Give Me Deus Ex Mode- testers needed

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Give Me Deus Ex Mode- testers needed

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Compatable with HDTP & New Vision.

Please PM me or post here for testing.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:01 am, edited 20 times in total.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Hardcore Mode- testers needed

Post by bobby 55 »

Only a pussy would use a cat launcher. :P

Okay, as I'm on vacation for four weeks from the 28th, count me in. Even if I fail in the gameplay I'll be able to test for HDTP and NV compatibilty.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bobby 55 wrote:Only a pussy would use a cat launcher. :P

Okay, as I'm on vacation for four weeks from the 28th, count me in. Even if I fail in the gameplay I'll be able to test for HDTP and NV compatibilty.
You can always play on normal difficulty or whatever. I was considering putting some floating TNT Above the player spawn point on liberty island docks and having thier filter set to true for all but realistic difficulty, but that would just be mean :)

Hold on i'll PM you the link.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I'll give the hardcore mode a go. I mean if I don't know how to play Deus Ex by now I never will. :D

I probably won't be able to go all out until the 29th...I hope that's okay?

Edit: Got the file downloaded and unzipped.
Last edited by bobby 55 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Sure, whenever's good for you. And thanks.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

Should be interesting.
I can test this too.

One thing:
Possible to reduce the amount of repair bots?
There is way too many of these in the game.
With regen aug it means you can always get full health AND bio-energy from these.
In area51 there is like 10 of these and those make the game too easy.
Maybe just remove half of them from the game.

Maybe just leave the most important locations (like Tongs lab and unatco HQ) or change them so that they can give bio-energy only once or something.

:smile:
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Brilliant suggestion, i'll add that to the list of updates. See how difficult it is with them still in the game first though. PM'd you.

Also there is a bug with the 2027 music in the map Hong Kong_Storage. The music likes to repeatedly swap to combat for some reason. Im looking for a solution other than just using the default music again. Search actors> music events brings no results, I have no idea what is causing it tbh. It will be fixed soon one way or the other.

Please let me know if it happens to you guys though.
Marcelo
NSF

Post by Marcelo »

Alright Cyber here's some feedback for your beta mod. ;)

- The first thing I noticed is JC still has a med kit on his inventory at the start. (At least in Realistic mode). I think you should get rid of that.

-Paul doesn't seem to notice the enemy NPCs even if they're shooting pretty close to him.

-The enemy line of sight is great but the enemies seems to have the same threshold for vision and for hearing. I think the hearing threshold should me much more higher than the vision.

-It seems that something triggers the bomb in Subway station right after you arrive in Battery Park. Maybe this is due the visual threshold? Maybe you should vary the visual and hearing threshold depending on the maps and their layout so they won't trigger any scripts.

Other than that so far so good for a start. I really enjoyed how the enemies reacted to the situations and it seems that I could do more fun stuff with the new AI behavior than with the Vanilla. I just played through Battery Park so I'll add more feedback later.
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

I am willing to give it a shot, be can we please have your music mod separate from this, please? Keep your music tastes separate.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

VectorM wrote:I am willing to give it a shot, be can we please have your music mod separate from this, please? Keep your music tastes separate.
Ok but you are missing out. The tracks have a similar style to vanilla ones. Unique of course, but they mix well, and its great for long time players to have something different.

I'll upload a seperate version without the music for you, and when the mod is finished there can be two versions too, one with and one without, since others may feel the same way.

We can try again to get along, xmas afterall :smile:
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Marcelo wrote:Alright Cyber here's some feedback for your beta mod. ;)

- The first thing I noticed is JC still has a med kit on his inventory at the start. (At least in Realistic mode). I think you should get rid of that.

-Paul doesn't seem to notice the enemy NPCs even if they're shooting pretty close to him.
I'll look into it.
-The enemy line of sight is great but the enemies seems to have the same threshold for vision and for hearing. I think the hearing threshold should me much more higher than the vision
Stealth would be impossible, it is already pretty damn hard to sneak up behind someone, at least on the bigger maps. Thier hearing is tripled for most. I agree though for hearing gunshots etc but those two stats (footsteps and gunshots) are linked in the hearing threshold, so it's a tradeoff. On the more confined maps they hear great enough, you will get swarmed. It's only noticable on the huge maps, but we cant have stealth being impossible.
-It seems that something triggers the bomb in Subway station right after you arrive in Battery Park. Maybe this is due the visual threshold? Maybe you should vary the visual and hearing threshold depending on the maps and their layout so they won't trigger any scripts.
Yeah it already is varied, that is just something I missed. i'll look into it.
Other than that so far so good for a start. I really enjoyed how the enemies reacted to the situations and it seems that I could do more fun stuff with the new AI behavior than with the Vanilla. I just played through Battery Park so I'll add more feedback later.
Be prepared for some surprises, and how are you finding the challenge?
Marcelo
NSF

Post by Marcelo »

Cybernetic pig wrote: Be prepared for some surprises, and how are you finding the challenge?

Much better than vanilla definitely. I wouln't call it Hardcore, cause the Hardcore mod is really imposible but it definitely feels more realistic than vanilla. It's a shame the player steps and the gunshots are detected the same way, cause it would be great if more NPCs noticed the gunshots from a greater distance in open areas.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Marcelo wrote: Much better than vanilla definitely. I wouln't call it Hardcore, cause the Hardcore mod is really imposible but it definitely feels more realistic than vanilla. It's a shame the player steps and the gunshots are detected the same way, cause it would be great if more NPCs noticed the gunshots from a greater distance in open areas.
Ahh but that would make that mod "Impossible Mod", therefore my mod being titled Hardcore is fine :)

I wasn't aiming for impossible, I wanted more challenge, but not rediculous. From my own playtesting I am satisfied with the difficulty- The enemies feel a constant threat, ammo is scarce enough into forcing me to use more thought and resources I wouldn't normally, and other skills have become (only slightly) more appealing.
But I will make small tweaks such as the repair bots that Fantsu suggested, Aswell as balancing where needed.

I also have plans to recompile HDTP DeusEx.u with nerfs to the dragons tooth, regen aug & more recoil on some guns. So it is far from done (let alone bug reports incoming), but I think the difficulty is on the level I was aiming for.
There are also plenty of changes that are not even hardcore related, just stuff that made sense to me to "fix".

EDIT: Ok fixed Battery Park Bomb and Paul's perception.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Does anyone know of some vanilla level design issues/bugs? Example: In Chow's secret lab I have moved Tongs transmission to activate no matter which way you enter the room, the one with the Dragons Tooth.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Cybernetic pig wrote: Example: In Chow's secret lab I have moved Tongs transmission to activate no matter which way you enter the room, the one with the Dragons Tooth.
Isn't this already the case? In UnrealEd, I'm seeing a DataLinkTrigger at each entrance to that room.

There are definitely some other level design issues, though. Aside from the ones in the readme for my mod, or fixed by Deus Ex 2.0, there are also some mixmatched nanokey/mover pairs, and perhaps some other things I've done (or am doing) for the next version of my mod.

Also: Why can't you compile the changes you mentioned to radiation hazards? Maybe I can help.

And out of curiosity, what's the new aug that MIBs get? I'm too curious. PM me if you don't want to mention it in the thread for spoiler reasons.