2027 Music in DX

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

2027 Music in DX

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Download: Link temporarily down.

Adds a 4th music composer to the DeusEx campaign, Mr Oleg Gelo.

- Replaces music in 8 maps where I considered the original tracks to be overused.

- Recommended for those who have played DX campaign more than once.

- Each new track matches the theme of the map perfectly.

- Is compatable with every DX mod that does not alter the map files.

- Also fixes GOTY version not playing NYC_Streets2 music.

All Credit goes to Oleg Gelo of the Project 2027 team. Go play 2027 first if you haven't already.

Thank you to ggrotz for testing.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: 2027 Music in DX

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Update on Hardcore mode:
Attachments
More individualism amoungst the enemy:<br /><br />Better eyesight (range and FOV), quicker reaction times, Better hearing, Different sounds and different appearances for some(note the guy in the screenshot aint wearing tech goggles).<br />There are even female NSF.  <br /><br />The improved AI stats are not the same, most are better (it is a hardcore mod afterall) but there is alot of variation so far, whilst keeping consistency in mind (the gap between is not too dramatic).
More individualism amoungst the enemy:

Better eyesight (range and FOV), quicker reaction times, Better hearing, Different sounds and different appearances for some(note the guy in the screenshot aint wearing tech goggles).
There are even female NSF.

The improved AI stats are not the same, most are better (it is a hardcore mod afterall) but there is alot of variation so far, whilst keeping consistency in mind (the gap between is not too dramatic).
No rebreathers to be found. Focus on swimming related upgades if you want the items down here, there are a few additional pickups added too.<br /><br /> All skills will have equal worth, that is one of the goals anyway
No rebreathers to be found. Focus on swimming related upgades if you want the items down here, there are a few additional pickups added too.

All skills will have equal worth, that is one of the goals anyway
More hazards and other obstacles to give the lesser skills and augs more importance.
More hazards and other obstacles to give the lesser skills and augs more importance.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Are you going to replace the music with new music in .ogg files? Because if that's the case it could be made pretty compatible with Revision, since we are going to use .ogg files too. Then all the user has to do is replace our music files with yours. It would help if we were naming tracks the same though :)

Edit:
Also, not sure how you are going to implement the hardcore mode. It would be a bit more time consuming doing it via code instead of changing the maps, but the download would be significantly smaller and can be modded to work for Revision. If you are not going to change brushes and geometry anyway, I would see this would be the way to go.
Last edited by bjorn98009_91 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:Are you going to replace the music with new music in .ogg files? Because if that's the case it could be made pretty compatible with Revision, since we are going to use .ogg files too. Then all the user has to do is replace our music files with yours. It would help if we were naming tracks the same though :)
Yeah, more compatability the better :smile: Shouldn't be hard.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bjorn98009_91 wrote: Edit:
Also, not sure how you are going to implement the hardcore mode. It would be a bit more time consuming doing it via code instead of changing the maps, but the download would be significantly smaller and can be modded to work for Revision. If you are not going to change brushes and geometry anyway, I would see this would be the way to go.
I fail at coding. I've tried a few times to learn but I lose interest/think I dont have what it takes. But from those attempts I at least have some understanding. Maybe I should keep at it, it's a great skill to have....but I lack the skill points atm.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

The easiest way to find an actor through code would be searching for all actors of that class with a specific tag. However this wouldn't be much use for you, since in vanilla DX maps almost all actors of the same type have the same Tag. Like all the terrorists in the Ton have the tag "Terrorist", tags are only set on stuff that your would want to behave differently. One thing you could do in code is to simply don't care about the tags and instead identifying the actors by their spawn location or possibly with the actors name in the map.

It would be more time consuming doing this than just editing the related pawns in UED, since that would be quite fast. For general settings like "All terrorist should have the following sight radius and sensitivity" it wouldn't be that hard.

I guess we'll implement at least some of the AI stuff in Revision as it makes sense, our goal is to make the game harder :) We will also make it compatible with the HardcoreDx mod, and then it will be truly hard as fuck. :D
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:HardcoreDx mod
Oh!
http://cdn2.gamefront.com/wp-content/up ... jpg?cda6c1
What's with the hud? Does it have simplified gameplay?
Mine has a one up over it- that mod is not compatable with anything else except New Vision because it changes DeusEx.u. At least until you have made it compatable with Revision anyway :)
bjorn98009_91 wrote: It would be more time consuming doing this than just editing the related pawns in UED, since that would be quite fast. For general settings like "All terrorist should have the following sight radius and sensitivity" it wouldn't be that hard.
No female NSF then :( other enemies with varied sounds, varied looks. Less items dropped, different combat behaviour.
For better AI code though you could take a look at G-Flex's HuRen mod or 2027's dx.u
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
Idunno actually, didn't notice anything different about the hud when I tried it on the vanilla maps, haven't tried any of the maps that come with the mod though. It uses mission scripting to add more enemies to the maps and to mess with their AI properties. Haven't actually read through the code that well yet, since support is not implemented yet (focusing first on Shifter and Biomod). Basically what I do is determine what stuff in the mission script files the particular mod has changed and then just make a fork of RevisionMission and copy paste that stuff in there in the right place. Usually the code involves spawning stuff and locations have to be changed. That's about all that's required to make things compatible.

The nightmare begins when you have a few forks and you realize there is a bug in vanilla dx code or some revision code you've written and you have to go through every fork to implement the fix. ^^
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Cybernetic pig wrote: No female NSF then :( other enemies with varied sounds, varied looks. Less items dropped, different combat behaviour.
For the code though you could take a look at G-Flex's HuRen mod or 2027's .u
You could change multiskins and meshes via code, it's just a bit more complicated to "select" the actor you want to change. I would say that almost every thing that has to do with actors in the editor can be done in code too, just a bit more writing instead of clicking. You can spawn triggers, set properties, spawn decoration, pawns and all sort of things from code really. Things you have to do beforehand is to have a PlayerStart, DeusExLevelInfo, Zones (if needed) and ofc lights. ^^
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:
Cybernetic pig wrote:
The nightmare begins when you have a few forks and you realize there is a bug in vanilla dx code or some revision code you've written and you have to go through every fork to implement the fix. ^^
I forgot to mention, I have experience with VPL (noob coding), which was so easy for me, but then I try the real thing it seems so much harder to just do pretty much the same thing.
VPL's only flaw as far as I can tell was once your code starts getting complex things get real messy, keeping it neat is hard. Some bugs drove me mad.

EDIT: Oh and if someone else wanted to copy your code it would be very hard to identify what is what even with comments.
Ok they are some huge flaws, but it's harder to learn the real thing and more time consuming to both learn and execute (assumptions again, I probably just suck).

Have you built Revision on top of DX2.0?
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

:-k
Attachments
These few &quot;terrorists&quot; do not needlessly strafe around like fools. They defend thier position well.
These few "terrorists" do not needlessly strafe around like fools. They defend thier position well.
This guy is a complete pussy. One of those people who do not think for themselves and tag along just because thier friends are doing it. When the shit hits the fan they are nowhere to be seen. You know the type.
This guy is a complete pussy. One of those people who do not think for themselves and tag along just because thier friends are doing it. When the shit hits the fan they are nowhere to be seen. You know the type.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Cybernetic pig wrote: I forgot to mention, I have experience with VPL (noob coding), which was so easy for me, but then I try the real thing it seems so much harder to just do pretty much the same thing.
VPL's only flaw as far as I can tell was once your code starts getting complex things get real messy, keeping it neat is hard. Some bugs drove me mad.

EDIT: Oh and if someone else wanted to copy your code it would be very hard to identify what is what even with comments.
Ok they are some huge flaws, but it's harder to learn the real thing and more time consuming to both learn and execute (assumptions again, I probably just suck).

Have you built Revision on top of DX2.0?

EDIT 2:
(focusing first on Shifter and Biomod).
I need to learn some proper programming languages, then there are no limits with DX, I can make my Iron Sights mod. Or copy code Fast Gamer is using in Nihilhum :D
The syntax of UnrealScript is kind of similar to Java, so try and learn that language. Otherwise it's just looking at a lot of code, see how stuff is implemented and if you are lucky you might find some documentation. I try and comment whenever I write something, but usually not that much needs to be done coding wise in Revision.

Revision's mission scripts are built on Human Renovation's mission scripts actually. However I compared HR, Shifter and DX 2.0 together to see what differed them and then I just picked stuff I liked from the different mods. Like HR has some fixes DX2.0 doesn't have and Shifter might have some stuff (ex. answering machine in the Ton) that isn't included in the other two.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Out of curiosity, how are you increasing vision range?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

AI> Visibility Threshold set lower than 0.010000. Lower values sometimes mean an increase for some reason :-s
It would be nice to have some documentation on what all the values do too.
There are fuck all notable ones for combat which is a let down.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Cybernetic pig wrote:AI> Visibility Threshold set lower than 0.010000. Lower values sometimes mean an increase for some reason :-s
You'll also need to increase the range at which they'll actually check for the player. I believe that's in CheckEnemyPresence() and is, by default, hardcoded at 2500.