wtf this is?

Those comments go on for years (I am only prepared to look as far as three) without one single person derailing.
This is not normal human behaviour, surely the work of a bot of some kind?

Theories?
fantsu
UNATCO

Re: The "What a Shame" Phenomenon

Post by fantsu »

My shame is augmented.

:giggle:

"He was a good man. What a rotten way to die."

But seriously, that is one of the best lines of the entire game.
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

fantsu wrote:
But seriously, that is one of the best lines of the entire game.
No way. Yeah it's hilarious but you cant beat having philosophical debates with artificial intelligence or black barmen with australian accents in a chinese club run by the local Triads.

There are tons of hilarious dialogue that rival "what a shame". Though what makes shame funny is that it was unintentional, it was meant to be a reaction to Jojo killing old Renton but because they didnt consider the player killing Renton (by recording dialogue for it or just turning sandra hostile) it turned out hilarious! but im sure you know that :smile:

Sigh i'm sick of typing into google looking for specific DX videos and tons of DX:HR vids turn up!

This one will have to do instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiD-lc3tQC8&noredirect=1

But anyway im still confused regarding the thread topic.
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

There's also this one if you haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc6PommZKWQ
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

There's a reason why "whatashame" and "whatarottenwaytodie" are cheat codes in my mod. That conversation is delicious.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Since nobody cares to offer an explanation as to why there is not ONE single break in the "what a shame" chain in the comments of that vid, I am gonna quickly give G-Flex some requests for his Human Renovation mod. I post here because I see no dedicated thread for it.

-Scope (and probably laser too) can be used underwater, not really a big deal though. Laser is probably possible in real life, not scope though.

-When Laser sight on, crosshair gets turned off please!

- Robot instant recognition of a threat like in 2027, depending on difficulty too maybe? You have probably already done this since since you are focusing on AI. Hope you make it scale with difficulty though because the sentry bots at the airfield would be rediculously difficult if not and poor little noobs would get destroyed. Just something like Hard= reduced time by half, realistic= instant recognition.

-Please increase Recoil on the pistol, shotguns and plasma rifle. Seriously recoil modding only has use on assualt rifle and snipe.

- Also I am sure you are aware that the weapon skills upgrade description lies about reload speed(it doesn't effect R speed at all). Well yesterday I also noticed that it also dramaticly reduces recoil too. Please remove this completely along with the reload speed lie. The skills should effect Accuracy and damage only imo (and movement speed for heavy obviously).

- Perhaps an auto save feature either every loading screen transition, start of every map, or not at all and just remove that SAVING that briefly appears on the screen. Im fed up with all the LIES!

- If you are setting the majority of AI to sniper mode so they react quicker and are more accurate please reduce the % they headshot if you can. Go play 2027 combat playstyle on hard or realistic and see just how insane it is (noticable when you get to Moscow most, and beyond).

- Please reduce Heavy weapons inventory size to 6 blocks instead of 8. This is vital imo.

-can you make the value medkits heal scale with difficulty? hard 25, Realistic 20? Medicine skill needs more weight. Perhaps upgrading it also increases torso health capacity by 10 each upgrade? (so master medicine skill torso has 130pts) since you are buffing AI and nerfing Regen aug this would be especially useful, even though its small.

Thanks. Expect more soon :smile: I was playing without Dx2.0 or Shifter too btw so some may have already been fixed (I have read HuRen readme though so I remember most fixes you have implemented so far).
G-Flex wrote:There's a reason why "whatashame" and "whatarottenwaytodie" are cheat codes in my mod. That conversation is delicious.
I suppose you wont be doing this then:
CP wrote:
it was meant to be a reaction to Jojo killing old Renton but because they didnt consider the player killing Renton (by recording dialogue for it or just turning sandra hostile)
What am I saying, it's too hilarious to fix really.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Just going to address a few points, since I'm bored.
Cybernetic pig wrote: -Scope (and probably laser too) can be used underwater, not really a big deal though. Laser is probably possible in real life, not scope though.
And yet you're fine with the idea that JC's eyes magically handle water contact flawlessly?
-Please increase Recoil on the pistol, shotguns and plasma rifle. Seriously recoil modding only has use on assualt rifle and snipe.
"Please significantly change the default behaviour of pistols and shotguns, the most common weapons in the early game?" Seems a bit sweeping.

Also, if you don't think recoil is a problem, assault shotgun wants a word with you.
- Also I am sure you are aware that the weapon skills upgrade description lies about reload speed(it doesn't effect R speed at all). Well yesterday I also noticed that it also dramaticly reduces recoil too. Please remove this completely along with the reload speed lie. The skills should effect Accuracy and damage only imo (and movement speed for heavy obviously).
Weaponskill strongly affects reloadspeed. Try it with a flamethrower. Recoil also makes perfect sense to me (while, for instance, "damage increase" makes no sense at all if we're being 'realistic').
- Perhaps an auto save feature either every loading screen transition, start of every map, or not at all and just remove that SAVING that briefly appears on the screen. Im fed up with all the LIES!

- Please reduce Heavy weapons inventory size to 6 blocks instead of 8. This is vital imo.

-can you make the value medkits heal scale with difficulty? hard 25, Realistic 20? Medicine skill needs more weight for pros. Perhaps upgrading it also increases torso health capacity by 10 each upgrade? (so master medicine skill torso has 130pts)
-It's saving the map, not 'your game'.

-"Please significantly change the default behaviour of the entire 'heavy weapons' category. (!!!!!!!!!)

-"I am so pro"

I know these "requests" weren't even directed at me, but the imperious tone, dubious fact-checking and hugely sweeping 'suggestions' just aggravated me.

I'm thinking you're better off modding a personal copy of DX rather than requesting someone else make theirs agree with your opinions.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DDL wrote: "Please significantly change the default behaviour of pistols and shotguns, the most common weapons in the early game?" Seems a bit sweeping.
Not at all. It is just a bit of recoil.
DDL wrote: Weaponskill strongly affects reloadspeed. Try it with a flamethrower. Recoil also makes perfect sense to me (while, for instance, "damage increase" makes no sense at all if we're being 'realistic').
I have never noticed it, but since you are probably familiar with the code i'll take your word for it.
DDL wrote:
-It's saving the map, not 'your game'. Well why does it need to tell the player that?

--"Please significantly change the default behaviour of the entire 'heavy weapons' category. (!!!!!!!!!) And?

DDL wrote: I'm thinking you're better off modding a personal copy of DX rather than requesting someone else make theirs agree with your opinions.
[/quote]
I think you are better off holding your tongue. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that post, and if there was, you taking up that unneccesary attitude about it puts you on my level.
Dont make my suggestions out to be worthless. That is your opinion.
DDL

Post by DDL »

I didn't say they were worthless, I simply pointed out they were both sweeping (and in the case of inventory icon alteration, fucking TEDIOUS to implement), and largely personal.....based on the fact that many of them were things that nobody else has commented on, ever, in the years I've been involved DX modding.

Regarding map saving, it's because DX is a game from 1999: back then there would be a significant pause between levels as the previous level's gamestate was saved and the next level loaded. It's telling players that it's DOING something, and hasn't simply crashed.

On modern machines it should flash up so briefly it's surprising you have enough time to read it, really. We're just living in the checkpoint autosave generation, now, so you could be forgiven for misinterpreting what it means (also we've all forgotten how to regularly save our games).

I'll be honest, I removed it from my mod and...you kinda miss those blue messages when they're gone.

Finally, I'm pretty sure if you open user.ini and search for ToggleLaser, and simply add "|ToggleCrosshair" (but without the quotes) to the end of those lines you should get both functions being executed when you press your laser toggle. I would leave another button as togglecrosshair alone just in case level transitions screw things up, though.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DDL wrote:I didn't say they were worthless, I simply pointed out they were both sweeping (and in the case of inventory icon alteration, fucking TEDIOUS to implement), and largely personal.....based on the fact that many of them were things that nobody else has commented on, ever, in the years I've been involved DX modding.
Please take the time to give them another glance, maybe some would be tedious to fix, but most make alot of sense to me. You cannot deny Recoil is non existant on most guns, and my medicine skill idea was pretty neat to give the skill some worth. Skill system shouldnt be taken seriously when it comes to realism. As you said, damage increases, then there's a skill which increases a timer before a pre-placed grenade detonates, one for timer on wearing HazMat suits and so on. I wouldn't have it any other way though because the skill system is too fun.
It looks like they tried to base it around realism, but then just went "fuck it, gameplay takes priority here too".
DDL wrote:(also we've all forgotten how to regularly save our games).
This.
DDL wrote: Finally, I'm pretty sure if you open user.ini and search for ToggleLaser, and simply add "|ToggleCrosshair" (but without the quotes) to the end of those lines you should get both functions being executed when you press your laser toggle. I would leave another button as togglecrosshair alone just in case level transitions screw things up, though.
Thank you. :smile:
DDL wrote:and largely personal.....based on the fact that many of them were things that nobody else has commented on, ever, in the years I've been involved DX modding.
EDIT: nevermind. I'll just add recoil myself.
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

You will receive your answer to the original question as soon as you try to actually comment on that clip.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

What happens, wont let you post? I have no Idea if there is a limit, but that vid is at exactly 1000 comments. Or did something else happen? I haven't got a youtube account...
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

It tells you that your comment is pending approval. Connect the dots.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Oh ok. What a shame.