A few Questions

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

bahhgarr
Mole Person

A few Questions

Post by bahhgarr »

I recently bought deus ex on steam and I'm not very far in I just blew up the nsf generator but I have a few questions. Firstly where can I go to buy ammo tranq darts in particular and secondly with augmentations if I dont know where to look for them will I miss out on getting most or alot of them and how bad will it be if I miss some or most?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: A few Questions

Post by bobby 55 »

Hiya. The aug canisters aren't hidden as such. You should be able to find most pretty easily. *Spoiler* just remember to open safes, most are in plain sight though. Upgrade canisters for augs can be a bit tricky to find. People have played the game without augs but there's a couple of them that can be handy in certain places in the game.

You can only buy tranq darts from a couple of NPCs, looting the crossbow equipped dudes is about the only certain way to get them. Ammo can't be bought except for two exceptions and they're limited. Looting dudes usually keeps you topped up with most types of ammo.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Just explore every inch. That is the only true rule to playing the game "properly" really.
Also Darts are better than Tranq darts unless you insist on non lethal or if you want the goodies from MIBs (enemies later in the game).
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

bahhgarr wrote:secondly with augmentations if I dont know where to look for them will I miss out on getting most or alot of them and how bad will it be if I miss some or most?
That's the clue to most all the game. You have to be willing to explore, look, and poke into things like safes and locked doors and you'll find more of about everything than you really would need. Beyond that, most of the augs are pretty obvious (read in your path) when you run across them in vanilla DX (now mods like TNM are another story). There's one exception that the game will tell you about and another couple that it won't but those are pretty memorable once you figure them out.

Good luck on the rest of the game!
Baldur
Thug

Post by Baldur »

Tranq darts + Riot prod = max non-lethal count.

Welcome to the DX community bahhgarr :)

The above formula will never make you short of any thing just balance them in turns. Riot prods for tougher guys and Tranq darts for hard to reach troops. For everything else Baton..zip-zap whoop!!.. :mrgreen:
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Tranq darts + Riot prod = max non-lethal count.
Actually this: Baton + Tranq darts + Riot prod = max non-lethal count
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Baldur
Thug

Post by Baldur »

Knocking guards in motion is tough with Baton. You have to be picky with it.
But for stealth players Baton is hard later on when guards are in numbers and bots, turrets and cams make it a headache to wait for guards to stop and allow me to use Baton.
That's Why I seriously feel pepper spray should be tweaked a bit and made a little effective at Advanced skill to Baton tougher troops.
I always use pepper gun on guards in motion and baton quickly from front. After initial levels of Liberty Island when MJ12 kick in, pepper gun still works but the lasting effect is so short even at Master level. I have forwarded this as a change to expert modders for a patch.
Hopefully this will increase the utility of the gun and allow an alternative for stealth!!.. :)
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Knocking guards in motion is tough with Baton. You have to be picky with it.
Well I usually use the riot prod a couple of times first if I have ammo, then wait a few seconds before using the baton, to make sure they are easy to KO. With tranq darts, just have to hit and wait.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
bahhgarr
Mole Person

Post by bahhgarr »

Thanks for the replies. I now have another question aside from anna navarre are there any other characters that I have to kill?
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Howard Strong has to die or be knocked out.

Of course, toward the end, a key plot point makes you kind of responsible for a ton of deaths anyway, but I guess we can ignore that.
bahhgarr
Mole Person

Post by bahhgarr »

Wait instead of killing anna can you just knock her out?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

bahhgarr wrote:Wait instead of killing anna can you just knock her out?
No. There are a couple of ways to avoid combat directly: 1) Be a snoop. 2) Be inventive in a murderous way. Unfortunately , if you're a pacifist, there's no avoiding a major conflict with Anna.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

bobby 55 wrote:
bahhgarr wrote:Wait instead of killing anna can you just knock her out?
No. There are a couple of ways to avoid combat directly: 1) Be a snoop. 2) Be inventive in a murderous way. Unfortunately , if you're a pacifist, there's no avoiding a major conflict with Anna.
I believe you can try to do so much damage that she starts to flee and open the door for you in the process, but that's rather difficult to pull off.

Short youtube vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsh24FmYlNQ
Longer video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjXKIK8NWEw
Baldur
Thug

Post by Baldur »

gamer0004 wrote: I believe you can try to do so much damage that she starts to flee and open the door for you in the process, but that's rather difficult to pull off.
This is awesome. I have to try this now! This game is so better than I expected. On Anna, she is not that annoying as Gunther. He and latest entry Miguel will die on my every play through :mrgreen: