Give Me Deus Ex Mode- testers needed

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: Give Me Deus Ex Mode- testers needed

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Going into negative values definately results in a great improvement, but maybe it does stop having an effect at -0.5 onwards or something idk.

Having it at -0.9 has been fine though. There has been no strange behaviour and the vision is perfect imo; across the fucking map! (but reduced if you crouch)

Testers have found no problems with it either.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Anybody know a way to have NPCs carry no ammo for the player to pick up yet not run out of bullets in combat?

Also can code be changed to make shooting on press instead of on hold of the left mouse (excludng assault gun and flamethrower).
Vanilla you can just hold down left mouse and all guns auto fire (within their fire rate restrictions of course), you should have to keep clicking to simulate pulling the trigger each time.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

DDL wrote:FWIW, I did test VisibilityThreshold, and it does indeed tail off at zero (I had excel spreadsheets and everything). Setting it to -0.9 seems to be exactly the same as -0.5 or -0.1 or indeed 0.0: above zero the lightlevel needed for spotting you increases incredibly sharply (it's non-linear, I suspect exponential or similar), such that 0-0.01 covers basically all you could ever need (pawns with values above 0.02 will let you get within a few feet of them even in broad daylight). I'm not ruling out the possibility that sub-zero values make a difference, but if so, it's too subtle for me to pick up.
Cybernetic pig wrote:Going into negative values definately results in a great improvement, but maybe it does stop having an effect at -0.5 onwards or something idk.

Having it at -0.9 has been fine though. There has been no strange behaviour and the vision is perfect imo; across the fucking map! (but reduced if you crouch)

Testers have found no problems with it either.
I'll probably test this myself at some point, just to make sure.

I still have no clue why they're seeing you "across the map". What code are you basing your mod on? In the original code, there is absolutely no way for them to spot you over 2500 units of distance, unless you shoot them or something.
Cybernetic pig wrote:Anybody know a way to have NPCs carry no ammo for the player to pick up yet not run out of bullets in combat?
That stuff is handled in the Frob() function in DeusExCarcass, and depends on the weapon the corpse has on them, not the ammo itself. You'll have to change some logic there to just ignore weapons if you already have them, and not add ammo if you don't. I guess that shouldn't be too hard, and should mostly consist of commenting stuff out.
Also can code be changed to make shooting on press instead of on hold of the left mouse (excludng assault gun and flamethrower).
Vanilla you can just hold down left mouse and all guns auto fire (within their fire rate restrictions of course), you should have to keep clicking to simulate pulling the trigger each time.
In DeusExWeapon.Finish(), you'll see this:

Code: Select all

if ( PlayerPawn(Owner) == None )
{
	//bFireMem = false;
	//bAltFireMem = false;
	if ( ((AmmoType==None) || (AmmoType.AmmoAmount<=0)) && ReloadCount!=0 )
	{
		Pawn(Owner).StopFiring();
		Pawn(Owner).SwitchToBestWeapon();
	}
	else if ( (Pawn(Owner).bFire != 0) && (FRand() < RefireRate) )
		Global.Fire(0);
	else if ( (Pawn(Owner).bAltFire != 0) && (FRand() < AltRefireRate) )
		Global.AltFire(0);	
	else 
	{
		Pawn(Owner).StopFiring();
		GotoState('Idle');
	}
	return;
}
I believe those "bFire" and "bAltFire" parts might be what you're looking for. If you comment out those two parts, that might be sufficient.

Note that you'll probably have to do something similar for SimFinish(), at least if you want it to act the same for multiplayer.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-Flex wrote: I guess that shouldn't be too hard, and should mostly consist of commenting stuff out.
I could probably get it with a trial and error process, but I'd probably also unintentionally fuck the game.
Thanks though, that info will probably be good for future reference.

If you change the firing function yourself though let me know if it works please.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

I don't really have any interest in implementing that, but if you decide to, it probably wouldn't be that hard as long as you make sure it doesn't affect non-player pawns.

At any rate, I tested visual stimuli and how they respond to different VisibilityThreshold values. The reason crouching seems to matter is that your visibility depends on how large you are in terms of CollisionHeight and CollisionRadius, and crouching reduces the former. VisibilityThreshold appears to be a flat offset to the final visibility value of a stimulus, and NPCs seem to respond if that final visibility is above zero. This would seem to imply that a negative VisibilityThreshold would have a greater impact than one of zero would have, but for some reason, that does not seem to be the case. It seems that a visual stimulus is visible from the same distance at any VisibilityThreshold at or below zero. My guess is that the internal logic of the AI (that is inaccessible due to being in native functions) checks for visibility being above zero before attempting to adjust for VisibilityThreshold, so anything that's negative before adjustment won't be considered at all.

Short version: For visual stimulus AI events, the distance at which an NPC can see it doesn't change when VisibilityThreshold dips below zero, because that would only affect stimuli with a negative visibility to begin with, which don't seem to be considered at all.

A VisibilityThreshold of zero does seem to allow NPCs to spot other NPCs from absurd distances across the map. I can't say for sure whether or not a negative value has any effect here, but I sort of doubt it. This would depend on how it affects AICanSee(), and I'd have to test that, but it probably works similarly to what I've described above.

EDIT: The results of AICanSee(), for ScriptedPawns, are in fact influenced by VisibilityThreshold in the same way: It returns a value between 0.0 and 1.0 (just like the visibility or volume score of an AI event), but negative values have little to no effect compared to values of zero. No matter how negative you set it, the result still instantaneously becomes zero at the edge of whatever the normal visibility radius is given other conditions. For instance, if you set it to some absurd value like -7.0, their visibility of you is 1.0 (the maximum) until you reach that edge, at which point it becomes zero. I'm not sure if higher values really matter anyway, since the only real check I can find in ScriptedPawn checks to see that it's above zero, not how high it actually is.
Marcelo
NSF

Post by Marcelo »

Hey Cyber. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to create this mod. I'm having fun playing with it. Are you seriously planning o implement the PS 2 version cut scenes? I think that's a great idea.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Marcelo wrote:Hey Cyber. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to create this mod. I'm having fun playing with it. Are you seriously planning o implement the PS 2 version cut scenes? I think that's a great idea.
I am not capable of doing that. It would be cool though but some may be annoyed with the few lines of cut dialogue.

Glad you are having fun though.
G-Flex wrote:Snip.
I done more testing....you were right it seems :oops:

But then how have I got enemies to spot the player across the map in my mod?

During that test I placed one NSF really far away with 0 VT. He spotted me by some crates as I moved along slowly.
Then I tried again with -0.9 and same result. It seemed exactly 2500 UED units I think.

Yet in my mod I get spotted no limits? I could swear. Perhaps MJ12 and NSF have different CheckEnemyPresence() values? I dont know, I'll probably reluctantly be doing another test playthrough soon anyway.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

[attachment=0]Area 51.jpg[/attachment]

Area 51 will be a true final test of your augmented skills. Behaviour of the grays is vastly different too.]
Attachments
Area 51.jpg
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

I don't know why, but then again, I don't even know what you're basing your mod off of in the first place. Pastebin your version of ScriptedPawn.CheckEnemyPresence(), maybe?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

G-Flex wrote:I don't know why, but then again, I don't even know what you're basing your mod off of in the first place. Pastebin your version of ScriptedPawn.CheckEnemyPresence(), maybe?
It's not based off of no other mod, except some patched maps from New Vision, which is why I am extra confused as to why Bobby is getting Shifter code load attempts, and why capt destro is the login player or whatever.
I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with my mod though, but I cannot be certain.

As for vision of NPCs, perhaps it was always within 2500 UED units. Take a look when I release the mod, shouldn't be long now.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Cybernetic pig wrote:It's not based off of no other mod, except some patched maps from New Vision, which is why I am extra confused as to why Bobby is getting Shifter code load attempts, and why capt destro is the login player or whatever.
The "CapnDestro" thing is presumably because that's what his player name is set to in his user.ini file. I'm not sure why it mentions a team or is trying to load a different player class (MPOrange is a subclass of DeusExPlayer); it's as if he was trying to run/host a multiplayer game and had his user.ini set to load a Shifter multiplayer class for some reason. He really ought to check his settings.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

G-Flex wrote:
Cybernetic pig wrote:It's not based off of no other mod, except some patched maps from New Vision, which is why I am extra confused as to why Bobby is getting Shifter code load attempts, and why capt destro is the login player or whatever.
The "CapnDestro" thing is presumably because that's what his player name is set to in his user.ini file. I'm not sure why it mentions a team or is trying to load a different player class (MPOrange is a subclass of DeusExPlayer); it's as if he was trying to run/host a multiplayer game and had his user.ini set to load a Shifter multiplayer class for some reason. He really ought to check his settings.
Genius. In My Documents the user.ini:
DefaultPlayer]
Name=CaptDestro
Class=DeusEx.MPORANGE
Team=0

In the System folder the .ini(s) Default and so forth are all JCDentonMale.... what. the. fuck? Why would it only affect one conversation/map in all the game anyway? Maybe a glitch in the GOG version but the rest of the game has been running fine.

This from the "User" file in the game directory:
[DefaultPlayer]
Name=Player
Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale

So what would happen if I changed the user.ini file in My Documents to this? I never tried to start a multiplayer game and Shifter isn't installed because of HDTP. The HDTP models and options are in the game and wouldn't be if Shifter was running.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

If you're using Kentie's launcher, then it's probably using your My Documents folder instead of the game's folder to store your logs, config files, screenshots, and (probably) saves. This is to make the game more multi-user-friendly. So yeah, you'll want to edit that one instead.

I have no idea why that one conversation is trying to load that class, though. That makes little sense to me, but I don't know much about conversations. I doubt it has anything to do with the GOG version specifically, since I doubt they changed anything relevant themselves.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I may need to add a new DeusExCarcass, called MJ12EliteTrooper or something, because the MJ12 Troops later in the game get slightly more health and I may need a visual representation of this.

So I may need to compile a new package that extends DeusExCarcass with changes to some multiskins, what would the code look like (an example)?

I may just have to revert their health back to default :(
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

What's the problem with the "elite" MJ12 troopers getting the same carcass class as the normal ones? For the most part, the only differences between subclasses of DeusExCarcass are the collision size, meshes, and skins.