Caption the screenshot

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Morpheus
X-51

Caption the screenshot

Post by Morpheus »

Just started another playthrough of Deus Ex and thought, why not do a capture the screenshot? One person posts one or more screens from Deus Ex, which can be also be from a mod like TNM, then another person posts a caption for it. Here is my first one (which made me notice the HDTP mini crossbow isn't attached to JCs hand the same as it is on first person view, but that is beside the point or matters since no ones really going to see the crossbow that way, unless in a mirror like that.)
JC Mirror
JC Mirror
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Jane_Denton
X-51

Re: Caption the screenshot

Post by Jane_Denton »

I already do that on Steam :mrgreen:
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
Blade sword
NSF

Post by Blade sword »

I don't know if I should do that but I have made some Gimp work with one of my stuff
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Morpheus wrote:the HDTP mini crossbow isn't attached to JCs hand the same as it is on first person view
Closest we could get it for all frames of animation for all pawn meshes. I think I prioritised enemies (NSF etc) because you'll actually see it on them more often. :P

The main problem is the hand is expecting a gun, whereas the mesh for the minicrossbow is a wrist-wrap affair, so..conflicts.

C'est la vie.
Blade sword
NSF

Post by Blade sword »

I don't know but usually I would have said that it depends where the original has been placed on people's wrist and also the bone who serves as reference in the third person mesh.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Hah! You think DX uses bones?

Oh god, we wish. It's wholly frame-based animation, and all weapons are rendered relative to the "weapons triangle" (a single invisible poly placed in the palm of the hand). There is only one weapons triangle per animated mesh, so all weapons have to work with that. And the offset of the weapon to that triangle is fixed, so each weapon has to work exactly the same way with all meshes.
Blade sword
NSF

Post by Blade sword »

I see, thanks for all the useful explanations :-k that means my HD weapons will never work under deus ex :(
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

If only the source for DX was public, then it could be updated and patched to the latest version of the Unreal 1 engine along with stuff from the OldUnreal patch. Image skeletal animation, static meshes, facial animation and a lot of bug fixes. But one can only dream.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Blade sword
NSF

Post by Blade sword »

Oh yes, it would have been great. but unfortunately too few games end up to get their source released :(
I wonder if blender 3d can be used to make models for deus ex though ?
And I would like to have infos about the average or polycount limit.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I know that Autodesk 3DS Max works, there is a converter program around to convert meshes into the dx format. No idea about polycount limits and stuff like that, not really a modeler.
Blade sword
NSF

Post by Blade sword »

Does this program do make generic unreal engine compatible files or does it only for deus ex ?
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

3DS Max can export to .3DS files, then you'll need a converter to convert the files into the *_a.3D and *_d.3D files that Unreal/DX are using. There is a command line tool called 3ds2de that converts the .3DS files directly into a format Deus Ex can read. I'm sure there is a similar program that you can use to convert them into the Unreal variant of .3D files.
Blade sword
NSF

Post by Blade sword »

I fortunately can drop .3ds / .fbx formats but that's all what I can do if someone can add further help that would be nice BTW

Also I found something while browsing the editor from deus ex / UT99 it's the brush import with t3d, dxf and asc does those can have something to do with meshes import ?
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

If it says Brush then it's probably a prefab, a file of brushes that make up a geometric construct.

Here's the tool you are looking for 3ds2unr, http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Web ... /Tools.htm
Last edited by bjorn98009_91 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blade sword
NSF

Post by Blade sword »

Thank you sir; I will give it a try and tell if it's successful or not.
I didn't knew that unreal texture had such tools anyways.